CanuckInUSA

Night jump extras

In a couple of weeks, I hope to make my first (yup I'll bring beer) night jumps and I'd just like to know what sort of extra gear I need to bring. I believe chem-light is a must for my wrist mount altimeter, but what else? Also, where do I get a chem-light? Walmart or a hardware store? What section of the store can it be found in?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The dropzone will probably have chem lights for sale. In my experience, chem lights don't light up altimeters well. If there's a full moon, you might not even need an illuminated alti. But you will need a chem light for your helmet.

You also need a flashing red light for your chest strap. Look in the bicycle section.

The air at altitude is a lot colder at night. Dress warm.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I know that you are in Colorado, but SCUBA shops have great selections of item that atach well and tons of chem lights. Military surplus and hardwear stores as well.
Becareful about putting lights on your front especially bring green one as they affect your night vision. The other side of that is that the human eye sees green very well and the other people will see the light. The best one I have seen was a strobe that people turned on under canopy. It was visable for miles.
Chris

I know that you are in Colorado, but SCUBA shops have great selections of item that atach well and tons of chem lights.

Cool ... there's Scuba and bicycle shops really close to where I live. I'll check them out in a day or two. Thanks for the info Albatross and Jessica. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You can usually find nice small chem lights at Party supply stores. I use: one on my cutaway handle, one on my reserve handle, one on the 6-12k side of my altimeter (so it illuminates, but does not block the important side 1-6k) one large one on a riser of the main incase I chop chop and have to do night time recon...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

The best one I have seen was a strobe that people turned on under canopy. It was visable for miles.

Somewhere I still have one of those... They used to be available from ParaGear, not sure if they're still carrying them. I did see them in a Campmor catalog last week - ah yes, try here. :)

I beleive that you ahve to have some type of light that is visible for 2 or 3 statute mile from exit to landing.... I have used (spared at no expense of course) in excess of 15 glow stix (I wanted to resemble a x-mas tree)B| and a flashing beacon light that I turned on under canopy (which could be turned on in fee fall, but if you are jumping with others their eyes wont appreciate it:) one of the guys at my dz specially made a night jump helmet (looked like something doc would have worn out of back to the future) and it has strobes and solid flashlights and all sorts of doohickies on it... I would definately reccomend putting something kind of bright on your main risers (incase of that unexpected cutaway) and I put a minimag light in my shoe laces (it helps when landing to see whats directly under your feet).
hope that helps
-yoshi

§105.19 Parachute operations between sunset and sunrise.
(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a person to conduct a parachute operation from an aircraft between sunset and sunrise, unless the person or object descending from the aircraft displays a light that is visible for at least 3 statute miles.
(b) The light required by paragraph (a) of this section must be displayed from the time that the person or object is under a properly functioning open parachute until that person or object reaches the surface

You don't need the strobe (light visible for 3 miles) until you are under a good canopy.

I really like tying a chem light to the base of my PC for night jumps. It allows me to see where the PC is on deployment. It is visible from many different angles, including from above. In the event of a cutaway, it would make finding my main easier. I put a strobe light on my left leg strap, so that it won't blind me when I turn it on under canopy. I also put a dive light in a pocket with a fast-tex clip on it and the other half of the clip on my chest strap. After opening, I flip on the strobe, pull out the flashlight and clip it to my chest strap and shine it up at my main. It lights it up and makes the canopy very visible to other jumpers. Don't wear tinted goggles and don't let your shadow spook you.

Hook

pilotchute.jpg

Solve the altimeter problem by going to the fishing section of a sporting goods store and ask for a "lunker light" glow stick. They are about an inch and a half long. They are perfect for attaching to your altimeter without getting in the way or being too bright. You can find similar small chem lights in party stores. Ask for the ones people keep in their mouths.

We got our strobes at radio shack. Attach them to side lift webbing so they shine mostly behind you. It's for other people to see you, and you don't want it blinding you.

Oh yeah, and make sure you trust the person spotting. This is one jump when you do not want to land off.

Enjoy!

Rock

\\\disclaimer///
I haven't made a night jump, but my altimiter did.
So I watched a friend that was borrowing my Alti gearing up and asked lots of questions.
He used a small strip of silver Duck Tape to cover about 1/2 of a small light stick lengthwise. Then clear packing tape to affix it to the altimiter face. He said the silver tape would help light up the face of the altimiter rather then his eyes, hence closing his pupils up and making it harder to see in the dark. It worked pretty well for me when I played with it at later after the jump.
He and the other jumpers used the clear packing tape to affix other chem lights on their legs and arms as well.
I can't wait to do a night jump myself eventually.
matt

I did a night jump and prepared the "illuminating device" in an hour from a bicycle flashlight (the one which give continous light), tape , broken plastic ruler and an old binder cover.
Also, you might need a chest mount for the altimeter.

It worked properly.
If you need some help write me.
See pic:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2980;

Or read the topic:
Skydiving: Safety and Training:
I AM BEFORE FIRST NIGHT JUMP PLS HELP.

OVER

alldz2.jpg

I have made a couple of night jumps. I usually tape a small mag light to my wrist to see my alti. it is easier to attach than glow stix. I also rubber band several glow stix to my chest strap. They are useful if you cant see the ground. Just drop one and you will have some type of idea(some is better than none!). Also, our S&TA started sending student radios out with us. We just stash them in one of our pockets. If we land off, we can tell the others where we landed.

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

I also rubber band several glow stix to my chest strap. They are useful if you cant see the ground. Just drop one and you will have some type of idea(some is better than none!).

Dropping glow sticks from under canopy also has the tendancy to scare the hell out of the people on the ground. Then piss them off when they realize you didn't hook it in or bounce.

I have a few jumps w/ a chem light tied to the base of my PC and no problems. I don't think it would cause the PC to mal.

Hook

What you really need as basics is a small chemlite stick taped over the left side of your alti so you can see the lower portions. If you do this with a battery operated nite jump attachment ok but a taped stick isn't as bulky and there are no batterys to fail.
A lite or two on your body somewhere so that others in your group can see you.
Our S&TA cautions against over amping your extra nite goodies. As far as the FAA 3mile lite requirement well. A flash lite to check your canopy- if its good you will know it with a control check. If its fuckt you will know it quik. Thats why you pull higher at night. If you fear a cutaway tape a chem lite on your risers to help find it sooner. If the wind is bad enough the jumps should get called off.
Most of our nite cuttaways were found pretty quik.
Tape all your lites so you can activate them on the ride up and pull off the last strip of tape to reveal the lites just before you exit, or hold your hand over it so as not to blind everyone aboard.

You don't want to fixate on all your goodies what you want to do is conserve your night vision. In the day we see fine for miles but at night your vision is effected by altitude, some people more than others. Spot everyone in your group and make sure they see you. Don't spiral down into the lower trafic patterns, avoid getting nite spatial disorientation by flying mellow under canopy. This helps to avoid collisions. So does keeping groups small. Pay more attention to your scan of the sky and your spot for a landing.
I've been on many night jumps. Last month we had light and variable winds. First jump sqweaked it in right over the cars we use for lighting the landing area. Like I've always done on night jumps like most people do cuz they are paying attention to their surroundings.
Second jump winds change after half the group gets out 180 degrees and maybe 7-10 knots. Had to land downwind in a large and open area filled with hard dirt clods. everybody that landed downwind endoed a couple of times some got face dragged.
I haven't messed up a landing in a couple hundred jumps (with one watery exception ) and all of my previous night jumps could just about qualify for D licence accuracy. But you have to be prepared to land in some funky places and things could get ruff at night.
With all that being said I really love night jumps. I will do them everychance I get. Nothing to fear if you know how to approach it. What is important and what will distract you from doing a great job and get you down safe. Have fun and know that when you are out there on a night jump your brothers at other DZs will be up doin them also. Glen