Kimblair13

Order of canopies....

I'm too new to tell anyone else what to use, but I moved from a PD 260 down to a PD190 during training, then to a PD170 shortly afterwards so that I'd be ready for the Aerodyne Pilot 168 that I ordered. And IMHO the Pilot absolutely rules!! So, as for my progression opinion:
PDwhatever till you get through training,
Pilot 168
add weights
Pilot 135
add weights
then buy a Mamba (unless it turns out that it sucks);)

Can't wait to see your fat ass on a velocity!!!
:P

WHOAA!!

You calling me fat?

Actually.. being at about 250+ jumps since I posted my original comment about going to a Velo..

I want to put a new total number on my 135.. 1000 jumps (I am at about 400 now)

The Sabre2 continues to amaze me and made me realize again this weekend that I am not done learning this parachute yet.. not even CLOSE.

Iwan

Manta 288 - 40 Jumps
Sabre 210 - 130 Jumps
Sabre 170 - 350 Jumps
Heatwave 170 - 3 Jumps (ouch...)
Cobalt 150 (10 jumps)
Diablo 170 (5 jumps)
Sabre 2 170 (5 jumps)
Nitro 170 (5 jumps)
X-fire2 170 (30 jumps)
X-fire 2 149 - 450+ jumps to current

Not sure what I can really go down to next as I'm already loading my x-fire2 149 and 2:0/1
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Spectre 210 @ 0.9/1 - 25 jumps

Spectre 190 @ 1.0/1 - 6 jumps and one gusty downwind fast foot slide landing that in the end bruised my coccyx as well as my confidence for a while

Spectre 210 @ .9/1 - 30 jumps

Spectre 190/Pilot 188/ Sabre2 190 @ 1.0/1 - 60 jumps

Pilot 168/Safire2 169 @ 1.13/1 - 70 jumps

Safire2 149 @ 1.26/1...I'll let you know Tuesday night:P
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Not sure what I can really go down to next as I'm already loading my x-fire2 149 and 2:0/1

A big VX!! ;)

Here's mine whether you want it or not.

Student shit 20 jumps
Silouette 230 15 jumps
Spectre 230 25 jumps
PD 210 40 jumps
Safire 209 300 jumps
Safire2 169 100 jumps
Crossfire2 169 150 Jumps
Crossfire2 141 200 jumps
Crossfire2 119 200 jumps
VX 114 30 jumps
VX 104 200 jumps current

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Two points to note:

1- I sincerely hope you're getting canopy coaching. You're being very aggressive in your downsizing, and there's quite a high chance you'll hurt yourself.

2- You'll have difficulty travelling to jump. Many DZs won't let you jump an elliptical loaded at 1.5 when you've only got a B licence. Make sure you check before you travel.

Matt, thats insightful, thank you.. :S

Dave, 1. Yes I am, the only reason I am downsizing the way I am is that my instructor is really helping me out and feels confident with me, He is basically telling me when to downsize and what to go to. He is making all the calls.

2. I have thought about that and am actually a bit worried, I'll have my C Licence by the time I visit another DZ but yes I have thought about that.

Cheers for your concerns :)

Cheers,
Jason.

the only reason I am downsizing the way I am is that my instructor is really helping me out and feels confident with me, He is basically telling me when to downsize and what to go to. He is making all the calls.

What's he been teaching you? How have you been flying your canopy? Are you inducing speed low to the ground? If yes, how much did you practice up high before you brought it low to the ground? What did you practice up high? How current are you? How current do you plan on being? Why do you want to downsize after only 16 jumps on your current canopy? How reputable is this coach you speak of? Why are you willing to trust your life with his word that you'll be okay? After all you've told us that he's the one making the calls for your life.

I have thought about that and am actually a bit worried

Having a DZ reject you and your canopy should be the least of your worries right now.

Dude I'm no canopy nazi. Like some other people, I progressed faster than recommended. But I put hundreds and hundreds of jumps on virtually each canopy that I jumped and I was always pretty darn current. Plus I sought professional coaching from one of the world's best canopy pilots when I really wanted to take that next step (I sought coaching more than once as well). If someone wants to talk to me about swooping, then I'm game, let's talk. But know this ... There are no short cuts to swooping. It seems that this is something you're not aware of and you're going to find out what this means sooner or later if you put your blind trust in others instead of doing it the right way. Any one of us is capable of fucking up and permanently messing ourselves up. But there is a right way and a wrong way to go about becoming a good canopy pilot. So what's the right way?

1) Be patient, becoming a good canopy pilot doesn't happen over night.
2) Seek professional coaching from reputable coaches.
3) Dedicate jumps towards canopy control.
4) Put hundreds and hundreds of jumps on each canopy (stay current too).
5) Never skip a step in the downsizing/canopy type progression.
6) Know your limits and stay within them.
7) Know that there is always someone else better than you.
8) Know that there are no short cuts to swooping.

Oh and just so that you know my progression so that you see that it's somewhat aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive as the path you're on. Here it is ...

Jumps 1 ... 40 (various student/rental canopies from 290s down to 230s).
Triathlon 220 ... 50 jumps
Sabre2 190 ... 85 jumps
Sabre2 170 ... 225 jumps (the canopy I really learned to swoop on)
Crossfire2 139 ... 225 jumps
Crossfire2 119 ... 150 jumps
Velocity 111 ... 200 jumps
Velocity 103 ... 350+ jumps (current canopy)

and in many people's eyes I was aggressive with this progression. But at your pace you'll be on a cross-braced canopy at 200 jumps? I sure hope not.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Nothing I can say is going to make anyone think this is a good way/idea so I'll keep it simple.
I actually thought about not posting, due to the fact I knew this would happen.

My instructor has in excess of 7,500 jumps in 25(ish) years, he currently flies a Velocity 84 and what I am learning from him is amazing.
He puts so much emphasis on canopy control it's great.
I do trust my life with him, yes, although if he asks me to do something I don't feel confident/happy about, I won't do it.
I jump about 7-10 times a week and don't intend on jumping less than 8 times a fortnight. (if this changes, so will my plans.)
The reason to go from a 150 to a 135 is because I have ordered a container (for a 135) but it wont be here for about 6 weeks.

But at your pace you'll be on a cross-braced canopy at 200 jumps? I sure hope not.

No. I had no intention of going any smaller, for a very, very long time. :)
Again, thank you for your concern :)

Cheers,
Jason.

Sabre2 170 ... 225 jumps (the canopy I really learned to swoop on)

Me too, although I moved down one size to the 150 Sabre2 for about 100 jumps after that and then downsized to the Crossfire2 129 instead of the 139...

And yes people thought that was aggressive, but what they didnt see was....

at least 20 high pulls (13500ish)

love those high pulls with my buddy matt, a lot of fun this summer and really taught us canopy control flying around each other in the sky having fun.

and as a result you learn the full range of your canopy...(plus tandem hunting is fun)

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

The reason to go from a 150 to a 135 is because I have ordered a container (for a 135) but it wont be here for about 6 weeks.

Sorry but that really is the worst possible reason to downsize.

Your 150 will still fit in a 135 sized container.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Matt, thats insightful, thank you..

A Stiletto loaded at 1.5 at ~100 jumps is retarded. I've jumped one loaded at ~1.4 and it is significantly higher performance than a Sabre. The control range is higher, the stall is abrupt, there is a lot of oversteer, the openings are sketchy, and it is unforgiving of an uneven flare, i.e. if you reach a bit with one hand when you are landing (which new jumpers often do) you will get an instant "wingover" and likely an ambulance ride.

I am definately not a canopy nazi either but your "progression" is whacked. I'd at least recommend a Nitro instead of Stiletto since they open better and have better bottom end lift but I'm willing to bet Beezy wouldn't sell you one because of your experience (or lack thereof).

I've got a lot of coaching from expert canopy pilots too and I know for a fact none of them would recommend a [email protected] when I had <100 jumps regardless of my "skills".

I actually thought about not posting, due to the fact I knew this would happen.

When people say things like that it sets off a huge red flag since they know they are pushing it or making a bad decision. Take some responsibility for your own progression, listen to some other people that have a ton of canopy piloting experience (not just your local hero), do your homework, buy Brian Germain's book, etc...

Brian Burke made an interesting comment about jump numbers the last time I talked to him, "What does having thousands of jumps really mean? Well... you know how to pull." Not all "experts" are created equal.

How's that for insightful. :S
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080