FlyingJ

"Really, I was in the Army..."

Had some time to kill at the ATL airport so I was waiting in line to be seated at a bar/restaurant. Military looking kid (hair cut/cammo bag, obviously going for the look) was standing at the bar sharing war stories. He didn't notice the LTC in uniform standing just behind him as he goes on and on. LTC listens for a few minutes and then asks the kid a few questions and quickly determines that the kid is full of shit. He is not (nor was he ever) in the service. With enviable patience and barely audible the LTC issued a most impressive smackdown, followed by paying for the kid's lunch "so you can move on to thinking about your life out of my presence."

This happened back at the beginning of May, but it came to mind while thinking about my family and friends that are currently serving. What a freakin' douche dealt with by a true class act.
Killing threads since 2004.

When we traveled, we did not look or act like military, and there have been a few times I was at the bar and heard one of those guys telling their war stories... No insignia on their beret, both shoulders slick, and MAYBE some mosquito wings on their chest.

Kinda makes the rest of us look bad. Wish I could've seen that LTC take care of that guy though.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Meh... People do that about all kinds of jobs/activities they consider cool... How many times has anyone told you they're a hard-core skydiver, only to then reveal they've done a 10-minute free-fall tandem jump, with like a static-line to like open up the parachute like SUPER fast, man...!! :D:D

I had a guy in a bar tell me he was a pilot, and it turned out he was just a tech like me... In fact, I actually outranked him, I found out the next day!! :D:D Classic!

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I've always been more impressed by people who don't need to "smack down" other people. I was in a bar once with Denny Chalker who had some kid tell him he was an expert skydiver and SCUBA diver, just like those SEALs. Denny just nodded and said "that's great kid" and went back to his beer.

I've always been more impressed by people who don't need to "smack down" other people. I was in a bar once with Denny Chalker who had some kid tell him he was an expert skydiver and SCUBA diver, just like those SEALs. Denny just nodded and said "that's great kid" and went back to his beer.

Ahh, but did he say he was a SEAL?

I've always been super impressed by all the friends I've had that have been SEALs or SF. They are some of the most low key, intelligent, competent people I've ever known. The faker or two I've met have been very insecure and underwhelming. My "real deal" usually take the faker thing in stride, often with a chuckle, but I can certainly forgive them for the occasional call out. I think sometimes the situation demands it. :)

I was doing some training up at the Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, Cali. When I was leaving I was flying out of Reno. There were two SSgt's one Gunny, and one Master Sergeant on my flight. All four of these Marines were Drill instructors at the recruit depots. Anyway, we are walking through the terminal and out comes this "Marine" in full dress blues. The only problem was, he had no ribbons or medals on, he had a Lance Corporal rank on while wearing trousers with a blood stripe. (Enlisted Marines get their blood stripe when they are promoted to full Corporal) and he was wearing Sketchers boots. I hear the Gunny, say "oh fuck no" B-lined it to this kid, then all four of them tore him up in the middle of the airport terminal. They then turned him over to the Police and he was arrested.

he was just a tech like me...

Tech Sergeant? Are you in the Air Force? In France???

No and no and no... AVN Tech, Canadian Forces, about 10 years ago!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Canada had a Military? = Whodathunkit:P

Yeah... They go around cleaning up the messes all the others left behind! They do it politely and with a smile. They come up with ingenious uses for duct tape (due to lack of funds), and educate the locals by teaching them the proud game of hockey (floor hockey in tropical regions).

:D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Even the Swiss have an army... I thought it was just the pocket knives! :$:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Even the Swiss have an army... I thought it was just the pocket knives! :$:D

And the Swiss guard have pretty uniforms to guard the pope

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Stolen valor act was a law, got repealed due to conflict with 1st amendment. Now a new one is being passed but not for wearing a uniform but for fraud. So if the person is using it even to get a free beer it is considered fraud and they can be arrested for it.
a couple of years ago I was briefing a group of tandem students, one of them had a USMC t shirt on, as I did. He didn't look the part so I asked when he was in? He said he wasn't but that he supports the Marines. I wasn't a dick about it but I said don't wear the shirt unless you are or were one, or are a wife or girlfriend or have some connection to someone who is in. That people make assumptions. Although not a uniform I make the assumption that the person wearing it, is or was in. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but I like my cave.

He said he wasn't but that he supports the Marines. I wasn't a dick about it but I said don't wear the shirt unless you are or were one, or are a wife or girlfriend or have some connection to someone who is in.

Yeah, you were a dick. He can wear whatever T-shirt he wants.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA