promise5

Name a food that you hated but love today.

Spinach. Popeye the sailor ate spinach to make him strong. But my mom always told me that spinach tasted too strong for kids, so I didn't get to taste raw spinach until I was 30 years old. Yes, spinach has a strong flavour, but as strong as kale. These days I eat spinach once or twice a week and enjoy it.

Rice.

When I was a little kid my dad (who is a decent enough cook by the way) made me some rice-porridge, but apparantly he made some mistake. I didn't eat *any* dish containing any form of rice for well over a decade. :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

promise5

Pickled beets.

Toes.:D

I'm going with Brusselsprouts.

My parents always made the frozen kind, with white vinegar. (Gag)

I was reintroduced to them, about a year ago, but they were fresh and baked and yummy.

Then, experimenting, I put them into a stew I was making and, POW, I was hooked.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

People have already mentioned most of them but:

* Mushrooms. I could not abide by them as a child, now I like them just about any way. The melting pot slices them super-thin and tosses them in a bit of dressing, which is probably my favorite.

* Spinach. There's actually an Indian restaurant near here that deep fries the stuff :o

* Brussel Sprouts. The cheese importer in Longmont roasts them with good parmesan cheese and a bit of lemon juice. Pretty much proving that anything you hated as a child was probably because your parents were terrible cooks.

* Fish. God I hated fish growing up. There's a fantastic sushi restaurant near my house that I feel compelled to go to at least once a week now. I can eat the stuff cooked to, I just prefer it raw when it's good that way. My parents did things to fish that should be banned by the Geneva Convention. When the cheese importers does a fish fry with an entire catfish, that's like a fishgasm.

I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Sushi! In my 20's I did two tours in Japan, and on my last tour my girlfriend took me to an amazing sushi restaurant in downtown Osaka. What a spectacle this place was, but I feel like I went into it with a closed mind. All it did was make me gag and want to vomit. On the positive side, we had sex in a photo booth that night, with mobs of people walking just outside the curtain. At the time I felt it was well worth the disgusting raw fish I had just eaten.

Now it's my favorite thing ever, which is at least one positive thing I picked up from my ex-wife.

SkyCoi

Sushi! In my 20's I did two tours in Japan, and on my last tour my girlfriend took me to an amazing sushi restaurant in downtown Osaka. What a spectacle this place was, but I feel like I went into it with a closed mind. All it did was make me gag and want to vomit. On the positive side, we had sex in a photo booth that night, with mobs of people walking just outside the curtain. At the time I felt it was well worth the disgusting raw fish I had just eaten.

Now it's my favorite thing ever, which is at least one positive thing I picked up from my ex-wife.

Sushi or the photo booth?:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

I'm going with Brusselsprouts.

There is a genetic reason some people like them, but others hate them: http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/12/04/brusselssprouts/

I fall into the camp that tastes the bitter flavor. Ugh!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Asparagus. My mother boiled it forever in some kind of cream sauce until the stalks separated into stings. It was a slimy mess more like soup with slimy strings. It actually stunk up the kitchen, and tasted awful. I hated it so badly I kept mowing it down "by accident" when I mowed the lawn until the whole asparagus patch died.

Now: just boil it lightly or grill it and it's very good.

(Someone mentioned boiled peanuts? Never heard of that one. Sounds weird)

dpreguy

Asparagus. My mother boiled it forever in some kind of cream sauce until the stalks separated into stings. It was a slimy mess more like soup with slimy strings. It actually stunk up the kitchen, and tasted awful. I hated it so badly I kept mowing it down "by accident" when I mowed the lawn until the whole asparagus patch died.

Now: just boil it lightly or grill it and it's very good.

(Someone mentioned boiled peanuts? Never heard of that one. Sounds weird)

1 bundle of asparagus
1 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon Cumin powder and seeds
1/4 tspn Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary (1/4 fresh)
1/2 tsp dried thyme(1/4 fresh)
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
dash or marjoram (optional)

Bring all ingredients to soft boil on stove - be very careful.

Flash Fry asparagus for 20 seconds, turn and continue for 15 seconds -

Remove asparagus, place in serving dish.
strain oil, top asparagus to taste with left over spice paste.

enjoy.

OR

Add 1/3 gaian as much from above
Mix spices with about 1 cup of flour
Mix with 1 egg, 1/2 cup of white wine, and water to preferred consistency.

Fry in HIGH heat oil until golden

Drain and enjoy.

lawrocket

I'll go with Brussels sprouts as well. Just love them.

Brussels Sprouts here too.

But I still don't like the "store bought" ones. Too bitter.

I grow my own in my garden. They don't get very big, not much bigger than a marble. Store ones go about golf ball sized.

But the ones out of my garden aren't bitter at all.

Just "green" tasting & crunchy. Delicious either raw or steamed.

Oddly enough, the broccoli I buy in the store is less bitter than what I grow myself. Go figure.
But mine isn't bitter enough that I don't like it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***I'll go with Brussels sprouts as well. Just love them.

Brussels Sprouts here too.

But I still don't like the "store bought" ones. Too bitter.

I grow my own in my garden. They don't get very big, not much bigger than a marble. Store ones go about golf ball sized.

But the ones out of my garden aren't bitter at all.

Just "green" tasting & crunchy. Delicious either raw or steamed.

Oddly enough, the broccoli I buy in the store is less bitter than what I grow myself. Go figure.
But mine isn't bitter enough that I don't like it.

Check the PH and the Nitro in the soil, it sounds like you are running a bit acidic.
Also, use a healthy dose of calcium vitamins for them.

Brussels sprouts with store bought DOES require time and patience in prep. The bitterness you taste comes from the dark green leaves. I've found that if I strip the dark green leaves from the sprouts then the sprouts are sweet and nutty. It can be a pain and time consuming, but the patience is most definitely rewarded.

My former father-in-law described my Brussels sprouts as being like happy hour food. He didn't mean it as an insult.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Always loved just about all food; I was not fond of beets as a kid, and slowly learned to like them reasonably well. But they can't come in cans or bags, unless it's pickled and I'm using the juice to pickle and color eggs.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)