Heatmiser

Amazing female rock lead singers...

Janis Joplin and Grace Slick from the old days were awesome, wish I'd been there to see them.

A little more up to date, Shirley Manson from Garbage, and also Cerys Matthews from Catatonia. No one comes close to packing as much sarcasm, spite and malice into a lyric as that little Welsh bird!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

My picks, in no particular order:
Tarja Turunen (old) singer for Nightwish
Anette Olzon (new) singer for Nightwish
Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil
Liv Kristine from Leaves' Eyes
Dawn Richardson from Fireflight
Sharon den Adel from Within Temptation
Sandra Nasic from Guano Apes
Free Dominguez from Kidneythieves
Lucia Cifarelli from KMFDM
Simone Simons from Epica

Aimee Allen. She's pretty new to the scene and I think the name is going to be really well known in the not-too-distant future. I've heard her described as Gwen Stephani meets Sublime and I think that's a fair description. The chick's got some serious soul and she puts on a good show.

Actually Aimee Allen was around a few years ago. her record never hit the presses, but her song "I'd Start a Revolution' was used in Warren Millers "Storm" I think it was storm.

Anyway, that is one of my favorite songs, took a few months to actually find an MP3 of it!
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Too many to list, past and present. There are a lot of amazing female vocalists out there. Its just mind boggling that with all that talent out there, people still pay money to see no talent pop tarts like Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson. :S

Everyone has mentioned some good ones. Also,
In the 70's there was a little spitfire named Ruby Starr. but like so many, burned herself out at an early age. She sang with Black Oak and had her own band too. Can be found on u tube I think
-------------------------------------------------
Lord please help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am.

She's been making music for a while, but if I remember the story correctly, her new style came about after she was jumped/beaten outside of a recording studio.

It changed her outlook on life and hence her musical style. I haven't heard any of her original stuff so I can't talk about how the new style is different from the old.
I got nuthin

Got to share the stage with her at Roskiilde, Denmark a while back, and she's as nice and real as she is talented and tough.

That must have been an awesome stage. I saw Bonnie Raitt with Chris Isaak a few years back and was blown away by that combination.

And Andy... I agree WRT Susan Tedeschi. The first time I saw her she was playing a remote stage at Lilith. No one passed by the stage during her set.... everyone in ear shot stopped and listened with sort of a stunned "who the hell is that" look...
Owned by Remi #?

A few that I don't think have been mentioned...that should be in this thread...

Ronnie Spector
Bonnie Bramlett
Patti Smith
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Christina (Chrissy) Amphlett of the Divinyls....an Australian band.....although IIRC Chrissy is an NZer by birth.

If you havent heard of them, do yourself a favour and download "I touch myself" and/or "Pleasure and Pain". Gold and man could they turn it on live.

The Divinyls and Chrissy in her prime were flat out the most impressive live gig you could go.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

Lily Allen, more pop I suppose, but I think she sings some pretty nice tones...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!