Jumpervint

John Mitchell is My Hero

John: seriously. You're married. You dont need to pull off stunts like that to get laid.

:ph34r:

:D:D:D

I hope there are people like you guys around me if I ever need them, truly amazing! I am in awe. B|

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I'm sensing a crack choir song in the making.....

To the tune of "Wind Beneath My Wings"

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
It must have been crazy on that skydive,
Someone fell on poor Jim Lennox's head
Knocked unconscious - his world was fading,
Then John Mitchell fucking saved the day.

So he was the one with all the glory,
While Jim was the one with a head injury.
Now John Mitchell says that it was nothing,
But this man's a shit hot AAD.

John Mitchell knows that he's our hero,
He's everything a jumper should be.
His wife is a babe and he's a hero,
Raise a glass to the Prairie King.

That is a work of fuggin' art right there. B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

You'd get my vote for Skydiver Of The Year if I had any input. Well done! B|

I'll second third that motion! Superb, John.

Great job John Mitchell
vskydiver touched on it briefly, but the first thing i thought of was, "this guy is an FAA Air Traffic Controller", and therefore i'm sure that he
CAN operate on instinct, and with poise and clear headed decision making...Bravo!!!!
as i read Johns own account of the situation,,, the first thing i was thinking,, when he said the injured, had "fallen below" was... UH Oh.. what about all the other 9 jumpers who coullda been directly above that canopy that was about to be deployed...B|[:/]:|...??????

and in the very next line, the guardian Angel indicates that he WAS absolutely tuned into that very aspect of the rescue, and so, LOOOKED,, checked,, verified it WAS clear above,,,, and THEN deployed his friends Main...
WOW...
cool, in the face of trouble...NOT impulsive and panic--y and fully attentive to what was happening....
never underestimate the pwer of some of those who are long- in- the -tooth,,,, when it comes to this sport...
9 times outta 10, they'll come through !!!!
God bless you John.
you should be very proud of yourself....

jimmy

Thanks for all the wonderful words, everyone. :) I'm humbled by all the praise my friends have heaped upon me. I'll try really hard not to let it go to my head.:D

We have a great thing in this world, on DZ.com and at the real DZ's. All of us are there for any one of us when someone needs help. If I can say anything, it's to make a point to look around, in the air and on the ground, to see who needs a hand.

I get by with a little help from my friends.:)

thats a very amazing situation you were put in and equally amazing that everything worked out just right. i think you are an extraordinary person for doing what you did all the while falling to earth at 120+. being a student, you are hearing about all these malfunctions and just bad situation stories. its relieving for me as a student jumper to know that sometimes its not all bad, and that there are people like you out there. like everyone else here, John you are my hero!!!
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

It occurs to me, what you did is right up there on the list of whuffo skydiving myths, along with "breathe through your skin in freefall", "you go up when pull the cord", and "raindrops are pointy on top".

You breathe through your skin in freefall?
You don't think so? The chem e / bio chem guys at my job think so?

Any how BRAVO! Great job!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Well written report on the incident John and thank you for the "thank you". Also, a thank you to Steve Platt (Splatt), who is a nurse/EMT, for his assistance after Jim landed.
As to the comment asking if it was wise to open Jim at 5.5K due to terrain at LP...In my opinion, without question, YES! YES!
The new LP lading area is at the end of the valley, surrounded on three sides by hills that are from one to two thousand feet higher than the landing area. Unless you are directly ovedr the landing area your AAD might never fire.
Second, opening Jim higher allowed valubale added time for Jim to recover before landing and have more landing options. Where is the advantage of having less time?
Would Jim have been any more aware or have more options with less time?
No.
I got home from LP Monday night and talked with Jim. He is still a bit sore but doing okay.
Keep an eye on your friends and be safe up there.
Jeff Sanders
If life is suppose to take you where you need to be...Am I there yet?

Thank you John. I'm not surprised in the least by your skilled flying and decision-making, and I'm grateful that one of my friends had another there to save him. Beers are on me at your earliest possible convenience. :)

Blues,
Dave
P.S. Did I mention we need as much help as we can get in August? :ph34r:

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Jeff,

John is getting a lot of glory, and rightfully so, but you were equally responsible for getting him stable, checking his responsiveness, and signalling John to pull. You 2 are both awesome, and thank you too, I can't think of a better pair to be there when the shit hit the fan.

Doc
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

ahhhh....Jeff, you do post on here....well, you deserve just as much recognition as John; I think we would all be lost without lennox at the dz....so thank you again for saving someone so near and dear to me.;)

yeah, yeah, yeah, i am kind of sweet on you too - :D:D:D:D

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!