billvon

Top 5 RSL myths

I keep seeing the same arguments made against RSL's, over and over. Many of them are just myths, word-of-mouth anecdotal stories passed down for so long that their original meaning has gotten lost. I figured I would list them here:
1. You should get stable before you open your reserve, and so you should disconnect your RSL.
First off, you should _not_ be stable face-to-earth when you open your reserve. The Racer manual spells this out explicitly - you should be head-high if possible to ensure a cleaner reserve deployment. Fortunately, you are head high the instant you cut away from your main, and that is the point at which an RSL will open your reserve.
Secondly, there are two universal truths in skydiving - you won't do it if you don't practice it, and you _will_ do what you trained to do. If you practice "cutting away and getting stable" you _will_ do that in the air, even if you someday cut away at 500 feet. If you do that, the only thing that will save your life will be your RSL.
Finally, before you decide that it's a good idea to cut away and then get stable, I'd recommend you do an intentional cutaway from a rapidly spinning canopy and see how long it takes. (Hint - it does not take just a second or two.)
2. You only need an RSL if you're going to forget to pull your reserve.
Rick Horn, one of the three people in the US who trains all AFF-JM's, once needed his RSL due to rig distortion. He could not find his reserve handle. If you are more current at cutaways than a man who teaches them every month, and have more jumps than him (6000?) that might be a valid point, but I think few people are.
3. If you cut away on the ground on a windy day and you have an RSL, your reserve will inflate.
Simply not true. Try it next time you need a repack - go outside in the wind and pull your reserve handle. The PC will come out, the freebag may fall on the ground - and that's it. Unless you have decided to jump in a hurricane, even 25kts of wind (way more than most people will jump in) won't inflate a reserve.
Of course, you can disconnect your RSL once under canopy to prevent the reserve from opening at all if you have to cut away on the ground. That's a convenience issue, not a safety one.
4. You can practice cutting away on the ground, so how hard can it be?
RSL's are not for normal cutaways. They are for madly spinning mals where you can barely see one of your handles. They are for mals while wearing a wingsuit, where you have fabric flying in your face and you can barely see. They are for cutaways at 600 feet when someone sets up a hook right into your canopy and destroys it. These are the situations where RSL's save lives.
If you will never be in such a situation, great. But I have discovered that those situations find you, rather than the other way around.
5. You have to "fall away" from your main to guarantee you won't entangle with it.
Simply untrue. I've watched an awful lot of rig testing, and the physics just doesn't let that happen. Even in a malfunctioning canopy, the forces work to separate the main and the jumper/reserve.
And if you postulate a bizarre scenario where the reserve PC can somehow entangle with the main? The reserve will simply open faster.
All that being said, there are still reasons not to use an RSL. We disconnected all our tandem RSL's a while back because there had been some problems with broken risers, and that's a risk when you use a one-sided RSL. If you're doing something bizarre (like jumping a 46 sq ft canopy and opening at 5000 feet) an RSL will probably not help you much, and if you're doing intentional cutaways or CRW, it makes sense to simplify your gear and be able to fall away from something before you open your reserve. But for a lot of people it makes sense.
Personally, I recommend everyone use one until they get to 200 jumps and/or have their first cutaway from a spinner. At that point they will have the experience to make a good judgement on their own.
-bill von

Well said. I recommend RSL's for everyone at any experience level, but not all jumps, and recognize some people won't chose to use one. One thing I'm finding is that many newer jumpers have never had factual education about RSL's, just DZ rumor, often from the last guy that got off student status. One added point about being stable. Remeber the reason we don't use throwout reserves and most students are trained on ripcords is that containers with spring loaded PC's and ripcords are designed to open no matter what attitude your in.
Terry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I recommend everyone use one until they get to 200 jumps and/or have their first cutaway from a spinner. At that point they will have the experience to make a good judgement on their own.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Couldn't agree more on that. I think when going through a mal the stress levels are much higher, and jumpers who are still relatively new to the skies need to be very careful in how they rate their abilites when things just aren't going their way before they choose to disconnect the RSL. Sporting experience and maturity ttakes time to develop.

bill:
i am in TOTAL agreement on EVERYTHING you just stated. did we ALL hear this? hopefully. thanks bill, good words, hopefully save some lives, to those who will listen.
Richard
"An Ounce Of Prevention Is Worth A Pound Of Cure"

I am posting this in this thread, since the other one already flamed up a bit. Here is a little background: I have about 125 jumps on a Talon2 and Sabre 210 loading at 1:1. I have never had a reserve ride, and I am starting casual camera flying and CREW. By casual I mean fun jumps and simple stacks, and yes I have already gotten a lot of advice about my jumping situation and whether that is safe or not. I feel I am safely expanding my horizons.
So now the question: I have followed the whole RSL debate and fall in the middle. However for more of my jumping than not, I need it disconnected. Is the safety gained by having it on my rig available for a few jumps worth the risk of having it snag while dangling around on the other 80% of my jumps?
I am not looking for RSL vs. no RSL. I would like genuine advice from a rigging standpoint about leaving it on and the risks versus taking if off altogether. Thanks
Malachi

I have mine on but disconnected when ever I fly video (80% of my jumps anymore). It tucks neatly in the mudflap and does'nt "Hangout" or anything. You would'nt even know its on my rig unless you look at the reserve pin and see it there. Its fine.
And are you doing more CReW then freefall? If not, leave it attached, dissconnected but tucked under the reserve risers.
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

>So now the question: I have followed the whole RSL debate and fall in the middle.
> However for more of my jumping than not, I need it disconnected. Is the safety
> gained by having it on my rig available for a few jumps worth the risk of having it
> snag while dangling around on the other 80% of my jumps?
I don't think there is a significant risk of it snagging. Attach it to your cutaway cable housing when you're not using it (below the swaged-on eyelet) and it will present less of a snag risk than when connected as intended. If you are indeed using it only 20% of the time though it is probably not worth the constant switching, since it will eventually get configured the wrong way for your next jump.
As an aside, Vector tandem rigs use the RSL as an alternate reserve deployment handle, in case a student traps one of your hands. I don't think its a big consideration, but it is nice to have an alternate way to deploy your reserve if, for example, the handle becomes inaccessible or the cable housing jams.
-bill von

They'll first tell you you're an idiot, probably.....then someone will come to your rescue. It'll be mudslinging and name calling for daaaayyys.....but it might be fun to screw around with 'em a bit. I'll keep my eye open for your post, then....
Peace~
Lindsey
Eve was framed!

Dis-connectiong an RSL and attaching it to the cutaway housing won't present a problem is most cases. Make sure you don't wrap it around the risers or anything. I can't think of any systems that it would present a problem on. Anyone else think of any rigging problem w/ a disconnected RSL? I would recommend not letting flop around freely.
Something to watch out for w/ RSL's: I caught an RSL w/ the small split ring for the quick-release snagged on the white loop of the 3-ring next to it. In a cutaway, the 3-ring wouldn't have released.
Hook

On my last repack, my rigger asked me if I used an RSL, I said "no - but it's still on there so I can reconect it if I want to". The rigger takes this as me not wanting my RSL at all, and doesn't connect it from the pin when she finished the pack job. My RSL is disonnected at BOTH ends! I'm not majorly concerned because the likelyhood of me reconnecting it before my next repack is minimal, but it clearly went against what I'd told her.
I supose it's good because if the RSL does snag, it should pull through, without dumping my reserve. Good thing:
I wonder though, if the floating RSL end-point floating around the back of my rig is a bad thing? I keep it hidden away in the same pocket as my reserve packing card on my Javelin. Does anyone think this might cause a problem?
Would any other riggers do this? Disconnect the back end of the RSL simply because the front end is disconnected?
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

bill,
Because of your familiarity with the Vector, I'm sure you are also familiar with the "Collin's Lanyard". I think it is a great innovation and would be practical improvement on all sport rigs. Would you care to explain to people what it is, why it is different, and maybe share some personal thought s on it?
alan

Rick Horn has over 100 cutaways so he's usually current (mostly test jumps).
Why would manufacturers include RSL as (mostly) standard equipment on their rigs? and why would they have been used for 30 yrs (if you count the Stevens lanyard)?
There must be a reason why they're still being recommended.
And yes not everyone should have them, but look at the fatality study for a few (each year) who would have been better off if they'd had one.
Red, White and Blue Skies,
John T. Brasher D-5166

Not trying to dispute what you're saying, but giving the reasons I, in my limited experience decided agains one in response to your post. I'm more than willing to listen to additional advice. I've based my choice on advice I've received here and at my dz, and from reading accident reports. I'm always willing to reconsider. That being said, oh yeah and, "I'm not an expert...":
These numbers correspond to your statements:
1. What about when you do cut away from that violently spinning main? Isn't it possible that you will not be head high, or belly to earth, but spinning and toppling? And isn't it possible that you will have enough altitude to get stable?
On this point, I'm still split. But if anyone has factual numbers comparing the number of times someone has cutaway too low to deploy a reserve vs. the number of times people have cutaway and been in a tumble or spin with enough alti to get stable, I'd take that under consideration.
2. Agreed. Again though, any hard numbers on this as compared to number 5 (which I question below)?
3. Agree completely with this one and did not enter into my consideration.
4. This has several different parts. First, the wildly spinning mal, I question the safety of the RSL because of number 1 above. I don't wear a wing suit, and if I ever start to, I would reconsider all my equipment including RSL at that time. Cutaways at 600', yep, an RSL would be nice if you got hit and run on, but if you're entangled, it might be a toss up between opening right away, or a half second after you clear it.
5. I have to disagree with you there. I've read of quite a few incidents, fatal and not, where reserves have entangled with cut away mains. And if the reserve PC entangles with the main, your main could flap around and wrap up the lines of your reserve.
A couple of other reasons I decided against it. The main reason being, have one set of emergency procedures. There are situations where disconnecting the RSL is recommended before cutting away, such as an entanglement. I'd rather not have to worry about it. If I have one, no matter what I'd want to know and practice what to do under every circumstance. And that means there'd be a delay in my cutaway while I consider if I should disconnect or not. Seems to me I'd rather initiate my EP without thinking about it, rather than decide which route to take.
I did a lot of research on this issue before deciding, and found that there are real world examples, not just dz rumors, where the RSL may have exacerbated the problem, and where an RSL could have saved someone. I just didn't think I found enough evidence one way or the other, and decided in my best interest to simplify my emergency procedures without any hard evidence that it may be jeopardizing my safety.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Anyone... just how likely is it that you going to have a violently spinning mal?
The most common reason I hear about disconnecting a RSL is the violently mal possibility. Unless you are jumping a highly loaded or full elliptical canopy... its not really going to happen that easily.
Try getting into a self indused spin at a high altitude and see how bad it is.
I tried this once to see how bad it could get, before poping your brakes,I only popped one side then let the canopy turn on its own. Then I held the released side down in a deep turn. That was the most wicked input I've seemed to have found on my canopy yet. I just had to be prepared to pop the other brake and recover the flight of the canopy in a heartbeat. And honestly... it was'nt bad enough to warrent disconnecting my RSL just becasue or it. Once I start loading the canopy beyond 1.25:1, I might look at it all over again, but when ever I'm not jumping camera, the RSL is usually on.
I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend... ~3EB

Unless you are jumping a highly loaded or full elliptical canopy... its not really going to happen that easily.

I hear this a lot, so I guess this will surprise a lot of people. In 1976 I was jumping a strato star. A 5 cell square canopy. I had a spinning mal that put me on my back right away. When I cutaway I was still spinning on my back and got stable before my reserve pull. I dumped my reserve at around 1000 ft. It can happen with any canopy!
little boy to little girl. Oh yea if thats what it is lets hear it meow!

anyone is a pretty big statement, there are plenty of loaded canopies out there that will twist up like a barber pole and spin like a top.... I saw three in a month, 2 resulted in a cutaway (not me), one I was able to kick out of. No RSL's were involved YMMV