RkyMtnHigh

Aerodyne Icon

I'm considering a second rig, "won" a discount coupon at a boogie for an Aerodyne Icon. I currently have a Mirage G3, however there are some flaws which need to be modified. My brand new custom fitted M3 cost me a lot, and I noticed that the Aerodyne is considerably less expensive and from what I understand, many of the options for other containers are standard on Aerodyne containers.

For those who have Aerodyne containers, what do you like or dislike or just wish you could modify?

I like my Icon -- I wish my Pilot was smaller and I wish all the color options available now were available when I asked for them --- I was told they couldn't do that then 3 months later it could be done.

You won't be disapointed in the rig - it is comfortable, has great pin protection and looks good

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I love my Icon. I got all the optional bits (i think) but to be honest there arent many because just about everything comes as standard.

Its very comfortable, looks great and has some of the best pin, riser.. covers ive seen.

The only thing i would change if i could is to get the wide chest strap instead of the thin one. Now ive got it i think it could be very uncomfortable if i have a bad opening and my weight is on my chest strap.

I love my Icon and I am about to order another complete rig from Aerodyne (Currently have I6/188/175 and going to get I5/168/160 and sell my current rig).
You are correct that many options that others charge extra for are standard on the Icon. It is a Great Rig, My only complaint is the limited range of Canopies it takes. I have an I6 now and a 168 is the smallest canopy they recommend to put in it so I am going to have buy an I5 if I want to get down to a 150 eventually.
Aerodyne customer service is great. You will not be disappointed.

I currently have a Mirage G3, however there are some flaws which need to be modified. My brand new custom fitted M3

IMHO, the Icon is a big step down from a Mirage. I can't think of one thing that is an improvement on the Icon, but I can think of many drawbacks.

If your Mirage is new, and has flaws, why don't you contact Mirage? They will make it right, and in less time than ordering another custom rig.

I can't think of one thing that is an improvement on the Icon, but I can think of many drawbacks.

I'm thinking you didn't list any of them because you really can't come up with any real issues.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I can't think of one thing that is an improvement on the Icon, but I can think of many drawbacks.

I'm thinking you didn't list any of them because you really can't come up with any real issues.

Actually, I'd like to know what issues Katee has with the Mirage, as well as why Pollster feels the way he does about the Icon.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Since so many people asked, IMHO the Icon has a cheap feel, not very solid. An easily observed example would be to simply look at the secondary riser covers on any Icon with over 100 jumps.

The whole point of my previous post wasn't to discredit the Icon. However, I do consider the Icon a step down from the Mirage. Does anyone want to point out a single feature that is done better on the Icon than the Mirage, aside from price?

I've got 150 jumps on my Icon, I ordered it last fall and it was delivered in the spring.

Generally, I love the design. It's got all the important features borrowed from other rigs, and a few new Aerodyne innovations. I'm very happy with the riser protection, main and reserve pin protection, 3 ring system, and what they call "link-stop-panels", a flap to keep risers and links from damaging the reserve tray. At some point I expect to see some of their designs incorporated into other rigs.

There are some weaknesses. The Icon has a large section of embroidery on the center of the back, an area that I've found a particularly high wear area. The embroidery quickly started looking ugly. I've also had problems with the design of the freefly main handle, I've found sharp corners of the handle are wearing holes in my pilot chute. Additionally I've had problems with my Dbag, I've had to have it resewn a few times.

I have no doubt they'll get these issues hammered out - and probably already have.

To me, the design is good and the workmanship is good, too. As a new design I think Aerodyne is finding a few small required tweaks, which they're figuring out. Everybody I've spoken to have been very good at addressing my concerns.

I see the Icon as equivalent to the Mirage G4, but priced a bit cheaper than the G3 because of the included options.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I just want to reply to this one before a myth is created... I usually try to stay out of opinion issues like this.

An easily observed example would be to simply look at the secondary riser covers on any Icon with over 100 jumps.

I'll just explain this difference between the two systems. The Mirage has Cordura secondary riser covers, The Icon has Para-pack secondary riser covers.

There is a specific reason for this. Cordura that is used on most containers is of the 1000 denier weight (a thick balistic nylon that is tough as nails) Mirage chooses to use this for their secondary riser covers.

The Icon uses 240 denier para-pack or pack cloth, which is a much thinner fabric. However, it is reinforced with a thin layer of balistic plastic. As the secondary riser covers, by nature, are enclosed by the thicker Cordura used in the construction of the outside of the rig, it will never be worn by falls, sliding or spills, or by the normal wear your rig takes when it is packed, so there is no need for the bulker cordura for these flaps. It will jsut make your rig heavier and more bulky at the sides.

I have never in all my years skydiving heard of anyone wearing out a secondary riser cover.

either way, I'm not trying to bash your opinion or defend our design, just giving the reason behind the design.

Regards,

A-
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

An easily observed example would be to simply look at the secondary riser covers on any Icon with over 100 jumps.

I'll I have never in all my years skydiving heard of anyone wearing out a secondary riser cover.

either way, I'm not trying to bash your opinion or defend our design, just giving the reason behind the design.

What I was writing about the secondary riser covers on the Icon wasn't that they wear out, but that they become very distorted through little usage.

BTW, Aerodyne does have a good reputation for customer service, and thier representives are professional.

I've been jumping Icons with Pilot 140s and SMART 135s in them all year. About 400 jumps on them so far. They are holding up well, fit comfortably, and stay closed until called upon to open.. ;)

I am enjoying the Pilots and prefer them to the Vision but I'm looking forward to jumping the Mamba. I've got 2 reserve rides both of them due to snagging my cutaway handle on the door on climbout. Since you are not a fat guy with camera wings at a King Air dz, you won't have to suck in your gut to avoid this. ;) The SMART reserves fly nice and lands gently, even loaded at 2:1.

When I first got the Icons, I didn't like the dive loops, but they were in the midst of changing the design and retrofitted my risers at no cost.. even gave me a couple of demo canopies for the weekend I was without mine.

You can't go wrong buying from Aerodyne. Their products are solid and their service is outstanding.
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

When I first got the Icons, I didn't like the dive loops, but they were in the midst of changing the design and retrofitted my risers at no cost.. even gave me a couple of demo canopies for the weekend I was without mine.

I thought they were odd when I demoed a Pilot 140 on Saturday as well. I did a couple front riser turns, but I think I just used the risers and not the loops. I was having trouble figuring out what I should do with them while stowing the risers before puting the canopy in the tray.

I ve had an ICON for 4 months and i just love it. Looks good, fits nice, the pilot opens slooooowly everytime. As to the customer service, A+
If anything s wrong, they ll take care of you in no time!

--------------------------------------------------
The tongue is NOT only a tool for speech!

the reason icons are cheap is because they are cheap. They won't kill you or anything, but the construction and design is based on research done by non-jumpers of other far superior rigs.

Please refrain from posting until you know what the hell you are talking about!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

the reason icons are cheap is because they are cheap. They won't kill you or anything, but the construction and design is based on research done by non-jumpers of other far superior rigs.

Please refrain from posting until you know what the hell you are talking about.

But GravityGirl,

aren't other rigs automatically better because they're more expensive?

[shakes head]

:S

I personally believe the Icon is a fine rig, and know many happy customers.