JohnRich

Grocery Store Etiquette

I saw something unusual in the grocery store the other day. I was buying ears of sweet corn on the cob at four for a dollar. One lady was shucking the ears of corn right there on top of the pile, leaving all the husks behind on top of all the other corn. I suppose she was inspecting it to make sure it was good, and then she put the already-shucked ears in her bag for purchase. A store clerk had to come along and clean up her mess, to allow other shoppers to find the rest of the corn underneath. Shucking the corn in the store never even occurred to be before - I always take it home and do it there. I can't remember the last time I ever got a bad ear that I could have discovered early by shucking in the store.

So, is this rude behavior to leave a mess like that behind in the store for other shoppers and for a store clerk to clean up after you? Or is this just smart shopping to make sure of what you're getting?

That's very odd. I've only ever seen people pull back the layers to check. Although I did note that my local store has a full trashbag beside the corn for people to shuck into. I have no idea why somebody would shuck there instead of taking it home and shucking when ready to cook.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Was it sold by the pound or by the ear? If it was sold by the pound, she just cheated the store out of some money.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

I always "peek" so that I can see the top of the ear to check for worms and dry dead kernels etc.... but if there is no bin available (usually there is) it is rude and potentially unhygienic to dump the leavings wherever they may land.

Did you follow her around? If so, she probably ate more than a few grapes and cherries out of the conveniently bagged selections, too. Heaven only knows what she did with the seeds [:/]

eta: I never shuck before the table because IMO the best corn is done on the grill with the husks and silk intact.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Some of the stores I shop in have signs saying "no shucking", I don't anyway because I usually cook it in the husk and we compost that stuff anyway.

She reminds me of my anonymous coworkers who share their empty candy wrappers and banana peels in the break rooms and offices. Mighty damn considerate of them.:|

In this case I would say yes, it's rude.

I usually see a large industrial garbage can in the isle next to the corn to shuck it into though.

I shuck it at home.

Same here. Maybe it's a Florida thing? I never saw the option provided before moving to Florida, and never saw people actually leave all the husks at the store before, either. So, I would say that if the garbage can was not provided, the customer should not leave the husks behind.

Also agree with grilling it in the husks -- although I'll clean out the silk and add a hint of butter and salt under the husks first.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

WOW. Never heard of or seen this before.
IMO, some people can be awfully rude and stupid.

Let's see here...

- Let's ditch those dirty leaves off the outside of the cabbage and lettuce.

- Oh! I don't have to take home those clingy vines on the vine-ripe tomatoes!

"Clean-up on the Vegie aisle!"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Same here. Maybe it's a Florida thing?

Funny, I thought everyone had a trash can by the corn! I don't shuck in the store, I don't want to waste time doing that and over the years I've found very few ears that weren't edible anyway. I don't really like having a trash can in the produce section though, I think it's kinda gross.

To the OP, yes, I think that lady was rude.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm surprised you felt you have to ask John, after all theres a reason you don't do it in the shop isn't there.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I buy my corn in tins. Problem solved. ;)

But other examples of bad store etiquette that get my goat (probably more than they should):
- People who pick something up and then later realise that they didn't want it after all, and just deposit it on some random shelf elsewhere in the store - especially if said item is supposed to be kept in the fridge or freezer. Go and put it back where it belongs - it's not that hard.
- People who accidentally knock stuff onto the floor (applies especially to browsing through clothing racks) and then just leave it there on the assumption that some lowly employee will come and pick it up on their behalf.

But other examples of bad store etiquette that get my goat

I think it's rude to take your goat into the grocery store:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

But other examples of bad store etiquette that get my goat

I think it's rude to take your goat into the grocery store:P

It's a guide goat. I get special dispensation.

That sounds like a bunch of papal bull to me! ;):ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I'm surprised you felt you have to ask John, after all theres a reason you don't do it in the shop isn't there.

I didn't "have" to ask, I simply thought that it would be an amusing topic for conversation.

Why don't you tell us what that "reason" is.

Was it sold by the pound or by the ear? If it was sold by the pound, she just cheated the store out of some money.

By the ear - 4 for a $1, so it wasn't about trimming weight to save money.

Hi JR

Bad form by the shucker. I've never seen this:o

Remember "almost back in the day" when corn was 10 ears/$1[:/]
One Jump Wonder

I've seen people shuck it in the store many times. I personally don't. But, whenever I've seen it done, there was a giant garbage can right there for people to put the waste into. The only reasoning I can figure is so that they don't have to clean up the mess at home. Which, kinda makes sense. Now, leaving the waste on top of all the other corn is flat out rude.