FlyingJ

"Really, I was in the Army..."

He said he wasn't but that he supports the Marines. I wasn't a dick about it but I said don't wear the shirt unless you are or were one, or are a wife or girlfriend or have some connection to someone who is in.

Yeah, you were a dick. He can wear whatever T-shirt he wants.

Are you a Marine?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

He said he wasn't but that he supports the Marines. I wasn't a dick about it but I said don't wear the shirt unless you are or were one, or are a wife or girlfriend or have some connection to someone who is in.

Agreed, 100%. It sucks when people get a false sense of entitlement because they chose a certain career field. If 'imitation is the best form of flattery,' some of these pricks can't take a complement.

I wonder if they also get butt-hurt over someone wearing BDU's on halloween?

I had someone bitch at me for having a high-and-tight along with my facial piercings and tattoos. I'm obviously not in the military anymore, so apparently I wasn't supposed to have that style of haircut. Sure, it's not a haircut unique to the military by a long stretch, but the dumbass felt entitled to it. But eh, that's just some military folk. The same ones that were the bottom 5% of their graduating high school class that wouldn't be able to hack it in college if they cheated.

Are you a Marine?

Negative. But I have 13 years military experience in the UK military.

I never wear any insignia of my old unit, but I don't care if the Walter Mitty types want to. It's their freedom. They should enjoy the right to exercise it.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Stolen valor act was a law, got repealed due to conflict with 1st amendment. Now a new one is being passed but not for wearing a uniform but for fraud. So if the person is using it even to get a free beer it is considered fraud and they can be arrested for it.
a couple of years ago I was briefing a group of tandem students, one of them had a USMC t shirt on, as I did. He didn't look the part so I asked when he was in? He said he wasn't but that he supports the Marines. I wasn't a dick about it but I said don't wear the shirt unless you are or were one, or are a wife or girlfriend or have some connection to someone who is in. That people make assumptions. Although not a uniform I make the assumption that the person wearing it, is or was in. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but I like my cave.

I appreciate your view and wouldn’t wear a t-shirt with an armed forces logo myself but it isn’t too far of a stretch to say I shouldn’t wear a Phillies jersey because people might assume I played for them. Maybe I am just a fan.

If 'imitation is the best form of flattery,' some of these pricks can't take a complement.

The guy said he wasn't a marine, so he was clearly wearing it because he thought marines were cool...

Vanair - do you get upset when people wear Superman t-shirts as well?? :D:D:P
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Vanair - do you get upset when people wear Superman t-shirts as well?? :D:D:P

Uh-oh, you mean I can't wear my "World's Greatest Lover" T-shirt anymore??[:/]

I know there's free speech and imitative flattery, but having seen the sacrifices people have made serving in the military, I can understand their dismay with any posers. A lot of people gave their all in those uniforms.

I might take exception to anyone wearing an "AFF-I" t-shirt that didn't have the rating. :P

I had a coworker who had a stack of gray t-shirts with "ARMY" on the front, some promo giveaway. He wore one of those shirts to work everyday for months. I'm sure he wasn't being a poser, though. He was more of an ironic hipster. :|

I know there's free speech and imitative flattery, but having seen the sacrifices people have made serving in the military, I can understand their dismay with any posers. A lot of people gave their all in those uniforms.

I think there is a difference between someone wearing a piece of uniform/t-shirt because they think it's cool, and someone pretending they were/are a soldier... The first is flattery; the second is rude/insulting. Still, since the poser usually ends up looking like an ass, I see no need to get all upset about some idiot looking like an ass... I think *most* people who hear someone brag they are in the marines/SAS/SF just assume it's a load of bollocks anyway...

Having said that... Calling out a poser can be really fun! :D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I think this also requires stating a difference between wearing a "usmc" t-shirt and wearing full dress uniforms with insignia, tauting stories to try and get benefits that were not earned by serving. I also don't consider telling stories to get attention / beer, or holding a sign that says "homeless veteran" to be benefits earned by serving. I mean more along the lines of getting VA benefits, or any real form of fraud. I would hope a court system would not make someone serve time (and waste tax dollars) because some kid tries to get a $4 beer by saying he was in the military and some self-entitled marine gets butt-hurt over it. A fine or community service could be in order, but let's save jail for criminals.

EDIT: Looks like Nataly beat me to the punch! lol

I wasn't a dick about it but I said don't wear the shirt unless you are or were one, or are a wife or girlfriend or have some connection to someone who is in. That people make assumptions. Although not a uniform I make the assumption that the person wearing it, is or was in. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but I like my cave.

Based upon this precedent I would like to officially ask all skydivers to stop wearing base jumping shirts.

Kinda silly huh?

It might worth be noting that the US Military has some of the best PR firms in the world working for them and they love civies wearing their shirts.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

I think there is a difference between someone wearing a piece of uniform/t-shirt because they think it's cool, and someone pretending they were/are a soldier... The first is flattery; the second is rude/insulting. Still, since the poser usually ends up looking like an ass, I see no need to get all upset about some idiot looking like an ass... I think *most* people who hear someone brag they are in the marines/SAS/SF just assume it's a load of bollocks anyway...

In cycling there is an unwritten principle:
- Wear a team's jersey, and you are showing support for the team.
- Wear the full kit, (jersey/bibs/socks), and you are a poser.
An exception to the latter is if it is a vintage kit of a team that no longer exists.

If a guy was wearing a full military uniform, I can see having a problem with it.
But a t-shirt?
Fugeddaboutit.

Having said that... Calling out a poser can be really fun! :D:D

I caught one once.
He was claiming to have been a POW in Vietnam.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yep it was just a Tshirt.

I had sent some to my friends and family after I got out of school, I would have been pretty pissed if someone gave them grief over it.

That's right, I WIN!!! :D:D:P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Step right up for your big pat on the back!:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Only when that person is in fact not Superman, of course. You never know unless you ask.

The external underpants do make him easy to spot though...
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I've always been more impressed by people who don't need to "smack down" other people. I was in a bar once with Denny Chalker who had some kid tell him he was an expert skydiver and SCUBA diver, just like those SEALs. Denny just nodded and said "that's great kid" and went back to his beer.

+1
Downsizing is not the way to prove your manhood.

Step right up for your big pat on the back!:ph34r:

No thanks - my skin is still peeling... :S:|
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Are you a Marine?

Why yes, I am. B| Actually, I agree with DocPop. The t-shirt wearer in question freely admitted his non-affiliation. Plus, I rarely see operators wear the "gear" of their organization. Usually the only people wearing the t-shirts, jackets and hats are the fans. ;)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

An exception to the latter is if it is a vintage kit of a team that no longer exists.

So I shouldn't have smacked down that guy last sunday for pretending to be Eddy Merckx?:o
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So I shouldn't have smacked down that guy last sunday for pretending to be Eddy Merckx?:o

Now I actually have encountered the Garmin team on occasion around here, but a year ago I met a guy in full Garmin kit. The funny part was the rolly-polly belly he had. If you are looking for comedic effect, that works quite well.:D:D:D