psipike02

Helmets

Hey guys, so I'm considering helmets to buy and I came across Bonehead Composites. A few of my JM's at my DZ recommended them too. Does anyone know if they're any good or are all helmets pretty much the same.

Specifically, I was looking at the either The Havok or Mamba....what do you guys think?
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

I don't wear a helmet - unless I'm doing camera, or freeflying.

I thought long and hard about what to get. I got a Bonehead Mindwarp for freeflying, and a Bonehead Optic for camera.

I have no complaints.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

An full-face alternative to the Mamba is the Parasport Italia Z1. Distributed in the USA by Unfeathered.

Very very nice.

edited for spellunking

Or the Oxygn A3
The Z1 has plastic Visor screws doesn't it?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

As in the hinge that holds the visor, just above your ears?

From memory, yup, plastic, with a spring inside. Pretty tough though, and unlike an Oxygn A3, a Z1 will survive exiting a plane with the visor up. Oh, and the locking mechanism is damn sturdy too. That said, I've only done a couple of hundred on mine. It'd look as good as new if I was a little more careful about not knocking it off tables :).

Ok so it seems like the Mamba is winning and everyone says to go with that, but now I have another question.

I was talking to a few of JM's at my dropzone and they you probably shouldnt go with full face helmets until you have at least 50 jumps....have you guys heard that or agree with it?
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

If a student wants to get a full face I recommend purchase after they obtain their A license. Again, it may restrict your vision. Hopefully by the time you have attained ~25 jumps your situational awareness increases, both in freefall and under canopy. I believe in the UK you need to have 50 jumps before you are "allowed" to fly with full face.

BTW, you'll love the Mamba. B|

I HATE helmets. Just a goggle is enough for me.

I also hate helmets on my motorbike, only the cops disagee wenn I leave it home.:(

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

OK, I'm in the UK and I don't particularly want a full-face anyway (not until I have a good reason, apart from the fact that they look way cool).

So far, I haven't found a helmet that fits my weird-shaped head (sort of long from front to back, and XL-sized).

They sell Headshields in the shop at Lillo where I was last looking and they didn't seem to fit me right. Pro-Tecs have been universally uncomfortable. I want something sturdier than Gath. Space for an audible would be nice.

What other options are there for me? Bonehead? Is there somewhere I can try a Guner or a Mindwarp, which people seem to rave about in all sorts of head shapes?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Be a pain at the DZ and ask other jumpers to try theirs on. Try not to be overly sweaty at the time.

Or go to a gear shop, Hinton has a nice one where you can try on many different brands.

Other manufacturers are 2k composites - they're a UK manufacturer who do a very nice helmet called the FF1 which is custom fitted. See if anyone has one you could try or call them up.

Other popular ones at UK DZ's are one of the many different Boneheads or Parasports open face Z1.

You could even try out some snow boarding helmets at snow sports shops. They're probably cheaper and actually have a Snell rating. Just make sure they'd be appropriate for jumping before you shell out for one.

If a student wants to get a full face I recommend purchase after they obtain their A license. Again, it may restrict your vision. Hopefully by the time you have attained ~25 jumps your situational awareness increases, both in freefall and under canopy. I believe in the UK you need to have 50 jumps before you are "allowed" to fly with full face.

BTW, you'll love the Mamba. B|

I'm pretty sure its B certificate and above who can jump with a full face. The 50 jumps you mention ties in with that as you have to have at least this number of jumps plus another qualification to get it.

Pretty tough though, and unlike an Oxygn A3, a Z1 will survive exiting a plane with the visor up.

Don't I know it... :) I've only done it twice during H&Ps.

Don't get this - my OXYGN has survived OK with open visor in freefall.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

BTW, you'll love the Mamba.

You're absolutely right about this. My Mamba just came in this weekend and I absolutely love it. It was worth the wait. Better vision and fit than the Oxygen and easier to open the face shield than the Z1. Oh and check this out. It stays ON MY HEAD in freefall - no more tracking with my hands on my head so I don't lose my helmet. B| It's my 4th helmet and the first one I'm happy with.