skyjumpsteve

Birdman Blade?

The pictures should speak for themselves,

I'm guessing the blades make up the core with, what looks like, an S-6/ S-3 on each wing of the formation?

Indeed, unfortunately not all of us had the Blade prototypes in Spain. And yes, the white/red/black suits are the new Blades.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

If the new suit has mylar ribs they can keep it.

I dont have time to take my suit to the dz on a coat hanger.

They do have ribs, but they are not mylar, they are reinforced sail material (which is designed to be able to fold an bend without breaking), so you can stuff your suit in a bag just like you used to with a suit without ribs.

Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

As described, the new "mylar" serves the same function without the care/wear issues of mylar. Small pic attached. It's been in use on the S6 for some time now.

Does anyone know where to source this material (it's for a non-wingsuit project, if you're worried about competition or something). Feel free to PM me if it's a trade secret.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

it looks like a hybrid of a phi & a S6 ? no ?

Its the same colours as a phi, but thats where the similarities stop..

Those black bars on the back of the wing are backvents
The airlocked wings are the most stable and fast inflating in any of the suits Ive flown. Both in front and back flying..

The legwing attaches to the back in these prototypes..and the booties can be tilted out 90 degrees (no need for that in flocking) to gain a massive amount of surface on the legwing..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

though it is obvious that the wings are smaller than on the S3S/S6, I would say that if you where able to get high "enough" performance out of less surface area that would be ideal to me. Why flap around in tons of nylon if you could do with a little less and more intelligently applied material? It seems to me that the suit is (naturally) a hybrid of some previous designs (Firebird wing back inlets, Phi arm wings angle, S6 back deflector though a lot bigger). I notice the angle of the arms are more swept back. I like that idea. I don't quite get it why the legwing is that narrow. seems more narrow than S3S/S6? Personally I like a suit with a bit wider leg stance.. Bla bla.. the best thing is to try it on ofcourse..If it feels good it is all good ;)

The big inlets on the back make the wing look smaller visually...,but comparing the Armwings of the S6, and these prototypes, the armwings are bigger then the S6, most of the extra surface is on the body, instead of on the wingtips (which would mean longer grippers).
This can still be flown without holding grippers (for docking etc) without the armwing flapping.

Some things will be quite different on the final production model you'll see the 20th..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Is this suit a bunch of hype much like the phi flap bag. If the people at birdman would spend more time engineering there suits and less time b.s.ing everybody with teaser ad after teaser ad they would have a better flying suit. looks like they are only concernd with styling and not performance. Maybe if people start wearing them to the disco-tec they would perform better. I wonder if you can get any lift while doing a windmill!
deinflate your ego

If the people at birdman would spend more time engineering there suits and less time b.s.ing everybody with teaser ad after teaser ad they would have a better flying suit. looks like they are only concernd with styling and not performance.

Hey now be nice, we are all bird brothers and sisters. It is not bird mans fault that their most prolific designer left the company and started his own and has kept up with prolific designing. Meanwhile every other company that thinks good wingsuit designers are as common as sandwich makers is gonna have some problems when their suit does not perform to the benchmark laid out by designers who know what they are doing and have been doing it for a while successfully.

This suit is not for everyone. To qualify as a BLADE pilot please contact..............

So what do you have to do to qualify........I know have a credit card:S

High collar looks like a pain in the neck --- and hot for all the southern jumpers

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

High collar looks like a pain in the neck --- and hot for all the southern jumpers

From a purely performance perspective...and airtight collar is the correct thing, IMO. For performance the body of the suit should be snug and not fill with air.

Ofcourse, I don't like or need backvents so that is disappointing...especially with what it is called.

Kris.

From a purely performance perspective...and airtight collar is the correct thing, IMO. For performance the body of the suit should be snug and not fill with air.

Kris.

I had to cut down my Matters high collar, it bugged my apple. If we are that hard up for tight aerodynamics we could have gap seals around our pointy full face helmet like darth vader.