Thanatos340

Ladies (and guys).. Can you change a Tire?

I was taught how to change a tire in college by an ex. I have had numerous flat tires in my history - I've started the process of changing it, and someone comes along to help me.

I'd prefer to call AAA and have someone else deal with it.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Absolutely. My father required me change one several times before he'd let me drive. In fact, he made a game of it and I had to do it within a certain time limit, too. That's my father. He made me drive the tractor-mower around a coned obstacle course several times under a certain time limit, too, before he "let me" mow the lawn. :S I love my daddy. :)
I don't mind the "knight in shining armor", though. If someone wants to change my tire for free, I sha'nt refuse. I feel no need to grab my crotch and prove myself to anyone. In fact, I had a really great guy friend in high school who was pissed at me once. He was pissed for several days--wouldn't talk to me. On the fourth day, after school, I went to the senior parking lot to find my car had a flat. No sooner had I started to jack it up, he drove by, stopped, got out, changed my tire, and got back in his car. He never said a word to me. I still let him do it. I was right anyways and he was just being pissy. B|:P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Yes. Hell, I'm rebuilding a car right now, I can do just about anything except heavy machining. I've even been known to temporarily plug a tire to get to a place to put a patch on (yes I know you're not supposed to plug radials, but sometimes things have to happen to make it somewhere for repairs).

I've got a good story about loosing my brakes in my truck in Big Bend and fixing (and bleeding) the brakes at our camp site.:)
I stopped in my VW and did a complete valve adjustment while driving to the DZ (3 hr trip back then). Then there's the time in college where I tore the top end of my VW apart to replace the generator and rebuild the Webber progressive I was running at the time. This was in the parking garage on campus (that kind of pissed off the parking nazis).:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

LOL! I was going to say that my form of changing a tire is to call AAA, but I wouldn't mind learning. I was shown how to do it once, long ago, but never having had to ACTUALLY change a tire means that I wouldn't feel confident that I had done it correctly.

Can Troy change a tyre? If so get him to teach you:)If not slap him and get someone to teach you both :ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've even been known to temporarily plug a tire to get to a place to put a patch on

I plugged one with rubber bands once. Lots of them, one after the other, until the hole was really full. I never did get around to getting the tire patched; just replaced it about 6 months later :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

On the van? Fix a flat and some air to get me to the tire place.

On the car? Sure: A few days later after driving to go vote with it flat. :$

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Do hot women EVER need to change a tire?

Believe me, "hot" was never something that I was called until I started hanging out with you guys. :ph34r: I think there are just nice guys out there who like to help a woman out. :)
And for the record, my dad made me change a tire when I was a teenager too. I'd probably have to consult the owner's manual to do it now though.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Changing a tire (as opposed to merely changing a WHEEL) is quite tricky unless you have special equipment.

However, I can change tires, wheels, engine bearings, camshafts, piston rings, valves, ball joints, dampers (shocks), wheel bearings, rebuild transmissions, weld, rebuild carburetors, alternators, generators and starters (among other things).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Changing a tire (as opposed to merely changing a WHEEL) is quite tricky unless you have special equipment.

However, I can change tires, wheels, engine bearings, camshafts, piston rings, valves, ball joints, dampers (shocks), wheel bearings, rebuild transmissions, weld, rebuild carburetors, alternators, generators and starters (among other things).

I expect a demo in Chicago in 2 weeks:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And for the record, my dad made me change a tire when I was a teenager too. I'd probably have to consult the owner's manual to do it now though.

I'd give it a go first. Only if all else failed...

:P

hot" was never something that I was called until I started hanging out with you guys.

You're insane. Or they (i.e. previous idiots) were intimidated.

:):)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I know how, but I've never had to yet. Here's a stupid question: How heavy are tires? :$

I don't know if I can actually lift and maneuver one to change it.

Not a stupid question. Also not real light.
The trick is to just jack the car up enough to get the tire off (or on). If you do it right, you wiggle the tire into position, line up the studs with the holes, and only have to lift it a little bit. 31x10.5x15 truck tires weigh enough to hurt my back, fortunately my Blazer has a screw jack so I can adjust the height to exactly where I want it.

I agree that the best way to learn is to do it. It's a lot better to do it once or twice in your driveway on a nice day rather than trying to figure it out on the side of the road. At night. In the rain.

And there is a reason for the "star pattern". It puts the pressure on evenly across, rather than on only one side. The best way is to go around once, tightening until snug, then go around again, tightening down the rest of the way
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

i can, but now i don't have to. i bought my very first new car a couple years ago and it came with run-flat tires. no spare, no jack, no wheel wrench, nothing. if i have a complete blow-out, i have to call the dealer for road-side asisstance. that came free for the first 4 years, so far i haven't had to use it.

OMG i HATE runflats. @#$%#$@%#$%@$# to replace. At Acura we have whats called PAX tires, and basically there the same thing except there is a rubber/plastic ring on the rim inside the tire to assist with the load of a tire with no air. But, chances are that with runflats you will not have to worry about a blow out. If you saw how thick the sidewalls were, you would feel comfortable shooting a few rounds into it and keep in trucking.

Hi Thanatos,

Interesting question & responses.

I thought you meant actually changing a tire as in removing a tire from the rim/wheel and putting a new one on the rim/wheel.

Growing up that was what changing a tire meant; we usually did it using two large screwdrivers. But those are days long gone by.

Like Kallend, I have rebuilt/modified engines, rebuilt stick gearboxes, rebuilt auto gearboxes, changed out diffs, done lots of suspension change-outs & repair, ball-joints, shocks, struts, etc. It was all part of growing up.

Except for my current one, I cannot think of a car that I have owned that was not modified in some manner.

But I'm old & the world changes [:/].

I taught both of my kids to NEVER change a tire on the oncoming car side, just ruin the tire driving to where it is safe to change it out. I wouldn't want anyone to get hit by an oncoming car; it has happened way too many times.

If you can't change a tire ( your definition ) then I strongly recommend something like AAA.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Just changed out all four on my vehicle yesteday due to the miserable snow that is here. >:(

PPS) How many of you actually check the air pressure in your spare tire? Wouldn't want to get stuck with that one being flat would you? :P

I stopped in my VW and did a complete valve adjustment while driving to the DZ (3 hr trip back then). Then there's the time in college where I tore the top end of my VW apart to replace the generator and rebuild the Webber progressive I was running at the time

Does replacing my 1600cc with the long block I had stashed under the bed of my Type2 1967 Camper.. on the side of Interstate 5 at 3 AM climbing the grade up from Lake Shasta going north count?

I was in college... it was 1986...I knew the old engine was tired.. it was an Spring Break trip to Southern CA to the Mojave Desert from Portland OR.. and I took the spare engine along.. the roller jack.. and the tools.. just in case:ph34r:.. I should have done it before I left.. but.. ok.. so I was in procrastination mode....It took me about 2.5 hours..Ok so it should have gone faster.. but I did have to undo all the bolts holding the tin in place.. and put that on the new block... get the manifolds and gaskets in place... and then pick it up and roll it into place to bolt up;)

The really funny thing was the CHP officer who pulled up.. asked what I was doing.. I showed him.. and he walked back to his car .. just shaking his head.:ph34r: