micduran

US Airways plane crashes into Hudson River

The FBI has made an official statement that this was NOT in fact an act of terrorism. And here I though Al Queda started using flocks of birds. :D

The FBI just doesn't realize Al Queda has leap-frogged our technology with disguised UAV's that pretend to be birds.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Nice the crew gets 'real' life vests. :S

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/01/15/vo.us.air.passengers.exit.wabc

The reports I'm seeing say that "everyone is fine". If true, I'd say the crew earned those.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Nice the crew gets 'real' life vests. :S

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/01/15/vo.us.air.passengers.exit.wabc

The reports I'm seeing say that "everyone is fine". If true, I'd say the crew earned those.

Blues,
Dave

I'd like to see the video of the ditching. I didn't expect it would work out so well when trying to put a plane down on water with two massive sea-anchors hanging below the wings.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'd like to see the video of the ditching. I didn't expect it would work out so well when trying to put a plane down on water with two massive sea-anchors hanging below the wings.

That, and I'm incredibly impressed with the speed and effectiveness of the rescue efforts. I imagine that hypothermia would set in very quickly this time of year in the Hudson.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It is impressive how the Airbus kept in one piece despite this.

I have seen shows (Discovery's Mayday, etc) where an airplane immediately cartwheeled or broke into pieces when one of these engines touched the water, like a scoop, and the airplane disintegrates.

It helps that the water was very calm. And when gliding below 10 feet, putting it down quickly to make sure both engines start 'scooping' water at the same time to prevent cartwheeling. (The thought of slamming a jet onto the water quickly from a 10-to-20 foot planeout, sounds like no fun)

I am no pilot except under canopy, but this is a very successful water landing of a full fledged commercial jet, even if it's merely an Airbus A320!

Hey guys --- I'm @ my gate @ PHL right now (flying US Air, of course), connecting in CLT (of course) to get to TPA. I heard it on the radio on the way to the airport. Good to hear everyone survived.

Now I imagine CLT will be a news channel infested mess. Great. :|

And yes I;m being pissy because there's a couple with a screaming baby in the seat near me. If I didn't have to pick up a rental car I'd be at the bar. :S:S

Always be kinder than you feel.

Damn....that is some fantastic piloting.

There has to be a tremendous amount of skill to put that thing down so nicely. With 150+ on board...that pilot is a hero.

I know reality is different than simulators..but is this sort of scenario practiced in a simulator during training? Can any pilots comment?
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

should read....US Airways plane makes an Emergency Landing in the Hudson River....

the word crash is inappropriate to use here....
to my way of thinking , a crash is when things get smashed, parts get bent, people get hurt,,, or WORSE...

The pilots here, are for sure, heroes... and showed great heads up common sense and POISE.....
Kudos to the aircraft and its manufacturers, as well.....
so pleased to hear that all were able to get away safely...
,, a fantastic conclusion to a serious, scarey and life threatening situation.

jmy

should read....US Airways plane makes an Emergency Landing in the Hudson River....

to my way of thinking , a crash is when things get smashed, parts get bent, people get hurt,,, or WORSE...

Agreed. Crash means it's in many pieces. If it is still in just one big piece, then it was a landing.:|

The pilots here, are for sure, heroes... and showed great heads up common sense and POISE.....
Kudos to the aircraft and its manufacturers, as well.....
so pleased to hear that all were able to get away safely...
,, a fantastic conclusion to a serious, scarey and life threatening situation.

jmy

I think that technically it would be called a "ditch". I think anything that is going to take that much money to recover and fix the airplane can't be called a "landing".

Just my opinion, and agreed that it was a fabulous job by the pilots to put it down that well.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Damn....that is some fantastic piloting.

There has to be a tremendous amount of skill to put that thing down so nicely. With 150+ on board...that pilot is a hero.

I know reality is different than simulators..but is this sort of scenario practiced in a simulator during training? Can any pilots comment?

Yes, I've done a double engine failure to touchdown training in the sim for the CRJ.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Any landing you can use the plane again is a great landing. But in this case...I'd have to say it was a great landing anyway.

Yes, it was a landing, but the turnaround time for landing on water is a bit longer than for landing on asphalt.;)

The FBI has made an official statement that this was NOT in fact an act of terrorism. And here I though Al Queda started using flocks of birds. :D

Are we sure it was a flock of birds OR a flock of wingsuit flyers from Cross Keys?
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Crash means it's in many pieces. If it is still in just one big piece, then it was a landing.:|

so, whats a crash landing then? many big pieces?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Watching the news....pilot has more that 19000 hours....former F4 phantom pilot. The A320 has a "ditching" button, which when pressed, seals all out ports of fuselage to prevent water from entering. and, crew is trained not to open rear doors, this could sink the plane faster.