hcsvader

Snip Snip

I haven't had it done yet but I'm seriously considering it: it'll be done in the next couple years. I went so far as to have the initial consult, but didn't followup because at the time the wife and I weren't ready for the commitment to not ever having rugrats.

From what I've gathered, the procedure itself is pretty much a non-issue. Outpatient procedure followed by a long weekend of TV and icepacks. Up and about in a couple days, back to your regular life in less than a week, no problem. The procedure carries the risk of infection that all procedures do, but otherwise reasonably manageable risk.

I'll be watching this thread. What I expect to hear from most guys is what I have heard from literally everyone to which I've talked so far: they're happy as can be with the results. Thing is, all of the men I've talked to had kids prior to their vasectomy.

It's the commitment thing that you really need to get your head around. Once done, there is not a 100% possibility it can ever be reversed, and IIRC the probability of reversal decreases for each year after it's done. While the vasectomy is a simple procedure, the reversal is quite involved and (as I already mentioned) NOT a guaranteed fix.

How old are you? I'm almost forty now. When I was in my 20s I was sure I didn't want kids but didn't get it done then because I understood my mind might change. I know (from your posts here) you have an awesome, wanderlust-filled life into which kids would not fit right now. BUT, that will change. Consider the long-term ramifications of your choice.

I'm NOT saying don't do it. I'm saying: make sure you do it at the right time of your life.

Elvisio "frozen peas will be my friend" Rodriguez

Yeah thats pretty much where I am at in life dude.

it seems like I am going to be single forever... Never been in a relationship that lasted more tan a few months and I dont see it happeneing anytime soon... if ever

Your right about the commitment thing... I DO NOT want children now... but I can see that changing in the future.

The deeper I get into this lifestyle the less chance I see of me ever coming out of it... it's an intersting journey.

I guess the best way to go would be to do the consult but Im too busy to even worry about having the chance to impregnate someone at the moment that I figured I would ask the guys here.

Sure would be great if someone came out with the "pill" for men hey...
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Yeah...but well...rubbers are fun!
You can get them in all shapes and sizes.....
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Your right about the commitment thing... I DO NOT want children now... but I can see that changing in the future.

For me, this is the most telling part of your reply. The fact that you can "see that changing." If you can even conceive (no pun intended) of that changing, then I'd suggest you hold off. Although kids aren't important to you now, you may find that one day they're the most important thing in the world to you, and realize that you can't have them. All it might take is meeting the right person.

It's much like what changed our minds (mine and the wife's): when we were in the consult with the doc we asked about reversal. He explained the possibilities and issues with reversal, and then mentioned that whenever he heard someone asking about reversal he got worried that the couple wasn't ready to commit to the procedure. The patients he knew were ready were the ones that didn't even have to ask about reversal. We went home, thought about it, and decided he was right.

And I just can't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6r7nuUTenk

Elvisio "still looking forward to shooting blanks" Rodriguez

If you can even conceive (no pun intended)

You can't fool me.I know you did that on purpose!
:D:D:D

I'm gonna nip this in the bud and say, "Now cut it out and play the ball, not the player."
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've had it done.... it's not a big deal. Of course, I already have kids (2 that I know of, and 1 of each type) so the decision was easier on that note...

As far as the actual procedure goes... it took a total of about 1/2 hr door to door. Just a local near the boys, a bit of a shave, a big assed butcher knife, and it was done. Ok... it prolly wasn't all that big of a knife, but when sharp instruments are being used anywhere near there, ... B|

Keep a cooler of beer at hand cause it's a bit of a discomfort to get out of the recliner for a couple days.... Wear a size or two, too small tighty-whities... keep the boys well secured and contained, and you won't feel like ya got kicked in the nuts. Don't make the mistake of thinking you'll be fine if you don't, cause you won't.

Remember, it ALWAYS "hurts like hell honey", even though it doesn't. Play that card right and you should be able to milk it out for damn near a week before you have to get back to doing chores and shit.... :)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I went in for the consult and met with the doctor along with his quite old nurse. I was pretty comfortable with her assisting...next day I go in for the procedure and there is this beautiful young blonde assisting my doctor :o....quite humbling to say the least! I won't go into the details of how they prep the area, but I would have preferred the ol' girl would have done it. The short of it is (no pun intended)...... two days and some minor swelling and you are back to your old self ...no sweat :D

Fear is the thief of dreams.....

I thought there was a male version of the shot.

Besides even if you had a pill you would still have to wrap it, unless you like the idea of waking up to suprise crusty stuff. :o
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I was 20.
BEST DECISION I EVER MADE.

I went in at 8am, got numbed, sat for 20, doc cut me open, snip, tie, burn, sew. cut the other open, snip, tie burn, sew. Gave me a script for some good drugs and I was out by 8:45. I sat on the couch the rest of the day and was in the sac with my girl the next evening. NBD.

GET IT DONE.

PS- It always is funny when friends don't believe you and you have to show them your scar. (a tiny <1cm incision on the sides of the coin purse)

in my opinion, kids are overrated. i have 3, and yes they're great, but it seems like they are just another marker of success for some people. at one time, it was necessary to have a huge family for help on the farm and such, but now it's not needed. and there's the old continuing the bloodline tack. if you can get around that, it's not really that great having them. a lot of work and sacrifice. also, getting snipped was the best decision i ever made. i was back to work after 2 days, on a light work schedule. watch out for one thing, i got constipated from the pain pills and didn't shit for a week. that part sucked.
http://kitswv.com

Had it done 7 years ago at 36. No regrets. Knew early on I didn't want kids. Wasn't in a relationship at the time so perfect timing.

Just make sure you have a couple bags of frozen peas waiting when you get home from the procedure. They will be your best friends.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Had it done when I had no kids, but I/we knew we didnt want any.

Sounds like you're not sure at all that you'll wont want kids at all. Think about that for a while before making your decision.

Beside, condons may not come in ALL sizes (and stop bragging :P) but you still should still use them. Who knows where the girls who want to hang out with you have been before ;):P

Remster

Last time I suggested someone do this I got a little slammed for suggesting it :$[:/]

I will say what I said then, If you don't ever want kids, go for it.

However, if you aren't sure, then don't.

I drove my hubby and myself through the "Blizzard of 93" to Bethesda Naval Hospital to get him snipped. He said it was a piece of cake, which may have been the drugs ;), but for me, the drive home was through more snow than a So.Cal. girl should ever have to handle! :o

Neither of us have regretted that decision. :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hi HCS

Don't sweat the consult. I was to busy so I sent my people;)

The Dr didn't find out we didn't have kids until After he completed the procedure.:o It used to be a big deal getting snipped without kids.

It wasn't until after I got got snippped that they starting coming out with the serious STD's :(. Sorry thats not my baby:), is this your stdB|

Anyway when soldiers started to get sent to the sand pile etc, there were stories of guy's sending a couple of squirts to the sperm bank just in case B|.

We got a nice Snip Snip pin from the Dr. The circle with the arrow has a piece cut out of the circle.:P

R.I.P.

One Jump Wonder

Besides even if you had a pill you would still have to wrap it, unless you like the idea of waking up to suprise crusty stuff. :o

I think there's a male version of the pill and shot but i don't think it's on the market quite yet. I think it's still going through FDA approval. From what i understand it's 100% effective provided it's used properly.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Damnit I was just at the sexual health clinic this morning getting my results and getting some booster shots... (im still not damaged goods. YAY)

Should have asked them about this.
I think there's a male version of the pill and shot but i don't think it's on the market quite yet. I think it's still going through FDA approval. From what i understand it's 100% effective provided it's used properly.

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Interesting to hear that some guys are getting the vasectomy before having any kids. Have those guys noticed much stigma about that?

While girls don't want any birth control accidents either, I find some get somewhat distrustful as soon as you say you REALLY don't want kids (and not just "not now"). There's the idea that you're a little defective or gay or something if that's your attitude. Is that worse if you are snipped or do they at least see it as a done deal so there's nothing to argue about?