skybytch

Sky Birthday

Happy Sky Birthday to me! Please excuse me while I ramble down memory lane through some sweet and bittersweet memories...
Twelve years ago today I made that long drive out to a drop zone that no longer exists. When I walked into the hangar I smelled that sweet smell of parachutes; I think I was hooked from the first whiff.
Met Al, who would not only be teaching my first jump course but over the next three years also taught me to be a jumpmaster, instructor, rigger... and much about life, and as it turned out, also about death. I loved him and at times I hated him.... I miss him a lot. Wish he was around today to see how far I've come.
My b/f had done his first jump the week before, and had given me the "home study" FJC repeatedly over the last six days. So for me the FJC was mostly a review of what Tom had told me, so much so that, as I found out a month of so later, on my lunch break Al went to Gregg (who would be the JM for my first jump, and later a very good friend) and told him he thought I might be a "ringer" (someone who'd jumped before and was there to check out their operation). Gregg knew better when he saw my face turn white when the door opened!
Finished the FJC and Al asked if I was ready to skydive. "If you think I'm ready, I guess I am." Got geared up... a burgundy jumpsuit that I'd wear and put on many students over the next few years, radios, helmet, goggles, gloves, and a Strong Combination Tandem student rig, the one with CIA stenciled on the back, a ManOWar main and a big ol' round reserve. Mike "Freefall" was hanging around watching and asked me why I'd decided to jump. "It's all my boyfriends fault; he did his first jump last week." "Ahh...." I could tell he figured I'd do one jump and never come back.
It was slow that day, so Gregg and I were the whole load. Karl taxiied up in the 182, 47Bravo, and we got in. Sitting next to the door, back to the panel, I felt okay; it was all a bit unreal at that point. We took off into the cool winter air and started the climb to 3500'. Gregg kicked back and closed his eyes; I wondered how anyone could be that relaxed considering what we were about to do.
I enjoyed the ride to altitude, conveniently ignoring the fact that soon this man would be telling me to climb out of the plane. All too soon, Gregg asked me to lean forward; he checked the pins and retrieved the static line. Hooked it up and gave it to me to check. Tug... yup, it's attached. Karl turned onto jump run and nodded at Gregg... "door!" and all of a sudden I was one inch from a 3500' drop! OMG.... Gregg looked out of the plane, looked back at Karl, "cut!", then he looked at me and said "climb out!" Huh? Me? You MUST be joking?.... "left hand" left hand out to the strut "left foot" left foot onto the step "right foot" holy shit Tom what have you gotten me into? "right hand" damn that prop blast is strong slide the hands out to the end of the strut, right foot comes off the step NO. Oh shit. Gregg smiled and pointed at my left foot, still on the step. Nooooooo. He smiled again and pointed more deliberately at my stubborn foot... grimace, okay! I'm hanging from the strut of a 182 flying at 3500' omg is he ever going to say "GO!" Eyes close, let go, ARGH!
Not quite sure what happened next... of course the canopy opened, I felt exactly what I'd been told to expect but my brain was still up in the plane watching. It joined me a few seconds later and together we checked out the canopy above us. I can hear Al's voice in my ears, "looks like you've got a good canopy, do your housekeeping and controllability check:" Looking good, turns and flares, and all of a sudden I realized just how awesome this was. "This is so fucking cool!!!!" - I knew they could hear me in town...
Al talked me all the way down to a decent PLF in the plowed field. As I was trying to daisy chain the lines, Paul came over to help me out. "So what did you think?" .... "You're sure this is legal? Nothing this fun should be legal!!"
Walked back to the hangar and got undressed, feet still not quite touching the ground. Gregg told me I'd done okay, but really should have arched instead of arghed. Al came over and congratulated me. Got my logbook and first jump certificate, then got in the car and drove home. Funny how the scenery I'd seen hundreds of times before looked different - the colors were more vibrant, trees looked more alive, and none of those people in those other cars have any idea!!
It was all over, the hook was set, next week I did it again, then two the week after that, and so on, and so on.....
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

You should go treat yourself to a skydive for the occasion. Ah hell we all should

Oh I agree wholeheartedly! You all really should treat me to a skydive for the occasion!
;) *giggle smirk* ;)
Thanks to all of you for the kind words.... and thanks for not singing Andrea! Really! :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

Hey chuck...they said leonardo devici (sp) created the first know chute that was similar in design to the rounds that were jumped but they say there is records of it being tested........so my question is...........did it fly Ok for ya...................!!!!!!!! DOH!!!!!!!!!:)Sorry man!!!! had to throw that in !!!!;)
jason

I don't want to hear any wise cracks from the peanut gallery about being "old" either!

No "wise" cracks? Okay....
[Butthead voice]You're like, old or something.[/Butthead voice]
Walk a mile in your enemy's shoes. Then you're a mile away and have his shoes.

Happy happy, and many more! Well told story.

I still get butterflies whenever I read first jump stories, it reminds me of how freaked out I was sitting in the door the first time...

Butterflies and shakes and chills and the sudden urgent need to find a toilet and dry mouth and heart racing fear and...