andy2

are you picky with your packjobs?

Do you use a packing mat or just drag your harness across the ground?

Do you sweep the area before packing?

Etc, Etc...

I've only recently started packing, and it already bugs me when theres sand/dirt on the packing floor area. At the end of the day Im less inclined to do something about it, but at the beginning I sweep it out of the way. I never drag my container, I always inspect the container/packjob quickly when its finished. I see a lot of people not doing this, and while Im not making any judgement calls (its too early for me to do so), I think its kinda weird to see how some people treat their equipment. So, how careful are you packing? Or do you just figure if something goes wrong you'll pop your plan B?

I think by the time I get my own equipment I'll be even more anal about it. What are some things that you do to promote a clean, safe, good-for-your-gear packjob? Everytime I've watched someone pack so far I've gotten one more little trick/technique.

If you have anything neat to share packing related, I'd be happy to listen. :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I'm pretty darn picky.

I don't use a packing mat, but I don't drag the container either. I walk the D-bag back down the lines as I stow them.

Remember, your plan B may not actually work, it was designed, built and packed by humans.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

im a pretty packer. i gotten to a ten min pack job without sacraficing cleaness. the main things i worry about 1.clear line sets 2.flake the nose. 3.even tight line stows (very important). 4. tight closing loop.
keep this in mind the parachute wants to open dont go too nuts going back over an over things while packing too much. rigs are'nt fragile eggs. have faith in your gear.
>

I don't use a packing mat myself but for the most part I don't drag my rig. I don't like pputting it down on the bear floor either so I will throw a sweater underneath so that it stays relatively clean that way and if it does drag a little bit it isn't on the ground.

I don't do a lot of fancy things with my stiletto. The main thing I check is that my slider is quartered, and that the lines are even from the risers. Other than that I just pack. Openings are great! far better than some that I know that spend a lot of time being too neat with their stilettos.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Very picky with my pack jobs to the oint that I will indavidually pick at each line stow that may abe outa place and yes I use a pack mat religiously.. I had one made by a friend and it goes in the gear bag with me!!:S

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

now that you mention it I do pick at some line stows if an individual line bothers me. I usually avoid this by haveing the risers even when I start stowing and being careful as I make the stows but I totally know what you mean.

Good point.

I'm not picky.

I don't pack. I think packing is over rated, but I love my rigger. He's saved my life a dozen times and I'm grateful.

I read the warning lable. Parachutes don't work sometimes. That's cool.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I guess I am pretty picky about packing – I always use a packing mat of some sort unless I’m packing on carpet. I’m often accused of being “too neat” when I’m packing but I’m not sure that such a thing is possible! I can pack in about 10 minutes without sacrificing neatness, I get pretty reasonable openings (even from a Sabre!) and that’s good enough for me!

Vicki

I'd be curious to see what we would see if the folks that answer would also note weather they have actually had to go with plan B at some point and if so, how many times.

For myself, I am a very picky packer and I take a long time about it. Sometimes I've been razzed for it.
When they do that I tell em (while grabbing my crotch) "I got yer fast pack job right here...!"
Its my life riding on it and I'm not gonna try to race or beat the clock or make that lift. I'll get on the next one, thanks!

My numbers are low but I have not had to chop one yet. I hope to keep it that way. I dont like adrenaline THAT much! Or, should I say, I dont like THAT MUCH adrenaline all at once.

Cheers

I'd be curious to see what we would see if the folks that answer would also note weather they have actually had to go with plan B at some point and if so, how many times.

Well I will be the first.

2 plan Bs

1-line over on student gear
1-lazy pull on my new pud :S -we won't make that mistake twice...

oh and I didn't pack the student gear.

I'm reasonably picky. I generally don't drag my gear on the floor, but I certainly don't sweep the floor if I have to pack on concrete. And I'll definitely pack on concrete if it means packing out of the wind. I have a drag mat, but don't use it. On reason carpet, I'll drag my gear, too, probably.

I'm probably a lot more casual about how I fold my pilot chute than a lot of people, too. To each their own. I've only had 1 malfunction on a square, and I no longer remember what it was.

Of course, I'll PLF on my gear, too. As far as I'm concerned, it's there to serve me, and not the other way around. Yes, I also inspect it regularly, and quite closely.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm a picky packer. I don't use a packing mat, but I'm really anal when it comes to my gear. I like consistant openings and since I'm a student on a budget I'd rather not pay to have my reserve packed until it's due. I also agree with Dave that plan B is no guarantee.

I always use a packing mat, even on reserves on carpet. On the carpet at the DZ the drag mat is my anchor. I have hook velcro on the bottom of the drag mat. It grips the carpet so I can pack with tension. Has a loop piece to cover it for draging.

One place you'll see wear is on your center cell top skin. Sweat, dirt, and physical wear from packing. Clean hands, long sleeve shirt, or towel to use when pushing the air out will help.

Assume your only chance to live is your main. And I as a rigger will assume your only chance to live is your reserve. Then, between the two, you have a pretty good chance.;)

I'm not real picky about the canopy itself. I'm much pickier about the line stows and PC pack style. I'm pretty sloppy packing the PC but the particular folding method is important and should vary depending on type of pocket. Hmmm, just reminded me of the first non belly band, non leg strap throw out I saw. It was packed between the main container and the back pad. The seam had a gap. Don't remember the rig but I think it was a custom modification. Probably an original Norther lite.

And I remember the first "PRO" pack I saw. Then known as a trash pack. The guy ran his lines up like a pro pack, threw it down on it's nose and raked the lines with his fingers. Then cocooned. Of course I've seen recent pro packs not much better.

These were also the days when some people completely free packed. No bag, no line stows, no diaper. Just coil the lines in the bottom and stuff the canopy on top. Some didn't have a PC. Just a handle attached to a pin sewn to the nose of the canopy. Pull the nose out in the wind and let it go. And all the variations in between. PIA has been gathering stuff for a museum, as well has funds. But a photographic museum on line might be cool. I haven't paid much attention to photo sites, etc. Somebody might consider setting one up. Maybe I'll see if PIA wants to but it on their web site at the meeting in Sept.

You young folks missed all the fun. Maybe this should have been in skydiving history.B|

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

[QUOTE]You young folks missed all the fun. Maybe this should have been in skydiving history.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing! Sounds pretty damn crazy to me! :S

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

By the way my drag mat also has a loop at the bottom for putting a stake through when packing on the ground or on a tarp outside. Put the drag mat at the edge of the tarp and stake down with a small tent stake for tension. I made this one with the velcro and stake loop. Also had a large half pouch to contain the leg straps so they didn't drag off the mat. I used to make these but usually only make them for myself now.

BTW the Belgian army (I think it was them) did some studies on what surface wore out F-111 type fabric the fastest. A polished (amd probably sealed) industrial concrete was actually the best. Rough concrete the worst. And close to rough concrete, the poly tarp like used at boggies. The fibers in the poly tarp escape the plastic and stick up like micro thorns.

Use a drag mat and gear bag all the time to keep your gear in good shape.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

first non belly band, non leg strap throw out I saw. It was packed between the main container and the back pad. The seam had a gap

I did that with my Starlite. Worked great. It wasn't as secure as current pockets, but lots of other things weren't either.

And I agree about line stows; I might not worry too much about dirt, but my line stows look good, and the canopy fabric is always cleared away from teh lines.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I am pretty sloppy sometimes with my pack jobs.. (knock on wood) they have been pretty decent. sometimes (every 15 or so jumps) I do a real slow pack job and inspect everything top to bottom... I usually have better openings with the fast sloppy pack jobs!
go figure..:)
-yoshi

that sums it up perfectly. wasnt able to put that into words last night without sounding careless. im respectful of my gear (it saves my ass regularly) but i dont freak out if it gets bumped or shoved. i do a quick inspection after each packjob. these rigs are pretty damn tough im often surprised how good most rigs look after 1000 jumps or more. have faith in your rig other wise why the hell would you jump out of a plane.
>

I'm extremely picky and almost always use a packing mat. I also check the knots on my toggles, the links holding my d-bag to my main canopy, my 3-rings and reserve pin on every pack job. I stow my lines with 'obscene' neatness, and many of my pals thinks I'm over doing it! I will turn my d-bag back and forth, parallel to the lines, while stowing which keeps them really straight and neat.

Most of my buddies have at least one cut-away. I've yet to go Plan B till date.

Speed kills! So does everything else...

Not very picky in general. Don't fold or make everything so nice. 4 reserve rides in 3200 jumps - but I went over 2100 jumps in between malfunctions. (1 of my first 3 I didn't pack, and the other 2 I blame more on being a newbie to ellipticals than packing.) I then switched away from ellipticals for a while, went 2100 jumps straight w/o a malfunction, then had one on the first weekend I had my Cobalt 85.

:-) Some people are scared of my packjobs, but they open soft and pretty consistently on heading - and most of the off-heading is directly attributable to body positions etc at opening.