Centrigrade Versus Fahrenheit - Which Is Better?

If i said it here, i might get banned :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You are aware you've technically already crossed that line and I'm cutting you slack; right? ;)

That would be an arbitrary decision on your part would it not.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. Yes, today I have arbitrarily decided not to ban you for name calling, but be aware that any further use of terms such as "articulate idiots" will earn you a couple of days off from the forums.

like i said care factor zero :|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

so, it's

"degrees Fahrenheit"
"degress Celcius" (I rarely hear centigrade)
"Kelvin" ('400 Kelvin', NOT "400 degrees Kelvin")

how is Rankine called out?

Degrees. Although a more empirical answer would be, "it's not."

By the way it's "the Kelvin scale" but the unit is the "kelvin".

I prefer metric because things sound bigger that way.

6 inches = 15.24 centimeters

I no longer need girls with small hands.

But centimeters sound so small....
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I prefer metric because things sound bigger that way.

6 inches = 15.24 centimeters

I no longer need girls with small hands.

But centimeters sound so small....

How about some of the people in the medical field that like to say, "sonometers".... irritates the shit out of me.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

How about some of the people in the medical field that like to say, "sonometers".... irritates the shit out of me.

A coworker of mine says, "jigga-hertz" which reflexively makes my left eyelid twitch a little bit.

Worse, though, is that in my industry we seem to really love our acronyms, and some people attempt to pronounce all acronyms initialisms no matter how many vowels they have to pretend are present but aren't.

/edited: don't want to poke a pet peeve while complaining about mine.

Not actually.

Actually, we are both right.

History and Definition of Gram and Kilogram

A gram was initially defined as a cubic centimeter of water at its temperature of maximum density (4°C). Likewise, a kilogram was defined as a cubic decimeter of water (a cube 0.1 meters on each side), which is a thousand cubic centimeters or a thousand grams. This mass (weight) has been reproduced in a metal weight (platinum-iridium), which is now used as the standard. In other words, a kilogram is no longer officially defined in terms of the mass of a volume of water, but rather in terms of the mass of the corresponding official metal weight. Accordingly, a gram is now defined as one-thousandth of this metal weight, rather than in terms of a cubic centimeter of water.

This formula makes the whole thing much less arbitrary than you make it out to be. Though the initial measure may have been incorrect due to unforseen variables (such is life). Once that mesure was decided, 'then' water was introduced to formulate mass (often referred to as weight.

http://www.france-property-and-information.com/metric-system-and-history.htm

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

If i said it here, i might get banned :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You are aware you've technically already crossed that line and I'm cutting you slack; right?

What absolutely fascinates me is why some people actually care about the F vs C thing to begin with, since, you know, both systems are equally arbitrary. ;)

I suppose it's because they'd rather believe the system they're using is "correct" when in reality, it just doesn't matter.

Ok, well, I say that glibly, I guess if you want to build a structure that would last over 5,000 years, you probably wouldn't use metric. ;)

People care because Fahrenheit is utterly retarded and makes no sense.

If its below 0 degrees Celsius then it won't rain but it will snow. (This will hold true for the majority of this planets population so I don't really care if you're hermit living in a cabin at some mountain somewhere.)

It its below 0 degrees Fahrenheit then its cold. How cold? Colder then maybe in the summer cold.

Celsius is based on something fairly concrete.

Fahrenheit is based on some hobo dudes rectal temperature and on the outside temperature of his hut on some day 100+ years ago.

There is a superior system and then there is an inferior system. No need to stick with lesser system just because you (or your countryman) didn't invent the superior one.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

People care because Fahrenheit is utterly retarded and makes no sense...

...It its below 0 degrees Fahrenheit then its cold. How cold? Colder then maybe in the summer cold.

Celsius is based on something fairly concrete.

Fahrenheit is based on some hobo dudes rectal temperature and on the outside temperature of his hut on some day 100+ years ago.

There is a superior system and then there is an inferior system. No need to stick with lesser system just because you (or your countryman) didn't invent the superior one.

Just so you know, Fahrenheit is based on something fairly concrete.

Yes, 100 degrees was supposed to be human body temp, and got screwed up.

But zero is based on the lowest possible temp that salt water can remain liquid.

You know what salt water is right?
The majority of the water on the earth is salt water.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

F is also more finite, 1 degree C= 1.8 F. To large a variation. That's why my cars climate control in C mode makes half degree increments.

like you could tell the difference between 19 and 20 C while driving :S
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

F is also more finite, 1 degree C= 1.8 F. To large a variation. That's why my cars climate control in C mode makes half degree increments.

like you could tell the difference between 19 and 20 C while driving :S

Maybe he drives naked?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Du bis Spinst!:P

Fuck it if i misspelled, I learned German in the bedroom.;):$:)

I hope you enjoyed what you really did in the bedroom. The learning thing wasn't that successful B|

JFYI: It's more or less incomprehensible. If you want to tell "You are" you have to write "Du bist" - The t at the end of "bist" isn't that much important, however. (Especially with quite a number of German dialects that sort of grind down trailing t's to d's or even omitting them...))

What leaves me puzzled is the "Spinst". Did you mean "spinnen"? The correct form would be then "Spinnst Du?" = Are you bonkers? Or did you want to express "Du bist ein Spinner" = You're a fruitcake/ douche bag...
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

But zero is based on the lowest possible temp that salt water can remain liquid.

You know what salt water is right?
The majority of the water on the earth is salt water.

I personally like the Celsius scale better. Maybe because I grew up with it, but I think it refers pretty well to day-to-day weather phenomena being rain, snow etc. And there we talk freshwater. Just because something comes in big numbers doesn't necessarily mean it matters most in any cases B|

The vaporizing thing has been discussed to the boiling point :)But again: Temperature matters a lot in day-to-day use when it comes to how we feel something; mainly water (see above) and air. The Fahrenheit scale is more "precise" since the difference between two neighbouring Fahrenheit grades is less that the difference between two neighbouring Celsius grades. But 1st: How about decimals? And 2nd: Nobody can really tell me they can actually feel the difference between 78°F and 79°C, not to talk about 23°C vs 24°C ("absolutely" seen as you should feel a temperature "drop" like this when you really pay attention...)

The "fever" argument seems to show it's just a question of what you grew up with. People here care about 36 or 37°C (as the "normal" or "standard" body temperature tends to vary from person to person and during the day etc) whilst people in America care about 98°F. And a caring mother knows that 40°C is a reason to go to the hospital really fast or call 911 (112 here, btw) just as her counterpart in the States does the same at 104°F (plusminus, I know...)

So again: Seems to be a question of what you are used to. And to me, the Celsius scale seems a little better fitted to weather phenomena etc.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

>The Fahrenheit scale is more "precise" since the difference between two neighbouring
>Fahrenheit grades is less that the difference between two neighbouring Celsius grades.

That's what I like about it. For some of what I do (brewing, for example) the extra accuracy comes in handy; 70F really is different than 71F during fermentation, and 150F really is different from 151F during the mash. That problem is solved by adding a decimal point, but then a) you sort of have too much accuracy (20.5C really isn't different than 21C) and b) all your displays have to add a decimal point and another digit.

I notice this because I do use both. I got some super cheap heating/cooling controllers designed for the EU, so they are 220 volt and display in C. Everything else in my notes is in F.