MorfiusX

How long before I need to repack my main?

I haven't jumped in a couple months, but have a tunnel trip planned in a few weeks. My rig has been packed and stored in my gear bag the entire time. Should I repack the main before jumping it? How much time can go by before I need to repack it before a jump?

At your experience level, I would repack it.

Give you a chance to refamiliarize yourself with your gear, inspect things, and make sure everything is where you left it.

Yes, repacking is a PITA, but so is stomping through the fields looking for a freebag....

Jump more, post less!

I haven't jumped in a couple months, but have a tunnel trip planned in a few weeks. My rig has been packed and stored in my gear bag the entire time. Should I repack the main before jumping it? How much time can go by before I need to repack it before a jump?

You do NOT need to repack it. A reserve is good for six months, and so is a main.

main usually ZP and reserve F-111.
after couple months is still can open (but expect slower opning) but in 6 months you may have hard time unwrapping it on the ground. I did see one velocity that looked more like a brick after sitting in container for a year.
repack it.

Why repack it? They won't let you use it in the tunnel anyways! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpapAtcjR1I ;)

Line Twists

Even a dummy can kick out of em!

I couldn't find the vid I was really looking for, somewhere there is one of a guy deploying what looks like a Para-commander in an outdoor 'tunnel'...THAT one was scary! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Line Twists

I couldn't find the vid I was really looking for, somewhere there is one of a guy deploying what looks like a Para-commander in an outdoor 'tunnel'...THAT one was scary! :D

Please find that one and post it.

ha, i knew them pesky skydivers popped up, they always say they dont, but that's a straight-out LIE!!! :P

i wonder if them guys would still be laughing if the canopy got sucked underneath into the ventilator. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

You have 40 jumps and haven't jumped for 2 months.

Your main is fine. But your gear familiarity isn't. Open it up, review your gear (refamiliarize), repack just because. Plus, after 2 months without a jump, at least playing with the rig gives some consolation.

I repack after 3 or so months just to look at the rig, air out the (now) brick of a main, clean it all up, general gear check. But that's just a personal choice not really based on anything other than my comfort level - plus I actually like taking care of the rig.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Don't repack it, bring it, and if you let me put some jumps on it while we are down there I will pack it all weekend for you ;)

Saves you packing time/money and it saves me from having to bring a skyrig and a base rig on the same trip. B|

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

After six months - in the California desert - rubber bands start to rot out and openings get "exciting!"

Rubber bands last longer in cooler, cleaner, moister climates like Alberta :P

But if you are "wondering ..." it is a good time to repack your main.

Fixed it for ya !
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

You trust your reserve to go 6 mths.... I would trust a main for that as well.

But like others have said, it does not HURT to pack it. I personally, would not. But then again, I am not jumping it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Pull High..... Think Happy Thoughts!! ;)

Blue Ones,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

You trust your reserve to go 6 mths.... I would trust a main for that as well.

ZP canopies have been reported to have a tendency for the fabric to stick together after some time. Perhaps there are conditions that promote this, such as high temp, high pressure/compression, and others environmental conditions or maybe it is just time?

Anyway, there is good reason to not make the comparison to reserves.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Line Twists

Please find that one and post it.

please do :) This dummy was able to "solve" a twist IMHO because "he" was extremely lightweight. :D

After six months - in the California desert - rubber bands start to rot out and openings get "exciting!"

Rubber bands last longer in cooler, cleaner, moister climates like Ohio.

But if you are "wondering ..." it is a good time to repack your main.

Additionally, rubber bands tend to sort of react with brass grommets. They become very sticky then and leave sort of black smear on the grommets. I found out when I returned after a six-week break and my DZO who's also the rigger told me to repack before I jump. It might have opened without need for a chop but chances for line dumps or other nasty things are higher if you do not replace the rubber bands under these circumstances.

That is why my rigger does NOT pack my main after inspection in January.

I dunno if this is an issue with steel grommets.

But anyway, practising packing is always a good idea.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

the other response is -

go jump and try to stay more current in the future

He got his license at the end of this season. The temperature on the ground here has been in the 20's since November. I think a newly licensed jumper heading to FL to jump and get some tunnel time is certainly an attempt to stay current. ;)
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero