Skootz

Appropriate bartender tip

When the tip is computed it is very tempting to automatically deduct about 1/3 to make up for the taxes I'm paying because, in general, they are not reporting the income.

This was almost always the case when we were primarily a cash world.
Now that everything goes on plastic more and more restaurants and bars are going to paycheck payroll and not handing out cash at the end of the night.
So now, all tips are being reported.

I consider myself a good tipper... again if the service is good - at least 20%. And whenever possible I leave cash for the tip instead of putting it on the credit card I used to pay for the meal.

I guess I find it offensive for the bartenders/waitstaff to treat me differently (not serve me quicker) because I didn't leave $2.50 tip for a 2.50 beer. Bartenders have a lot less less responsibility than waitstaff. It literally takes the bartender a minute or less to complete the transaction.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Here is an example.. Go into a restaurant and the Service is Horribly slow. That may or may not have anything to do with the server. It could be because the kitchen is backed up, The waiter has too many tables (maybe someone didnt show for work or maybe the owners just have not hired enough wait staff.) or any number of other reasons.
You say, the service sucked. I am not leaving a tip. The waiter still has to pay income taxes on 10% of your bill and they are the only one that is financially suffering. The owner still made their money off your meal, The kitchen Still get paid their hourly rate. The only ones getting screwed are YOU (Poor Service)and the wait staff.

In other countries, Sure tips are optional. Here they are not.

Well put.

Also, the dishwashers and bus boys usually get a cut of the wait staff and bartenders tips.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Well put.

Also, the dishwashers and bus boys usually get a cut of the wait staff and bartenders tips.

so the generous wait staff get together at the shift end and all pool the tip so the back counter staff can get their fair share???

Dont think so
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well put.

so the generous wait staff get together at the shift end and all pool the tip so the back counter staff can get their fair share???

Dont think so

I used to work at a busy Embassy Suites we had a full service bar & restaurant as well as large banquet functions, weddings etc... At the end of the night/shift we would give the bussers/dishwashers a cut of our tips.

I also worked the complimentary bar that we offered for 2 hours every night where I usually made between $100 and $200 dollars. One of the dishwashers would usually help me bus tables and grab ice, at the end of the shift I usually gave him $20-$50 depending on how busy I was.

Well put.

Dont think so

I used to work at a busy Embassy Suites we had a full service bar & restaurant as well as large banquet functions, weddings etc... At the end of the night/shift we would give the bussers/dishwashers a cut of our tips.

I also worked the complimentary bar that we offered for 2 hours every night where I usually made between $100 and $200 dollars. One of the dishwashers would usually help me bus tables and grab ice, at the end of the shift I usually gave him $20-$50 depending on how busy I was.

and you think that is SOP for all restaurants ??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well put.

Dont think so

and you think that is SOP for all restaurants ??

I don't know... but you probably don't either...:P

I'm sure that there are restaurants that have allocation procedures in place and others that don't. The one's that don't would hopefully pay the dishwashers etc the going rate for washing dishes (likely minimum wage).

Tip out or Tip Share is SOP and required at every Restaurant I have ever worked at. (Granted it has been over 15 years since I did) but my daughter has a Part time job now waiting tables and She is still required to Tip-out at the end of the night.

Tipout usually goes to Bussers and Bar Staff. Tip out is paid to the House (usually again based off Total Sales from each waiter) and distributed by the house to the Support staff according to Position and Hours worked. At least that is way it worked when I work for some larger Restaurant chains back in college.

The wait staff has no choice. They MUST pay tip out.

So again.. If you stiff a waiter, They pay Taxes on money they did not get and they Pay Tip out to other support staff on money they didnt get. That is why some of them get a little feisty when people under tip or dont tip at all.

The system does suck but I dont see it changing anytime son.

Tip out or Tip Share is SOP and required at every Restaurant I have ever worked at. (Granted it has been over 15 years since I did) but my daughter has a Part time job now waiting tables and She is still required to Tip-out at the end of the night.

Tipout usually goes to Bussers and Bar Staff. Tip out is paid to the House (usually again based off Total Sales from each waiter) and distributed by the house to the Support staff according to Position and Hours worked. At least that is way it worked when I work for some larger Restaurant chains back in college.

The wait staff has no choice. They MUST pay tip out.

So again.. If you stiff a waiter, They pay Taxes on money they did not get and they Pay Tip out to other support staff on money they didnt get. That is why some of them get a little feisty when people under tip or dont tip at all.

I wasn't aware of the "tip-out" process. I stand corrected, my wife and i have had a couple of conversations regarding back counter staff and tips, I'm glad they get something.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm older than you i cant be your son:P
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

When the tip is computed it is very tempting to automatically deduct about 1/3 to make up for the taxes I'm paying because, in general, they are not reporting the income.

This was almost always the case when we were primarily a cash world.
Now that everything goes on plastic more and more restaurants and bars are going to paycheck payroll and not handing out cash at the end of the night.
So now, all tips are being reported.

Mic - agree, there are some places that do this
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I'm older than you i cant be your son:P

Remember, that is Thanatos340 you're speaking to. The only man on the planet with more testosterone is Chuck Norris. In other words, he COULD be your daddy!:ph34r:
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Not really.

An employer must pay at least $2.13 per hour. However, if an employee's tips combined with the employer's wage of $2.13 per hour do not equal the hourly minimum wage, the employer is required to make up the difference.

http://www.dol.gov/wb/faq26.htm

depends on how much the tab is and depends on how hot she is (assuming it is a she). sexist but true!

I DIDN'T WRITE THIS!
But I agree. That being said on average per beer I give $1+change.
so if it were say $2.50 I would give $1.50 per drink if it were a simple draft.
Not for mixed drink it's $2+change.
If there is food than the usual %15.
Long story short, tip well tip often.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

depends on how much the tab is and depends on how hot she is (assuming it is a she). sexist but true!

I DIDN'T WRITE THIS!
Long story short, tip well tip often.[/reply

So... just out of curiosity (and I have never worked in the food industry in my life)... why do the bartenders get upwards of 60% tip but the person serving you a meal only gets 15%.

This defies logic to me.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696

... why do the bartenders get upwards of 60% tip but the person serving you a meal only gets 15%.

This defies logic to me.

the beggary is much more insidious - imagine if the server got paid at the soup - then got paid at the appetizer, then got paid - etc etc etc

a 2 dollar appetizer (15%) tip is 30 cents, what the hell, here's a buck.....
multiply by the number of courses.......

kind of like boiling a frog

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It has to do with the price of the product and how it's distributed.

If your waiter gave your meal one part at a time with a bill you would tip more.
A bartender gives you a drink at a time, thus the $1.50 tip for the $2.50 tip.

Also let's be honest and I hate to be a realist about this, but if a girl were good looking and wanted to make good money why be a waitress? Sadly the same can not be said about us guys.
The day you women tip us as well as we tip you due to your looks....what a great day that will be :)

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

If your waiter gave your meal one part at a time with a bill you would tip more.

Also let's be honest and I hate to be a realist about this, but if a girl were good looking and wanted to make good money why be a waitress? Sadly the same can not be said about us guys.
The day you women tip us as well as we tip you due to your looks....what a great day that will be :)

Kinda proves you men are superficial and we aren't.

And I think women tip better than men in general. At least sadly to say it seems that way. As I said I have never worked in this industry so pure speculation.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696

Yes we men are superficial but we are comfortable with it.
Women tend to be just as superficial but are not comfortable with it.
Hence why guy bartenders don't tend to make as much as their female counterparts.

But yes women do tip more then men at restaurants.
That's due to women being more understanding and can relate to the waitress.

God knows I could. My last relationship....shit I was that girls butler. But that's a different thread.

I DIDN'T WRITE THIS!
Long story short, tip well tip often.[/reply

So... just out of curiosity (and I have never worked in the food industry in my life)... why do the bartenders get upwards of 60% tip but the person serving you a meal only gets 15%.

This defies logic to me.

When my wife and I go out for dinner and have a drink at the bar first, the bar tender gets $2 for seeing us twice ($1 per) and the wait person gets $10-$20 for seeing us 5-6 times ($1.67 - $4 per).

For like amounts of service, the waiter is getting paid more although the percentage is less.

This defies logic to me.

It's because the bartender is usually a man, honey.:)
:D>>>>>

Kinda proves you men are superficial and we aren't.

And I think women tip better than men in general. At least sadly to say it seems that way. As I said I have never worked in this industry so pure speculation.

honestly, i tip according to service, this doesnt apply so much to a bartender because you go to them. if its a beer, he/she gets a dollar, mixed drink at least 2 dollars. not a bad tip seeing is they just had to turn around and grab a beer. it would be rude to give someone less than a dollar so the whole % thing doesnt come into play with a single drink from a bartender like it does with a waitress.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Are you people fucking pissed? For fuick sake, sort your system out!! Pay people a living wage and cut this begging tipping shite out already - you're one fuck up nation:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome