Viking

Question about audibles...

Whats the cheapest one that will tell me my airspeed and thats it time to open?? Also when its time to dump do they just start beeping in your ear or is it a gradual thing?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

Don't go with cheap! Get the best - imho ProTrack, if you want something that will record your airspeed. Or, if you insist on cheap, I'll let you know if my Skytronic Pro ever comes back fixed from the mfr. and sell that to you cheap. :)They just start beeping at you when it's time. ProTrack, ProDytter, SkytronicPro, TimeOut all have three alerts; all three are adjustable on the ProTrack and ProDytter, SkyPro you can adjust the top two, TimeOut the top one. I don't know anything about the newest version of the Skytronic. One advantage to the ProTrack and ProDytter is that each of the three alerts is a distinct sound, making it easy to tell which one is going off at you.
pull and flare,
lisa
--

I know skytronic has an audible kinda like a protrack, but not as fancy. I think its about 169.00$$ BUT I've heard nothing but bad about there customer service!!!! It reads exit alt, air speed, deployment alt, and some other things.
I know with my protrack that at 4000ft it will go beep a couple times for break off then go quiet. Then as I cruise to 2800ft (pull) it beeps a lot faster. And the longer I wait to pull the faster it gets. If I go to 1800(harddeck) it flat lines, but I havent heard that one yet!!!!
I love my protrack. I figured if I'm going to buy something for all that info I want the best. I know people that bought a skytronic and are happy with it , but have said they wish they had bought a protrack!!!! Now if your just looking for an audilbe , the dytters I here are great. 165$$ and even the old time outs are great too. I'm sure someone else though will have a diff opinion other than mine and thats fine. I'm just going off what I have and what I've seen and heard
jason

I have a question about audibles too.
I just bought a dytter and haven't jumped with it yet, but I've played with it at home and that fool is LOUD! Which is good in freefall, but since I plan to be under canopy while I'm cruising through the "oh shit" altitude, is that thing gonna scream in my ear while I'm under a nice, quiet parachute? And if so, is it painfully loud?
Pet me! I'm harmless and cute!

No . as soon as it detects your under canopy (slowed to a safe air speed) the audible part turns off. I've my protrack scream in my ear cruising passt my pull alt and as soon as the chute is over my head it stops screaming. It may sound loud on the ground but when the air is going by at 120 mph its not too loud. doesnt hurt your s ears.
jason

Actually - the 3rd alarm (hard deck) on the Protrack is not a flatline. It is a screaming siren. Yup - I've heard it, unfortunately!
And as loud as these suckers are on the ground they are the perfect volume for freefall since they have to compete with all that wind noise.
I LOVE my Protrack!!!!
dove

I just got a protrack, can't wait to use it. And yea, those motherf***ers are loud without wind to mute the noise. In fact I set off the sounds in my apartment, and it is way louder than my smoke detector is. :)"Can't keep my mind from the circling sky. Tongue-tied & twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I."

I jump with a Skytronic FX I got cheap. It does a good job as an audible, but the numbers it gives you for airspeed, and altitude (pull altitude) are always way way off. I have jumped with people using protracks and our numbers are not even in the same ballpark, even though we match fallrates. I have it attached outside of my gath, so it is getting clean air. Because of the accuracy problems, it is basically an audible with max altitude, and it logs the jumps. Will go with protrack when I get some coin.

I have it attached outside of my gath, so it is getting clean air.

Not according to L&B. For the most accurate speed readings on a ProTrack they recommend mounting it on your ankle, not on your helmet (inside or outside). I'm sure the same would apply to a Skytronic FX.
pull and flare,
lisa
--

>>I have it attached outside of my gath, so it is getting clean air.
>Not according to L&B.
Well, it's getting clean air, but not accurate air. The "static ports" (pressure sensor openings) on airplanes are mounted outside parallel to the direction of flight, which still isn't ideal - if you slip the plane left or right, your altitude can go up or down by 100 feet since the static port is now having air "rammed" into it. Since your helmet is moving all over the place, you can have a similar problem. There's no perfect place to mount an altimeter on a person, but areas that don't cast a big "wind shadow" (like your arm or leg) are a little more accurate than your head or chest because there's less of a low-pressure burble.
-bill von

"they recommend mounting it on your ankle"
Yeah, this part of the manual and the design of the device got me thinking.....
Fat lot of use down there, never hear it.
So why don't they put a port on it that you could plug an ear piece into, run the cable up inside your suit etc etc.....
I figure most people buy a Pro Track as an audible first and its 'flight recorder' is merely a nice to have.
I appreciate that hard core speed racers have to have accurate data, but don't we all as we scream past the yellow and into the red....
just some of my lunch time ramblings....

I just bought a dytter and haven't jumped with it yet, but I've played with it at home and that fool is LOUD! Which is good in freefall, but since I plan to be under canopy while I'm cruising through the "oh shit" altitude, is that thing gonna scream in my ear while I'm under a nice, quiet parachute? And if so, is it painfully loud?

As others have stated, the Pro-Track and Dytter will stop sounding alarms when it senses that you have slowed below a certain vertical speed(when you get under a good, or at least slow, canopy) - BUT, if you are under canopy higher than your highest Dytter warning is set, it will STILL go off when you pass through that altitude.. I assume it's in case the computer is unable to sense fall rate, at least you will get one warning..
Mike

BUT, if you are under canopy higher than your highest Dytter warning is set, it will STILL go off when you pass through that altitude..

This beep is great as a break off for Crew or when you are out dogfighting canopies :)I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

Since nobody's pointed this out, I will.
An audible is not a replacement for a visual altimeter. I hope it's obvious that you still need to wear a visual, but there's no point in wearing one if you're not going to use it.
I lost my pro-track at Skydive Chicago recently. I discovered it missing at about 4000 feet when I noticed it wasn't going off. I'm happy that after using an audible for a few hundred jumps I still had the habbit of checking my wrist mount.
The second point here is that mounting audibles on the outside of your helmet (where you can see it) is a good thing. I had been using the internal pockets of my helmet.
Despite the fact that I check the internal pockets on every jump, I must have neglected to check on this one jump.
Put 'em on the outside where you can see 'em, and always use your visual.
_Am

All this talk still gets back to my original statement, that my FX is way way off when compared to Pro Tracks. A couple of my friends have them (ProTracks) mounted the same way, and we will always have completely (and I mean completely) different logs. I also am curious why my pull altitude is always about 1000' or more off. This made me nervous, seeing logs of pulls repeatedly at 1300, and thought maybe my Alti was off. The funny thing is, its alerts are at the corresponding altitude i read off my altimeter. the alti has been calibrated, plus just being in group dives and talking to other people ("I pulled at 2500 and you were above me") has since confirmed that it is the FX that is off. I am going to try turning the unit in other attitudes and see which way is the most accurate. I would put it inside and try that, but the gath fits too snug.
Bret

Problem with having them on the outside is they can get kicked/knocked out fairly easly. You need to weight wiether you can afford to have your audible kicked out or just put it on the inside of your helemt. Its all about personal choices though.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

Actually, neither an audible altimeter nor a visual altimeter is a replacement for visually checking your altitude by looking at the ground. Both audibles and visual altimeters have and will malfunction. Develop your visual altitude sense. It may save your life.
- Dan G

This beep is great as a break off for Crew

During CRW, that's exactly what I set the highest setting for......it tells me that it's time to get ready for the breakdown......and it also reminds me that it's time to pull the silver pad if I'm back in freefall again after a wrap.. ;)
Mike

The second point here is that mounting audibles on the outside of your helmet (where you can see it) is a good thing. I had been using the internal pockets of my helmet.

There's nothing wrong with using the internal pocket - in fact, it's a much more secure placement.. If you wear your helmet for takeoff, and keep it on until about 1,000ft you get to hear the Dytter beep and you KNOW it's there.. I know, I know - it's not COOL to wear a helmet during takeoff......but think of how cool it will be when you have a massive head injury after the airplane crashes on takeoff and all those uncool people wearing helmets have their noggin in tact.. I always wear my helmet during takeoff unless I'm jumping the camera helmet - then the additional weight would be more damaging than helpful during a crash, so I attach it to my chest strap so that it will not become a projectile if we crash..
I don't know if you wear your helmet or not(I'm guessing not based on your statement, though), and not trying to single you out - just trying to make a point for everybody reading..
Mike

I know, I know - it's not COOL to wear a helmet during takeoff......but think of how cool it will be when you have a massive head injury after the airplane crashes on takeoff and all those uncool people wearing helmets have their noggin in tact..

Amen. I wish more would realize this. It's a bit of a contradiction to see someone who's usually very safe (gear check on the ground, pin check on the plane, handle check on the plane) not wear a helmet during takeoff. I wish more DZs or pilots would enforce this. Finally - it's not only a matter of their personal safety - it's a matter of safety for EVERYONE on the plane. In the event of a crash an unsecured helmet is going to become a projectile, who knows what damage that might do.
-
Jim