JohnRich

Grocery Store Etiquette

I'll be darned. I thought this was so bizarre. But what did I see at King Soopers just now? Woman standing in the fresh produce section, shucking away into a big garbage can provided for the purpose.

I think I'll peel my bananas in the store, next time I buy some.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'll be darned. I thought this was so bizarre. But what did I see at King Soopers just now? Woman standing in the fresh produce section, shucking away into a big garbage can provided for the purpose.

I think I'll peel my bananas in the store, next time I buy some.

It gets worse. I was at a local produce stand buying heirloom tomatoes, and lo and behold! There was a can with liner next to the corn pile. :S

I really never noticed a can, except vaguely in passing at the supermarket, and now, you can't get away from it! B|[:/]:D:D:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I just don't get it. I what to keep all the store cooties off of my corn. I'll do mine when I get home

Yeah, none of the stores around here allows that bullshit. I do my own, and the shucks become compost.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I took this at the store last night. :D

(ETA photo)

Looks messy... Took this photo at our "regular" supermarket. The bins are appropriate, people often put kohlrabi or cauliflower leaves in there. Sometimes carrot greens etc. I also like they provide paper towels for cleaning hands... and the scales if need be. Some folks actually clean the scales if something dripped there...

But lotta folks just leave a mess or squeeze and poke produce. Calls for the produce neighbourhood patrol! B|
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I only shuck when I jive.

Erm, I'm lost on the special meaning the verb "to jive" in this context. Anyone who can help me?

Pretty much like "Airplane!" for me B| But I don't think you mean this "jiving" :D:D:D

Randy : Can I get you something?
Second Jive Dude : 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!
Randy : I'm sorry, I don't understand.
First Jive Dude : Cutty say 'e can't HANG!
Jive Lady : Oh stewardess! I speak jive.
Randy : Oh, good.
Jive Lady : He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
Randy : All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?
Jive Lady : Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.
Second Jive Dude : What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!
Jive Lady : Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!
First Jive Dude : Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!
Jive Lady : Jive dude don't got no brains anyhow! Hmmph!

Shucking and jiving is a slang for joking behavior.

Jive (in the airplane example) is a word to describe slang speech used by African Americans (it was a much more popular term in the 70s, I haven't heard anybody talk about speaking jive for a long time).

Shuckin' and jivin' is also commonly applied to African Americans (or was in the past again) as the paradigm was that they used humor and deflection to misdirect and avoid trouble in situations where there was a power imbalance.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Back when I was in school in the late 80's to early '90's, there were a couple text translators floating around the Internet (which most people had yet to discover). One would translate to Jive, and the other would translate to Valley-speak. They were hilarious! I was feeding everything I could find into the Jive version; Gettysburg Address, etc.:D

Funniest story I saw was a dude who plugged the Jive translator into his companies email system as a prank, so for about an hour, every internal email arrived as Jive.:D:D:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Your stores look very.... orderly. :)

[John Cleese voice] YOU MUST FOLLOW HORS D'OEUVRES!!!" [/John Cleese voice]

And never mention the war! B|:D:D:D

Shucking and jiving is a slang for joking behavior.

Thanks, Southern Man. Found some more on this topic, e. g. clicky

Ah, so I missed the pun as he was just playing with words. To put it in Loddar Matthäus' Fränglish: Again what learned! (That one is hilariously funny but only if ya speak German...)

Looks messy... Took this photo at our "regular" supermarket. The bins are appropriate, people often put kohlrabi or cauliflower leaves in there. Sometimes carrot greens etc. I also like they provide paper towels for cleaning hands... and the scales if need be. Some folks actually clean the scales if something dripped there...

I took this paragraph and entered it in a Jive translator. It took me a couple seconds to find one via google search. Here's the result:

Looks messy. Slap mah fro!.. Took dis photo at our "regular" supuh'market. Man! De bins is appropriate, sucka's often put kohlrabi o' cauliflowa' leaves in dere. Sometimes carrot greens etc. Co' got d' beat! ah' also likes dey provide sheet towels fo' cleanin' hands... and da damn scales if need be. Some folks actually clean de scales if sump'n dripped dere...

From this site: http://rinkworks.com/dialect/ Its got other dialects to choose from - redneck, moron, elmer fudd, etc... :D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Back when I was in school in the late 80's to early '90's, there were a couple text translators floating around the Internet (which most people had yet to discover). One would translate to Jive, and the other would translate to Valley-speak. They were hilarious! I was feeding everything I could find into the Jive version; Gettysburg Address, etc.:D

Funniest story I saw was a dude who plugged the Jive translator into his companies email system as a prank, so for about an hour, every internal email arrived as Jive.:D:D:D

Shoot, and I thought the ability to set my Facebook page to "Pirate" was pretty good.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Your stores look very.... orderly. :)

[John Cleese voice] YOU MUST FOLLOW HORS D'OEUVRES!!!" [/John Cleese voice]

And never mention the war! B|:D:D:D

Well, you started it!:ph34r:

Apparently it's not just an east coast thing or a Wally World thing. Taken today at the Oakland, CA Whole Foods.

I didn't shuck mine, though. I want to grill it in the husk. Mmmm....
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If y'all don't shuck at the store, where the hell is the senora that sells me tamales outside the beer store going to get all those husks?

I don't think she could eat that much corn. Help us tamale lovers out and shuck in public people.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama