vanair

military service

Used to happen a lot in the Army during the various cut back eras (RIF-Reduction in Force).

Plus one could resign and after a bunch of paper work go into the Reserves or Guard enlisted.

I had a 1SG who was a Major, got "RIFed", became a SSG E-6 made it up to 1SG E-8, but when he walked across the Stage for his retirement ceremony he was wearing his Major rank (you retire at the Highest Rank held). There was one real asshat LT who always made a point of making the 1SG Salute him, the look on his face when he saw the Major Rank was priceless!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Ok i just asked my roommate who used to be a PN. He has never seen or heard of any regulations stating that resigning an officer commission to enlist as an enlisted member.

Really....if you think about it...who would take that kind of a cut? Losing rank, money, and respect? That sounds like a massive NJP..not somthing one would volunteer for.

Back at the end of the South East Asian War Games.... they riffed an awful lot of USAF officer types, the ones who had not made rank in a given amount of time... made them enlisted so they could get in their 20 years and retire at their highest rank.

It really screwed up the enlisted promotions for a while.. since they had so many points for time in service... so they made rank pretty easily:S:S

Ok i just asked my roommate who used to be a PN. He has never seen or heard of any regulations stating that resigning an officer commission to enlist as an enlisted member.

Really....if you think about it...who would take that kind of a cut? Losing rank, money, and respect? That sounds like a massive NJP..not somthing one would volunteer for.

Our Sq/CC (an O-3) and prior enlisted, had to return to being a SSgt (E-5) due to RIF I believe. He was transferred of course, to another installation. Good dude.

It can happen.

I know of atleast one captian that resigned his bars in favor of stripes, it was either that or he was confined to a desk job for the rest of his carrer.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

TE Lawrence did it, went from Lieutenant-Colonel to Aircraftsman.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I've seen it. If you resign your commission, you are starting from scratch. Technically, the Army (or whatever) can enlist you at any rank they want. Practically, former officers will usually come in at least at E-4.

- Dan G

True it isn't something YOU would volunteer for... but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't consider it...

besides I have a great deal of respect for most of the NCO's I've come across (they're not a common sight in my carreer field) so loss of respect isn't necessarily a given...

having said that... becoming an NCO/enlisted wouldn't be something I'd be interested in myself either... but that doesn't mean I'm so closed minded to think that it isn't a viable choice for others...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Why do you want to know...

.:|

That seemed to be your intent, just wondering if you followed through, after all your posts in this thread you appeared pretty adamant about the confrontation happening.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I was an officer in the USAF, Combat Camera. Fairly fun and decent pay, but severe political restrictions. (PM me if you want the details, as I don't want this post to be a book.)

I got out and continued my career in the civilian world. Then Iraq invaded Kuwait and I looked into getting back in. The officer options open weren't too interesting (running the cleaners!?) and I asked the recruiter if there was anything in my line of work. "We need a journalist, but that's enlisted. You wouldn't want that." Oh yeah?

So I got back in, but in the Army as an E5. I had a blast, earned recognition and got promoted. I didn't make as much money, but I was way happier. And if anyone showed me disrespect, I'd challenge them to a game of Trivial Pursuit (no one did.)

Like Icon said, you wouldn't do it. And not many people do so. But I did, and I'm glad.

Ok.. I didn't read all the posts.. But in short, who cares? If the guy is making shit up, he's a knob. If he's bigging up his experience, he's a knob. If you know he's a knob but you need 100% proof - you're a bit of a knob!!

Get over it people - lots of folk lie. And being in the military sounds cool, so people are gonna lie about it..

Heck - I was in the reserves for 7 years and I don't like to say I was in the reserves, 'cause I think it makes me sound like a "weekend warrior".. Even though in my trade we did all the same training, had all the same qualifications, etc.. The only difference is they wouldn't let us work full time (no budget) and they paid us less, and we had fewer benefits..

So yeah, I'm guilty of not talking about it much because it makes me sound like a bit of a knob.. Some people are guilty of talking about more than what really happened because they think it makes them sound cool..

At the end of the day, why give a shit if someone is full of shit? Not worth getting your knickers in a twist, IMHO..

Edit: spelling :$

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

May I suggest you take the time to read the whole thread as it may influence you to change your post once you have all the information as to WHY it is an issue. Pay particular attention to the parts about the Stolen Valor Act and VA benefits.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

But it seems that the OP was just an issue with some douche bragging at the water cooler. And warped's issue with the guy at the climbing gym.

Does Stolen Valor actually cover people claiming service or affiliation?

If some moron working at the WalMart says he was a SEAL, but wasn't - is that against the law?

May I suggest you take the time to read the whole thread as it may influence you to change your post once you have all the information as to WHY it is an issue. Pay particular attention to the parts about the Stolen Valor Act and VA benefits.

The stolen valor and fraud are ligit issues.

The standing in a pub talking shit is not. it's what people do ALL the time about a miriad of issues. loads of people on here talk a lot of shit all the time. Topics may differ but at the end of the day they are all merely knobs
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

But it seems that the OP was just an issue with some douche bragging at the water cooler. And warped's issue with the guy at the climbing gym.

Does Stolen Valor actually cover people claiming service or affiliation?

If some moron working at the WalMart says he was a SEAL, but wasn't - is that against the law?

Saying you are a SEAL teaching climbing and telling people about a myriad of other things including HALO jumps and medals awarded is an issue, a big one.

If you can't see that then just go on about your business.

In my case yes the guy was a fake and got called on it.

Upon the request to come clean on the issue and be done with it, he then challenged the persons asking them and stated he was a real SEAL and would stomp us for questioning him.

He now sees the error of his ways, maybe he will continue but he won't be working around there anymore.

He will probably also be very careful of who he tells his lies and tales of daring do to.

BTW if the guy truly was a SEAL he was going to be offered better employment for the CO would have felt the need to see that he was given a better opportunity.

You see, that is the problem, telling people you are such and such becomes offers for better jobs, people thinking the boys have let you down, that the men you served with don't give a crap, that you are telling the truth when you give your expert opinion of things.

Go take lessons from a fake jumpmaster and tell me how you feel.

Offer a fake D licensed guy a job at a DZ

I did read *most* of the posts, and it seemed to me that some guy was just bigging himself up..

Lying to get benefits is something totally different, IMO - that's fraud. Lying about having done something you didn't - that just makes you a knob.

I think the OP just needed to confront the guy (which it seems like he did anyway), not check through military records records to prove he never served.. Just seemed to me like it was unnecessary.. Honestly - if some numpty wants to make himself look cool by making shit up, there's no need to get all upset about it.. After all, if he want to look like a complete douchebag, that's really his business!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I was an officer in the USAF, Combat Camera. Fairly fun and decent pay, but severe political restrictions. (PM me if you want the details, as I don't want this post to be a book.)

I got out and continued my career in the civilian world. Then Iraq invaded Kuwait and I looked into getting back in. The officer options open weren't too interesting (running the cleaners!?) and I asked the recruiter if there was anything in my line of work. "We need a journalist, but that's enlisted. You wouldn't want that." Oh yeah?

So I got back in, but in the Army as an E5. I had a blast, earned recognition and got promoted. I didn't make as much money, but I was way happier. And if anyone showed me disrespect, I'd challenge them to a game of Trivial Pursuit (no one did.)

Like Icon said, you wouldn't do it. And not many people do so. But I did, and I'm glad.

best post in here. all military in this thread should have been required to post a unifrom pic to uh... "prove" it. :):P
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

if some numpty wants to make himself look cool by making shit up, there's no need to get all upset about it..

ok, somethings bothering me here. your posts used to have a british accent to them, then i read you are originally from canada, so the accent switched to canadian (or is it canadienne?) then you go and use a word like "numpty" and now i'm all fucked up. i just can't read that without putting a british accent on it. more specifically, the accent like supernanny, not the one like the knight bus attendant in harry potter. what the fuck is your accent?

more on topic, if someone isn't receiving some sort of gain out of their lies, they're not worth the time to deal with them. if they are though, they should be taken care of. not necessarily with a belt sander, but i'm sure there are ways to get the point across without violence.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

So it really wasn't against the law.

You can deal with that any way you'd like. Some people choose to ignore idiots like that, others have to confront them. I get that.

As far as not being qualified, sure - that could be an issue. But if someone hires an employee just based on the statement "I was in the military", then they are an idiot. Double check qualifications, call references, and if all else fails, have them demonstrate their ability.