hawkflight

Should I invest in any gear for my AFF training?>

Hi ,
I 'm new to skydiving ...just did my first tandem jump last weekend....loved it...and have signed up for AFF training to become licensed..MY QUESTION....Should I invest in any equipment now...i.e. jumpsuit altimeter etc....or should I wait ...I'm quite sure I will be continuing to skydive forever ............

"Any fool can learn for his own mistakes, a wise man learns from anothers." Mark Twain

Beyond what everyone else has mentioned, I'd highly recommend invested $40 or so in the books "Parachuting The Skydivers Handbook" (Poynter/Turoff; Para Publishing) and "Jump! Skydiving made fun and easy" (Buchanan; McGraw-Hill).

Best money you can spend at this point in your skydiving career.

I wouldn't buy a protec helmet since you'll just be wanting another anyhow. If you want to get your own helmet, get something you'll want to keep using. I'd wait 'til off AFF and then demo some helmets. Also, unless you're rich, you might wanna wait a little bit on an alti, too, since they usually provide them for you. Leaves you $$ for things that you'd rather not borrow (such as goggles worn by others, or stinky helmets, etc).

Have fun!
Angela.

I wouldn't buy a protec helmet since you'll just be wanting another anyhow.

Ironically, the ProTec is the only helmet used in skydiving that offers any real protection.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I totally agree, ProTec helmets are great!

Cheap, lightweight, durable, a new liner is only $13, and good impact protection.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Ironically, the ProTec is the only helmet used in skydiving that offers any real protection.

Exactly. Spend the $25; your life may depend on it.B|

Man it was chilly at altitude here at z-hills yesterday (nov-6) There was a storm front a ways away, but my hands were freezing.

But As for gear I went and bought a pair of Flex-z's, and find them much more comfortable than the ones I was borrowing. But make sure that they are clear/ish because the instructors need to see your eyes in FF.

Like they said... goggles, logbook. You're probably not sure what type of flying you'll be doing so wait a little while before purchasing a jumpsuit/helmet/rig. When you're ready... one of the most important things IMHO is an audible altimeter... not to rely on, of course... but it's nice to have! A must for me.

Chaps
Carpe diem

Depends, since some people really like them. My Protec worked great for casual RW and freeflying. I hated getting rid of mine and only changed when I needed a full face because of eye surgery.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I actually agree here, but for a different reason. I would say don't worry about buying a helmet yet, since you can use your school's helmets free of charge.
After you get off student status, THEN you can decide what kind of helmet you want, be it a protec or something else. Until then, I would say goggles, gloves, and a hand-mounted altimeter; in that order.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I actually agree here, but for a different reason. I would say don't worry about buying a helmet yet, since you can use your school's helmets free of charge.
After you get off student status, THEN you can decide what kind of helmet you want, be it a protec or something else. Until then, I would say goggles, gloves, and a hand-mounted altimeter; in that order.

Ok, so I can't decide for someone that they'd like something other than a protec. I am, however, basing my assumption upon the fact that I do not see many skydivers who own their own Protec helmets. Be it safer or not, it doesn't seem most people get them. I, for one, would not be buying a protec. Just too loud and not as comfy as other helmets. jmo of course.

Angela.

aboslutely no point in getting an audible yet. In fact, you wouldn't probably be allowed to jump with one anyway. You really need to get good altitude awareness without an audible.

Chill, you haven't even started AFF yet. Speak to the instructors at your DZ, see what the course covers. You may get a log book thrown in. They should lend you everything else, goggles, helemet, suit, rig etc. agter you've done all your AFF jumps and your on consols, then think about buying gear.

You may do your first jump and decide skydiving isn't for you. You dont need to buy any gear at this stage, but the books Lisa suggested are a good idea.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Ok, so I can't decide for someone that they'd like something other than a protec. I am, however, basing my assumption upon the fact that I do not see many skydivers who own their own Protec helmets. Be it safer or not, it doesn't seem most people get them. I, for one, would not be buying a protec. Just too loud and not as comfy as other helmets. jmo of cours

We all seem to make some of our decisions about safety in terms of style, and we're all smart enough to know that this is a bad thing, but we do it anyways. I'm as guilty as the next guy, I don't wear a pro-tec, for example.

That said, I've seen some very cool looking pro-tecs out there, and if I were starting off right now I hope I'd be wise enough to at least give a look at them. I know one local jumper who's got a carbon fibre pro-tec. It does look cool.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I bought a pro-tec when I was still on the SL. Saved me money on renting and I like to have my own stuff. Later on I bought a freefly helmet which is my main helmet now (okay it is just cooler), but I now have 2 pro-tecs: my old one which is perfect for CRW (I want to wear a hard helmet and this one has got ear holes so I can hear the calls). My other one is my very own very cool (well it's mine ain't it) camera helmet! So there. Nothing against pro-tecs. Cheap, durable, lightweight, holds 1 or 2 audibles, good protection and versatile.
Also the disciple of swooping is really catching on here, and a hard helmet is required at competitions. Most swoopers here wear skate helmets or pro-tecs if they have to wear a helmet.

ciel bleu,
Saskia