sangiro

Open Forums

Actually that is a pretty good idea, then I could tell my friends and family about this site.:P

Yeah, good point there. The Community is already invisible to all but registered members so you still have to sign in to read, but having another door to enter for those few that want to, that the masses don't care to, would clean this place way up.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'd be happy to show my Moobs. but i don't think he'll want to see em.

back to the topic at hand, I think it is a good thing that the bonfire is looking for a little cleaner enviroment, It was starting to get old, when every thread was something disgusting and inappropriate. I didn't like opening threads thinking it was one thing, opening the attachment, and getting a naken old lady when my mom was in the room. However, i do think there should be somewhere where this can be done. Just waiting for a reply (different time zones)
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Well, about the only solution would be to create a new forum called "Mindless Drivel" and install the biggest offenders as the moderators. It would have to be set up like the Drunk Dial forum where you request to be allowed to view and post to it, and those who don't care don't even notice it's there. I bet you the traffic in The Bonfire will drop at least 75%. ;)

I think that's an excellent idea. And I really have to hope that the mindless drivel posts about sexual positions, disgusting photos, etc. are not the main draw for most people. I highly doubt the traffic would drop 75%, because those that make those posts would still come onto Bonfire, but it sounds like many who have left it would come back. Not to mention attracting more who would visit once and not come back after reading a typical days' postings.

Sangiro's post has certainly made me think twice about what I post, and whether or not it's really worth saying.

Well, about the only solution would be to create a new forum called "Mindless Drivel" and install the biggest offenders as the moderators. It would have to be set up like the Drunk Dial forum where you request to be allowed to view and post to it, and those who don't care don't even notice it's there. I bet you the traffic in The Bonfire will drop at least 75%. ;)

which i personally would not have an issue with
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You're correct Bonfire has little to do with skydiving (except most of us are skydivers). It used to be "Talk Back" before we had to separate, etc. etc.

I know what Lisa (mouth) is talking about, though. I've been here since (what I'm pretty sure was...) the beginning. It was just a handful of us and we talked about all sorts of things skydiving and non-skydiving related but there was never this element of "FU'ism" that is present here now (however it may be insinuated).

I personally take little to no offense. But, I've also found certain things "getting old". Same shit. Different day.

Like Lisa, I sort-of miss the "good old days" sometimes (where most of us had met, wanted to meet, etc.), but I've definitely still found some new "friends" I've enjoyed here and would likely even "be there for" should circumstance call for it.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Well I haven't met HH and I don't really know how he thinks but posting a joke or a news article or something similar to ehance conversation is a far cry from posts about subjects that MOST people would find extreme and tasteless. I believe that is what HH is giving a caution about as well a caution about extra and totally unnecesary noise.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I'm glad to see these guidelines being re-affirmed, and think it will help create a more positive and worthwhile online community.

WOW! People actually get it! B|

Two BIG statements in there: 1) the guidelines (Forum Rules and Policies, FAQ, Announcements Forum) are not new . . . they are simply being restated so they are adhered to; 2) a worthwhile online community is what we are supposed to be all about! B|
Arrive Safely

John

1) the guidelines (Forum Rules and Policies, FAQ, Announcements Forum) are not new . . . they are simply being restated so they are adhered to

And we see how skydivers adhere to rules. (even USPA BOD's) ;)

What's the problem? It's not like a couple loud mouth idiots have ever taken over a skydiver forum and ran it into the ground before.....

Oh wait.

In the end, it is HH's house. (even though I agree with him)

Well, about the only solution would be to create a new forum called "Mindless Drivel" and install the biggest offenders as the moderators.

We already have one of those . . . it's called The Recycle Bin. The only difference from your statement is that that is how the Moderators uninstall the biggest offenders. :P
Arrive Safely

John

Sangiro... I want to thank you for this site. I have made a lot of friends throughout the country that I NEVER would have made without it. And I can't imagine my life without some of those people.

The way things have been on here lately has detered me from coming here as much as I used to. It has also stopped me from recommending this part of the forums to others. So thanks for making a change.

I hope the "loud obnoxious" users have enough of a clue to understand that you are referring to them.

I have a feeling there are a lot of people trying on the proverbial shoe right now to see if it fits. :|

To me, they look like my combat boots.

Hey don't tell anyone, but I suspect Willem is onto me....now where did I put my dark glasses, and false moustache?

having another door to enter for those few that want to, that the masses don't care to, would clean this place way up.

What you're not getting, Billy, is that that kind of content is not welcome here in this place.

I love analogies, so here it goes . . .

One day you have this vision of creating a haven for skydivers from anywhere and everywhere, along with those who are interested in exploring the ins and outs of the sport - a house in your neighborhood. You spend a lot of time doing research and study on similar havens that have been created, paying close attention to the community dynamics and what does and doesn't work. Then you look for the perfect house, and find exactly what you were looking for! You spend more time arranging the rooms and furnishings of the house so that everything flows and functions well, and so there is a place where people can talk about nearly anything - skydiving related or not. You post some well thought out house rules - only four simple ones - and open the doors to welcome your new friends. This is your house - you created it, you own it, and your vision is finally becoming a reality.

The years go by, and by now you have added on to the house, shifted some furnishings, and made other adjustments to accomodate the now diverse topics of conversation. Included in your house is a special and light-hearted place where people go to share humorous anecdotes, news about their life, birthday wishes, non-skydiving related questions and tips, and a plethora of other off-topic discussions. You haven't been in that room for a while, and you pop in to hear the latest joke or congratulate the birthday folks. You are shocked that the lighthearted humor and birthdays are grossly overshadowed by loud and obnoxious people showing off pictures of their own shit, seeing how many conversations they can start that will offend any and every possible group of people they can think of, passing around pictures of someone's son/brother/father/brother/husband's motorcycle wreck that is now nothing but a hundred little piles of guts spread over a hundred yards of pavement, seeing what combinations of perverse sexual terms will draw the most attention to themselves, and links to things like how to commit suicide or someone eating their shit, an endless string of popups, and other "shocking and sensational" garbage. And for every one of those conversations there are three or four sidekicks that grab the gas can and add fuel to the fire. All of this without any thought as to what possible negative effects this room might be having on all of the others, or why those cool people that hung out here a few years ago have not shown themselves in a long time.

One day you realize that you are spending most of your time dealing with the behavior in this particular room - warning folks, removing folks for a time, interrupting the conversations to remind people of the forum rules, and along the way falling victim to the disgusting and offensive content that is causing all of the problems. Sadly, you really don't talk about skydiving with any of your friends anymore because of it.

Now, go back and read the first paragraph of my analogy and pretend it was your house - your home - the living room of where you live right now. Would you let these people continue to spew that kind of worthless drivel? After you have warned them four or five times and they keep it up, would they still be welcome in your house?

Your answer may be yes - I really don't know. What goes on in your house is really your business and not mine. BUT, this is not your house . . . this is Sangiro's house. He enrolled many of us in his vision for this place many years ago, and we care about it as if it were our own. It wasn't always like this, and reading many of the replies above I can see that there are many of us that feel it can go back to being a community again and not a festering puss pocket.

Onward and upward . . .
Arrive Safely

John

Well said.

A little verbose (;)), but yea. :)

Sometimes simplicity speaks heaps more than the loquacious tinge that an over-verbose answer would create.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

What i don't get is why i have to scroll past the mindless drivel to get to the skydiving related stuff???? This is a skydiving site right???? Why is the Bonfire at the Top??? Why not put all that crap at the bottom???

Just My .02 it's worth what you paid for it and i'm an expert at it....