base200

Wingsuit Instructor Rating and USPA

Jarno, I wish you were coming to Z-Flock too, to help represent the United States of Europe :P

That'll have to wait till november...
But when I finaly do take of my shoes and walk past customs out of the airport after a prostate exam by a security guard...man am I gonna have sum fun there! First some freedom fries and then off to the DZ..representing EU. by stinking up the airplane with my cologne!
If Im base..just follow the smell of sweat and rotten fruit and you'll get there...(legs on your ass ofcourse..US styleeB|).

Freedom fries are on me afterward..;)

(I am even going to take a quick shower before the 11 hour flight ;))

Come on...we all know us Europeans dont shower..
Dont tell us these 'shower' lies...:P

Thats what I love most about Americans...they try hard to make Europeans look rediculous...which we just cant do to them..as they already do such a fine job themselves at looking like asses hehe:S

kay...Im done now (someone whipe my ass while I glance back to see my turd on the in-between landing that all toilets have here?):D
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

"Europe? Isn't that somewhere in the middle east?"

A true question i was asked by someone who uses this site... :S

James, while not showering, make sure you don't brush your teeth either. All us brits have bad teeth right? ;)

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

James, while not showering, make sure you don't brush your teeth either. All us brits have bad teeth right

*** I used to think that all Brits had bad teeth until I realized that it's thier pasty white skin that makes thier teeth appear yellow.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

I used to think all Americans were fat, ignora... oh wait... hang on...

;)

C'mon Zee...that the best you got? At least hit us with your man-purse.

thats the first time I've ever heard someone ask to be tea-bagged :D

I remember back in the day when the thread would have been locked and half of us banned for 2 weeks.

I guess the mods figured out we were just havin' a little fun

Isn't that right Chuck:ph34r:

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I remember back in the day when the thread would have been locked and half of us banned for 2 weeks.

I guess the mods figured out we were just havin' a little fun

Fun? Its deep hatred from the depths of my black soul!
Im chewing away at my wrists here and watching my screen in frantic maner...hitting reload every 5 seconds while chanting devil-worshipping songs...

fun...fun..this stuff keeps me awake 24/7 and when I do fall asleep its because I got tired from crying>:(

Ok...all lies...Im just like every scatt-loving enthousiast...full of shit, and lovin itB|;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Im chewing away at my wrists here and watching my screen in frantic maner...hitting reload every 5 seconds while chanting devil-worshipping songs...

You mean you're watching the UPS tracking page while waiting for some cool new skydiving gear to appear?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

You mean you're watching the UPS tracking page while waiting for some cool new skydiving gear to appear?

That's me at the moment, doing exactly that.
Maybe the WSI rating needs to have a segment teaching how to track a package, how to stay calm while waiting, etc.;) It's probably worse for you guys on the dark side of the planet.:P

In our school we generally have in the neighborhood of 40 (that's FOURTY) suits hanging on the rack. All brands, all sizes. Yes, we charge a bit for instruction here and no, we don't get any grief because of it.

If you don't want to pay for quality instruction in quality equipment, then feel free to choose another dropzone where people don't care if you rip the asses out of their suits........Isn't that right, Jason?

Chuck
BMCI-4

So, are you saying $=quality? And if someone doesn't pay, they're not going to get quality?

I've been taught by very experienced wingsuit instructors and people who had many skydiving ratings--for free. They taught me and everyone at the dropzone for free. Usually people who want to jump a wingsuit are already experienced skydivers. They don't need to pay someone to go do a fun jump with them 'cause isn't a wingsuit jump just another fun jump. Do you call the Prodigy or other beginner suits wingsuits? People jump camera suits bigger than this midget suit. The only training people need is on the big TonySuits, ProFly, Stealth or other huge wings. Maybe you're scared to fly them? :P You can't expect someone to pay your slot so they can jump something like a Prodigy. If you wanna keep arguing about this, I'm up to it. I don't have anything to do today. I had a rough night last night.

In our school we generally have in the neighborhood of 40 (that's FOURTY) suits hanging on the rack. All brands, all sizes. Yes, we charge a bit for instruction here and no, we don't get any grief because of it.

If you don't want to pay for quality instruction in quality equipment, then feel free to choose another dropzone where people don't care if you rip the asses out of their suits........Isn't that right, Jason?

Chuck
BMCI-4

So, are you saying $=quality? And if someone doesn't pay, they're not going to get quality?

Perhaps you need to remember what kind of DZ zhills is. On any one day, I would say that a good 75-80% of the jumpers there are on vacation. IE.... not locals.

I think its one thing to willingly teach your local jumpers and friends for free. I think its a wonderful gesture, to build your local WS scene. I'd imagine, however, that you would go very poor very quickly if time and slots were given freely to everyone who passes through the Birdhouse at Zhills. I have also seen more than one suit come back damaged without so much as a "I'm sorry". Kinda hard to hold someone accountable when they are liable to disappear the next day and never come back to your DZ. :( Who do you think gets stuck paying for the maintenance of 40+ suits. (And don't say tony fixes them...well not all of them anyway...just his)

I think you also took his wording a bit out of context (probably in a self righteous manner to boot) Of course $ does not = Quality, but is there anyone on this forum that argues Zhills is not a wonderful QUALITY place to get coaching? Anyone here who argues Chuck and Jeff are not among the what?...top 10-20 wing suit coaches/instructors? If you don't think either of these statements are true, no one is making you go there.

I get the feeling from this whole thread (off topic or not)...that you probably don't want to pay money to get a WS rating (whether its respected or not). I think you have your answer on the legality of it. Don't want to pay $300 (or whatever the amount is)?...Don't. There are many here who will support you, and many who will damn you.

For good or ill, I believe the "instructor" rating was started with good intentions...and I don't think anyone can fault the manufacturers for promoting safety of their products, nor can you fault people who sought to improve themselves (lets leave the "bar rating out of this statement"...the dead horse has been beaten).

Do you need it to instruct?...No
Is it a good idea?...I think so
Is there anything wrong with trying to make a student safer?...you can answer this one
Is paying an extra $20 bucks a big deal if it makes the student feel safer?...Only the student can answer that

On a final note - do I care one way or another about a rating that is sanctified by the USPA? No, not really. I just hope that all who choose to instruct (rating or not) are at least mature enough to seriously evaluate themselves and their skills and their knowledge before ever teaching a student.

I've been taught by very experienced wingsuit instructors and people who had many skydiving ratings--for free. They taught me and everyone at the dropzone for free.

Kudos to them! Good vibes for sure:)

Usually people who want to jump a wingsuit are already experienced skydivers. They don't need to pay someone to go do a fun jump with them 'cause isn't a wingsuit jump just another fun jump.

Maybe you need to play "instructor" on a few First Flights...

Do you call the Prodigy or other beginner suits wingsuits?

I call it a difficult beginner suit. A phantom or Intro is a much better option in my opinion.

People jump camera suits bigger than this midget suit.

Do they come with leg wings??? Can I fly them 3-4 miles off the DZ?

The only training people need is on the big TonySuits, ProFly, Stealth or other huge wings. Maybe you're scared to fly them? :P

No the only training people need is WAAAYYYYY before they ever get near a suit like these. They also should have some training againbefore they fly these suits

You can't expect someone to pay your slot so they can jump something like a Prodigy.

Actually I think you can. Just like I can expect to pay for a FF coach, A RW coach, or a tunnel coach.

I agree with you phil. Good post.

A new wingsuiter will have a higher success rate with an instructor, if for nothing else to look out for gear issues on the ground and before exit. Introduce a new piece of gear to an experienced skydiver and they still need to learn how it works, how to use it safely and most importantly (especially cable suits) proper rigging and routing of the wings, cutaway systems, etc...

All im saying is a good instructor wont be the reason you do well in the sky, but we can help you get there easier AND make you safer along the way. so why not.

Justin Shorb
Flock U
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

All I can say is that the more things change the more they stay the same. The whole issue(s) mentioned in the previous handful of posts have been hashed out here years ago. There will always be a cross section of people who will think there is no need for an instructor, to pay for instruction, to pay for suit rental/repair or to compensate the instructor for his time and knowledge. One thing I can say is if you go back and re-read those threads you will see statements by people who were part of said cross section that now hold a different opinion on the subject. Why is that you suppose?

While no one denies hooking people up is a good thing to do, the old adage " You get what you pay for" not only applies to learning how to fly a wingsuit but also becoming an instructor. Ask yourself, as a student would you rather have an instructor that got his rating in 30 minutes or one who took the time to receive quality training and useful knowledge that he/she can pass on?

The problem now a days is there is a group of people that think everything should be given to them. What next, should we expect packers to pack for free too?

It makes me laugh and shake my head when I see these same songs and dances come full circle roughly every year to year and half. The issue stays the same, only the faces and names change.

BTW: good post Phil. You saved me from having to go back a few years and find this topic and post my similar explanations to it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just like I can expect to pay for a FF coach, A RW coach, or a tunnel coach.

ha, he said coach! coach not = instructor, hence you don't need an instructor rating.. how many FF, RW, tunnel 'coaches" have a coach rating? I'm sure a fair number.. but not all :P

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Just like I can expect to pay for a FF coach, A RW coach, or a tunnel coach.

ha, he said coach! coach not = instructor, hence you don't need an instructor rating.. how many FF, RW, tunnel 'coaches" have a coach rating? I'm sure a fair number.. but not all :P

Stiring the pot?? Hahaha. Not to sure what youre getting at. Isnt this whole thread about no uspa ratings and the BMI/PFI validity?? I allready said it wasn't necessary... See 2 posts up :)

Scott, I don't disagree with most of what you wrote, but the PROBLEM is that there is no standard curriculum, no standard metric, and no standard evaluation protocol for the various WS "instructor" ratings.

Hence the student doesn't necessarily know what she is paying for even if the "instructor" has a piece of paper from a manufacturer. SHE MAY NOT GET WHAT SHE THINKS SHE PAYS FOR.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I still don't charge for instruction and most of the time not even suit rental - but it is understood that if you damage a suit you are respondsible --- the PFI/BMI/WSI/BMCI/PFIE.....................are all worthless little ratings that mean nothing.

Now don't get me wrong I think someone wanting to learn to wingsuit should find very experienced wingsuit pilots to help them get started - it just makes it easier.

If one were to charge I think the most that should be charged is for your seat on the plane --- what makes you think your so great that someone should pay for your pack job and other things --- you have a worthless ego rating and now you want others to pay you for it.............your getting a free jump

If you want to make money skydiving do it off beginners who are learning to skydive not the ones who have already invested the time and money to learn to skydive...............ie do tandems

I realize MOST of the wingsuit instructors don't have any type of real USPA rating which would allow that but maybe if you want to make money skydiving you need to persue a tandem rating (by all means don't get an AFF rating if you want to make money --- tandems are where the moneys at)

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid