climber71

Out of the Plane Now!

Am in the AFF program pursuing the A License. Has anyone been in a plane where the pilot has said "Get Out of the Plane Now!" or when the parachute has been on the run? How did you react, what were your thoughts? Just wondering.

Three times so far, the worst was in a twin Beech at about 1000'...I was 1st to the door and the 3rd one out. :ph34r:

The other two were in cessnas and we had considerably more altitude.

How did I react? I jumped out.

My thoughts? Glad I jumped out.

What does parachute on the run mean??

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Three times so far, the worst was in a twin Beech at about 1000'...I was 1st to the door and the 3rd one out. :ph34r:

Hold on a sec! I just need to get my poised exit setup! :P

No I looked down and though DAMN we're low...in the .25 of a second it took me to do that, two munchkin sized jumpers squirted out in front of me...I had a belly mounted pop-top, didn't miss the tail by much with the pilot-chute! In the saddle a touch over 800':ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Am in the AFF program pursuing the A License. Has anyone been in a plane where the pilot has said "Get Out of the Plane Now!" or when the parachute has been on the run? How did you react, what were your thoughts? Just wondering.

KingAir - Pilot was heard to say "Oh, shit!" as he ran out of elevator travel. Then it stalled, and started doing Vmc rolls. I was third one out, hugging the back of a tandem.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Airwardo, just saying if a parachute got free in the plane, caught air, heading towards the door.

The 182 from which I made my first jumps, had a large zinc chromate colored replacement panel adjacent to the door.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

KingAir - Pilot was heard to say "Oh, shit!" as he ran out of elevator travel. Then it stalled, and started doing Vmc rolls. I was third one out, hugging the back of a tandem.

Holy F&^%$ SH*&^%! Glad you got out of that one. :o

I've got about 5-6 engine out exits but no losing control ones. Those suck.

In 28 years I have had 3 emergency exits and 5 emergency landings - all uneventful. 2 of the emergency exits were tandems from 4000 FT. Emergency landings - UH-60 Blackhawk (chip light), Cessna 206 (engine lost power), U-21 (engine out), C-31 (master caution light), Twin Otter (engine shut down due to prop problems).

If you stay in the sport long enough, you will likely experience an aircraft emergency. My advice:

-Remember that take-off is the most dangerous part of any airplane flight
-Board the aircraft with your equipment (and your Tandem Student's) ready to exit at a moment's notice
-Wear a seatbelt
-Pay attention on takeoff, especially through 1000 FT AGL
-Don't sleep
-Know how you will handle an emergency if the need arises . . . that is the subject for another thread . . .
Arrive Safely

John

Wow, seeing the mention of teh Blackhawk brought back a memory. We were in a CH-46 at Camp Lejeune. Got up to about 2500 feet, and the Plane Captain came back and told each of us to sit back and strap in tight. Just as he finished telling us that, we could see hydraulic fluid on the floor, and then it started RUNNING toward the ramp. We'd have all got out if we had our druthers, but the crew insisted we stay with the 46. Fortunately we landed OK back at TLZ Penguin.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Had a parachute over the tail on an aircraft I was on. The pilot didn't say anything; he was too busy trying to fly the plane. Me and another AFF-I got everyone out then checked the tail again; the parachute had mostly freed itself and there were just some tatters hanging off.

We told him what happened and he said "thanks, it feels OK now." We asked him if he wanted us to get out - he said "sure, let me turn around and give you another jump run." Did the unexpected 2-way and landed uneventfully. Apparently the plane had minor damage only.

I was not on the Beech problem we had at Brown. Reserve went over the tail and bent the tail back. This locked the elevator in the "down" position and so the plane started a screaming descent. The pilots pulled so hard on the yoke that they broke the link between the elevators, giving them some control back. (One elevator was then up, one down.) Everyone bailed out and they managed to land the plane safely. They later said that if they had seen the damage with their own eyes they would have set the autopilot and bailed out themselves.

Sugar Alfa at the Freek Bros. Convention. I was sitting up by the Pilot when he started swearing shortly after takeoff. The jumper by the door, instead of getting the hell out, started working as jump master timming everyones exit and checking gear before we exited. Everyone stayed very calm and all went very well. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Has anyone been in a plane where the pilot has said "Get Out of the Plane Now!"

Caravan engine out at about 4500. The pilot gave permission for anyone who wanted to to leave, but was okay with anyone wanting to glide back with him.

Everyone got out :D
Owned by Remi #?

Holy F&^%$ SH*&^%! Glad you got out of that one. :o

I've got about 5-6 engine out exits but no losing control ones. Those suck.

Oh, wait a minute; I was fourth out, if you count the tandem's vidiot who was rear floating. He was almost hurled into the left prop as it stalled, then almost hit by the right wing as it rolled.:D

I think if you jump for any time at all, you will have to get out prior to when the plan says. I have only a few, and fortunately none were true emergencies.

Airwardo, just saying if a parachute got free in the plane, caught air, heading towards the door.

We were headed to altitude in a Cessna with a door that lifted up and latched to the underside of the wing for exit. There were four jumpers, a solo who was to get out at 9 grand and the rest of us who were going to go as high as the pilot would take us without me flashing him :P.

The solo gets up and unlatches the door in preparation to jump and zaps his reserve.:o

All three of us jumped on him and his pilot chute! We all start yelling about the loose P.C. The pilot somehow reached over us and managed to close the door. He takes us into a dive to get down as quickly as possible. We all start to relax a little, but we are not about to let go of the guy and his loose P.C. and reserve.

We get to about 7 grand, and while we are still on the guy,

KABOOOM!!!!!

We have no idea what the heck is happening. Wind everywhere. I thought this is it, but wait, the guy and his loose stuff is still under us. We are now yelling louder. At this point the yells may have migrated into the scream realm. :$

The plexiglass window somehow blew out from the precipitous dive. Now we're back where we were when he zapped himself. :(

The noise level has not gone down any. We were still yelling things at the pilot and he was yelling back at us. Communication at it's finest.

It was a long way down, even in the dive this pilot had put us in.

We landed, and as he was taxiing the pilot said we could get off the poor guy. We all yelled at him, "No effing way, until you turn the effing engines OFF. He turned off the engines, and my heart started to beat again.

As we peeled ourselves of the poor guy on the bottom, we all had a hard time. Various aches and uncooperative body parts. My right arm was dead. The poor guy with the loose reserve had an imprint of the rail the seats are bolted to and the bolts ON HIS FACE.

When he showed up at the dz the next weekend, his face was still black and blue with a ghost print of the rail and bolts as a rash keepsake.

This, and many other fun/interesting stories can be found in the H&T forum under "Scary Stories from the Old Days."
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Then it stalled, and started doing Vmc rolls. .

What's a Vmc roll?

When engine on one side is producing power, and engine on other side is not, and airspeed falls below the Minimum Controllable in that configuration, the engine producing power pulls it's wing over the top into a roll. Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk7KJj2xSs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmomTUVsAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvplU_5ysjk

When I first started jumping, I was on a Cessna load and at about 3 grand there's a bang and the engine seems be maxed out. I was in the very back and the guy in front of me was yelling at the pilot. I got his attention and told him if the plane was going in I wanted out. He talked to the pilot again and then turned to me and said "The pilot says everything is fine and we"ll get full altitude. The muffler just fell off!"

8 jumpers on a Huey helicopter at 9,000 over Ft. Hood, Texas. Pilot screams "get out". We did - quickly. As planned, everyone took just enough of a delay to be sure we weren't dumping in each others' faces and landed - in the middle of nowhere.

Got a ride back to the DZ in the back of a troop truck!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

8 jumpers on a Huey helicopter at 9,000 over Ft. Hood, Texas. Pilot screams "get out". We did - quickly. As planned, everyone took just enough of a delay to be sure we weren't dumping in each others' faces and landed - in the middle of nowhere.

Got a ride back to the DZ in the back of a troop truck!

What happened to the Huey?
Lovin every second of it!

Then it stalled, and started doing Vmc rolls. .

What's a Vmc roll?

When engine on one side is producing power, and engine on other side is not, and airspeed falls below the Minimum Controllable in that configuration, the engine producing power pulls it's wing over the top into a roll.

Ah, thank you! I thought it meant visual meteorlogical conditions, but that didn't make sense in this context.

Well, since you asked, I have to assume worst case and think that you are asking because you do not know what to do. Either that or you are second-guessing your instructors which is OK in the big scheme of things since its usually a good idea to get a second opinion on most stuff.

I am sorry Climber but at 21 jumps listed you should already KNOW this stuff and have it down pat as to what you are going to do. Make, do not ask, just MAKE you instructors teach and drill emergency bailouts into you.

To answer you question about experience with bailouts:
3 1 Beech 99, two Otter.

Beech I was a floater on a stall and no problem stepping off. Everyone made it safely.

The two Otter loads were engine-out which in an Otter with a good pilot is not all that much of a big deal. Both events I was stuck acting jumpmaster getting people out. I bailed last from 1700 with another guy on one and from 3K on the other.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239