Southern_Man

Post-nuptial shut-off

In my case, it was realizing what I could have done that made me realize I was blaming him for all the problems. It works both ways. :$

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

:oA :o

The Scarlet Letter?[confused]

I was a fornicator not an adulterer!! :D:):D

NOT YOU . . . and adultry is also premarital.:ph34r:

From Wiki:

Adultery (also called philandery) is a form of extramarital sex. It is sexual infidelity to ones spouse. It originally referred only to sex between a woman who was married and a person other than her spouse.

I never banged anyone married while I was unmarried and I had no extramarital fuckery so I was only a fornicator. :P

Hmm -- in the military "adultery" is defined as sex with a person who is not your spouse. Therefore, two single people having sex are both committing adultery. In this case, "extramarital," meaning outside of marriage, doesn't necessarily mean either participant is IN a marriage, just that the act does not take place within a marriage.

(disclaimer: I'm not a military lawyer, but this is how I've heard it defined/presented in military court)

T minus 6 months... :S:)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The subtext of this whole thread is this - people who are
essentially miserable with their sex life and their relationship
will continue to be in that relationship long after it was
close to happy.
That is a truly sad way to exist.

If someone is walking a path and their feet hurt, they stop
and examine the situation in minutes.
In a far more painful emotional situation, they continue
and waste another 5 years of their life.

I think that unmarried people throw away less time.

The oft-quoted statistic is that 50% of marriages fail
(so 50% succeed). We need a better metric for success.

Hmm -- in the military "adultery" is defined as sex with a person who is not your spouse. Therefore, two single people having sex are both committing adultery. In this case, "extramarital," meaning outside of marriage, doesn't necessarily mean either participant is IN a marriage, just that the act does not take place within a marriage.

(disclaimer: I'm not a military lawyer, but this is how I've heard it defined/presented in military court)

Do they actually still punish for that or is that law basically still one the books to use in cases of both parties in the military with a rank difference?

yeah, it's one of those that's still on the books but rarely used -- I've never seen it as the only charge against someone. In the cases I have seen, it's just one of those extra charges they tack on if they have you charged for some other offense -- usually sexual assault, but they could add it for a fraternization case as well.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Yes. It is sad.

But there are lots of reasons to stay longer than an outsider may think is sensible.

Some are realistic, some are wishful thinking.
Some are romantic, some are purely practical.

In my case, I was hoping we could work it out, I still loved her, and divorce was a lot of work and fairly expensive.

In the end we couldn't, it didn't matter, and the divorce was a lot of work and fairly expensive.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

In my case, I was hoping we could work it out, I still loved her, and divorce was a lot of work and fairly expensive.

I always tell people that marriage counselors use techniques
to identify issues and then set a plan for correction.

It is easier to look through a photo album.
Find the happy pictures. Then, ask what changed ? Can that be fixed ?
Either way, make a decision and a plan.

What happened to just getting the shit done that needs to get done? The idea that a marriage should always be exactly 50/50 is just absurd. If things are going right, it will average around there, but life happens and sometimes one partner is going to have to carry a bigger load than the other.

This is absolutely on the mark. When our kids were babies, I never got up in the middle of the night to feed or change them. She let me sleep because I worked in the morning and sleep more soundly anyway. Now that lupus has sapped so much of her strength, I find myself doing quite a few extra things while she rests. Not a problem. It should never be tit-for-tat.

P.S. I don't know what "tat" is, but I sure like the other one.;)

I always tell people that marriage counselors use techniques
to identify issues and then set a plan for correction.

It is easier to look through a photo album.
Find the happy pictures. Then, ask what changed ? Can that be fixed ?
Either way, make a decision and a plan.

Tried counselling. It didn't work for a variety of reasons (one of which was the counselor that she trusted most died).

One of the issues was her difficulty making and sticking to a decision.

Which kinda made any plans useless.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

The subtext of this whole thread is this - people who are
essentially miserable with their sex life and their relationship
will continue to be in that relationship long after it was
close to happy.
That is a truly sad way to exist.

If someone is walking a path and their feet hurt, they stop
and examine the situation in minutes.
In a far more painful emotional situation, they continue
and waste another 5 years of their life.

I think that unmarried people throw away less time.

You're correct, but it's not hard to understand why each is the case. Any breakup is traumatic, but a divorce is all the more miserably so, in so many ways, and in such a drawn-out way (often), especially if there are mutual children. The effect is that, for many married people, the prospect of going through a divorce seems even more daunting than facing the soul-sucking of toughing out an unhappy marriage.

The oft-quoted statistic is that 50% of marriages fail (so 50% succeed).

That statistic is probably not correctly interpreted, and it's for the reason you and I have discussed: some married people stay in unhappy marriages. Yes, about 50% of first marriages end in divorce. But of the 50% who get divorced, all of them, presumably, were unhappy with their marriages. But some of the remaining-married 50% are also unhappy with their marriages. So by my (anecdotal and unscientific) calculations, probably only about 1 out of 3 first marriages remain happy marriages for the long term. And that's even sadder than the sad you said was sad.

You should never work at it harder than the other person, IMO. There's just no return on it.
Sorry she gave up on it. [:/]

A-men brother!
My soon to be X wife came to one meeting....the morning of which I found out later that she was apartment shopping. You can do that when you skim about $4k from a joint account over a year or so.

Any how long story short, you have to love a girl who only likes to make friends with those who are dumber than her. For these "friends" will gladly divulge everything when the time is right. So what she skimmed $4k from out account to be able to afford rent and new furniture.

I think Karma is starting to screw her gooooood! :)Where before I cooked and cleaned and made sure she had a warm meal and a clean house to come home to when she came home from her evening classes.....well turns out she can't afford those evening classes and now has a 3 jobs. And....oh this is the part that I sadly find funny....due to her apparent poor eating habits due to not knowing how to cook she has developed some sort of intestinal issue.

And the best part.....she has already signed the legal paper work stating she will get nothing in the divorce. And has sent various emails and text message to me and my lawyer stating as such. Not that I have any money to give her. But this is too funny.
Sad yes, after all I loved her and wanted nothing but the best for her but.......she's the one who put me on the sex diet, she's the one who gladly took full advantage of me and yes...she's the one who did not put 1% effort in therapy.

So the question is have I learned anything from this 9 months of hell? Yes. The next girl can make her own dammed dinner twice a week, wash and fold her own freaking clothes and pay for her own education. I'm taking that time and money and using it on someone who really gives a shit about me...ME! And if her sex drive is not with in 90% of my sex drive?
Well there is the door have a nice life.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

You should never work at it harder than the other person, IMO. There's just no return on it.
Sorry she gave up on it. [:/]

A-men brother!
My soon to be X wife came to one meeting....the morning of which I found out later that she was apartment shopping. You can do that when you skim about $4k from a joint account over a year or so.

Any how long story short, you have to love a girl who only likes to make friends with those who are dumber than her. For these "friends" will gladly divulge everything when the time is right. So what she skimmed $4k from out account to be able to afford rent and new furniture.

I think Karma is starting to screw her gooooood! :)Where before I cooked and cleaned and made sure she had a warm meal and a clean house to come home to when she came home from her evening classes.....well turns out she can't afford those evening classes and now has a 3 jobs. And....oh this is the part that I sadly find funny....due to her apparent poor eating habits due to not knowing how to cook she has developed some sort of intestinal issue.

And the best part.....she has already signed the legal paper work stating she will get nothing in the divorce. And has sent various emails and text message to me and my lawyer stating as such. Not that I have any money to give her. But this is too funny.
Sad yes, after all I loved her and wanted nothing but the best for her but.......she's the one who put me on the sex diet, she's the one who gladly took full advantage of me and yes...she's the one who did not put 1% effort in therapy.

So the question is have I learned anything from this 9 months of hell? Yes. The next girl can make her own dammed dinner twice a week, wash and fold her own freaking clothes and pay for her own education. I'm taking that time and money and using it on someone who really gives a shit about me...ME! And if her sex drive is not with in 90% of my sex drive?
Well there is the door have a nice life.

You say "I think Karma is starting to screw her gooooood!" and you may be right but... she may say it's worth it. Not a knock at you but she may have been so unhappy that giving up all those things may be worth it to be free.

:|

Sure! She may have hated me.
But three years of a sex diet and taking advantage of all I had to offer?

I know I'm not gods gift to women, but gosh darn it I tried my best to be a good husband in supporting her in every thing she did or wanted to do.

And now HERE COMES KARMA! Enjoy your three jobs darling! And I'm so sorry you cant finish you education.....where do you think that $10k a year was comming from.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

make her own dammed dinner twice a week, wash and fold her own freaking clothes and pay for her own education. I'm taking that time and money and using it on someone who really gives a shit about me...ME!

That's not an unhealthy way to go into a relationship. Don't make it an aggressive thing, just an assertive one. You're worth it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

make her own dammed dinner twice a week, wash and fold her own freaking clothes and pay for her own education. I'm taking that time and money and using it on someone who really gives a shit about me...ME!

That's not an unhealthy way to go into a relationship. Don't make it an aggressive thing, just an assertive one. You're worth it.
Wendy P.

Wendy I agree with you 10000000%
What I did in my last relationship was forgo myself respect to give her what I thought every guy should.
Next time around, I will do my upmost to maintain my dignity and to make it an equitable relationship.

Wendy P.

What I did in my last relationship was forgo myself respect to give her what I thought every guy should.
Next time around, I will do my upmost to maintain my dignity and to make it an equitable relationship.

Right on, dude...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Wendy P.

Yeah, if you offer yourself as a doormat, don't be too surprised if you get walked all over.

Love makes you do dumb things.
It makes you surrender your self to some one who really didn't deserve it.

Love makes you do dumb things.
It makes you surrender your self to some one who really didn't deserve it.

That is always temporary.

Unless they actually do deserve it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Wow, I'm either the only person to actually experience the Shut-Off or I am the only one who will actually write about it. Seems like it is pretty common according to people I talk to.

Your experience is typical. Most of the guys at the office are on the Jenny Craig plan, and they have been for years; these are guys in their 30's and 40's. Pretty sad; they're frustrated too!

My better half is a stay at home mom, and I live close to work, so when the kids are in school...lunch is for loving. We don't have to be quiet, and we can use the couch too. Early 50's now, cycling fitness with 3000-miles/yr, and now relying on that blue pill when there's real work to do. She's in her mid 40's, lean and fit, and slippery when wet. We're pushing past twenty years together. As a previous poster said, teamwork makes it work.

One of our DZ.commers tied the knot today...

So we shall see if there is a shut-off... today is day 0

On a Thursday? Justice of the peace? Who?

I'm afraid that info is classified, its a hush-hush thing so far.

More details will come out soon.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message