47 47
quade

DB Cooper

31 minutes ago, georger said:

I dont get it.  Sauve Island is not before (south of) Tena Bar, or across from Tena Bar, but north of Tena Bar.  How does a land mass north of Tena Bar push water back south to Tena Bar ?  

The land mass that affects hydrology flowing north by Tena Bar, is Caterpillar Island and the inlet above it, which are south of Tena Bar !  That is the active land mass and hydrology shaping the area south of Tena Bar.  

sauve island.JPG

Nope, Sauvie Island goes all the way to and up the Willamette.

The force of the Columbia hits Sauvie as it turns North

556803431_ScreenShot2023-11-12at1_31_53PM.png.69404d569d863d1cd73fc2b0bb053b1c.png

What are thoughts on the money timeframe...

I have several TBAR theories... one money goes in Columbia Spring 1972 and is deposited.. another money goes in River in Spring 78 or 79...

You'd think the condition of the money would give us an indication of time..

Bills underwater don't deteriorate very quickly but diatoms indicated the money was not in the water for long..

My research shows that mold starts within about 8 months for buried money...

So, could that money be buried on TBAR for 8 years? and be in that condition or is it more like 1-2 years.

It seems this would be a simple thing to establish.

Edited by FLYJACK

6 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

556803431_ScreenShot2023-11-12at1_31_53PM.png.69404d569d863d1cd73fc2b0bb053b1c.png

Liquids flow due to pressure differences. Fluids flow from a high pressure toward a lower pressure. A common example of this is found in the water faucet or stream flow of a river.  

Edited by georger
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, georger said:

Liquids flow due to pressure differences. Fluids flow from a high pressure toward a lower pressure. A common example of this is found in the water faucet or stream flow of a river.  

Don't know what you trying to imply,,

I have reports about the erosion in the 70's for Sauvie Island... it was severe.

For a River curve the erosion force is on the outside, this case the West side of the River. The water travels faster on the outside and debris is deposited on the inside.

If you look at the turn North off the Sauvie Island curve N it heads straight to TBAR.

Consider this occurring during a flood/high water event..

Edited by FLYJACK

15 hours ago, georger said:

Sauvie Island is why the Columbia River flow turns north.

The Columbia River flow is ALWAYS going downhill.

The normal water surface of the Columbia River at Tena Bar is only about two or three feet above sea level.  And it is 90+ river miles from Tena Bar to the Pacific Ocean (and sea level).

So the flow from the Columbia River goes about one inch downhill for every three miles or so. 

Edited by Robert99

20 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

What are thoughts on the money timeframe...

I have several TBAR theories... one money goes in Columbia Spring 1972 and is deposited.. another money goes in River in Spring 78 or 79...

You'd think the condition of the money would give us an indication of time..

Bills underwater don't deteriorate very quickly but diatoms indicated the money was not in the water for long..

My research shows that mold starts within about 8 months for buried money...

So, could that money be buried on TBAR for 8 years? and be in that condition or is it more like 1-2 years.

It seems this would be a simple thing to establish.

My brain tells me that it was there since 72 just due to the realistic scenarios that I can imagine in my head for how it got there, but my eyes tell me that it was 1-2 years. 

On 11/12/2023 at 1:34 PM, FLYJACK said:

There is another variable that has been missed....

Kelly Point Park, a seedy place is at the confluence of the Columbia and Willamette...

Wading and swimming has been banned due to drownings. The current is unpredictable and dangerous...

If the "money" were in the River the inflow current from the Willamette could push objects toward the Washington side.

23 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Found this depth and bathymetry map for the Columbia..

Though current, the depth all the way across at TBAR is actually relatively consistent. High 40's. There is no depth channel.. no slope in the channel just on the banks.

https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/columbia-river/#map

1738745306_ScreenShot2023-11-16at6_41_14AM.png.ce255aec1f4c2e875e018d7b8b20ed91.png

I used depth charts religiously on my boat. The depth finder on the boat and the books. What I’m wondering is when the flood data says the river reached 16 feet, do we know what the baseline is? Like 16 feet from what? If the depth is 40 feet normally does it go to 56 or is it from a point close to shore. Tom’s diatom article said that the $ was found 9 feet up and we know the find was 40 feet in. Am I right to think that a river could rise 9 feet pretty easily?

12 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

I used depth charts religiously on my boat. The depth finder on the boat and the books. What I’m wondering is when the flood data says the river reached 16 feet, do we know what the baseline is? Like 16 feet from what? If the depth is 40 feet normally does it go to 56 or is it from a point close to shore. Tom’s diatom article said that the $ was found 9 feet up and we know the find was 40 feet in. Am I right to think that a river could rise 9 feet pretty easily?

Those fishing maps are not zeroed out... 

This one is zeroed out.. but 2023.

https://hydrosurvey.nwp.usace.army.mil/nav_data/CL_26_WLWX_20230302_CS.pdf

I had the money spot at about 6.5 feet and 35 ft from the water...

The water level mean is about 2.5 ft.

With flood stage 16 ft..   the River is often above the money spot.

The Fazio's said it was underwater the week before the money find.

35 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

Those fishing maps are not zeroed out... 

This one is zeroed out.. but 2023.

https://hydrosurvey.nwp.usace.army.mil/nav_data/CL_26_WLWX_20230302_CS.pdf

I had the money spot at about 6.5 feet and 35 ft from the water...

The water level mean is about 2.5 ft.

With flood stage 16 ft..   the River is often above the money spot.

The Fazio's said it was underwater the week before the money find.

If they say it was underwater the week before then that is huge. That Leonard Nimoy show happening a few weeks before is unusual. 

3 hours ago, CooperNWO305 said:

If they say it was underwater the week before then that is huge. That Leonard Nimoy show happening a few weeks before is unusual. 

So, every flood or high water deposits and leaves how much sand at the 35ft Ingram site?  1" ? 20" 6-8" ?  (if it was a recent arrival). Date the layers Palmer identified ...

ClayLayer_lrgkb.JPG

Edited by georger

On 11/11/2023 at 3:12 PM, olemisscub said:

I have a chapter in my book on the Elsinore Ghost, and while I don't believe that Cooper was the ghost, I don't think Cameron was lying. He was a do-gooder. He had been an LAPD officer in the 1950s and spent 15 years as an officer in the military. The FBI had previously vetted him in the mid-60's and he was cleared to be an informant.

In Jan 72, he was ousted as the National Director of the USPA by a 17-2 vote of their Board of Directors. He had found himself in hot water after making accusations that the U.S. Parachute Team were involved in illegal narcotics and were all drug users. The Board also voted to strip him of his ranking as an international skydiving judge. Doesn't seem like the type of individual who would go commit a felony by lying to the FBI. 

I strongly disagree with your assertion that he was trying to promote his publication because he wouldn't have even been allowed to publicize it. The FBI would have directed him not to disseminate it lest it compromise the investigation into the tip. And again, how could him making up the story have benefited him? He was already the National Director of the USPA and the biggest swinging dick in the entire skydiving community. If anything, providing the tip would have hurt his stock. Skydiving in that era was full of outlaws. Doing something that brought a bunch of feds around to your DZ would have been massively frowned upon, especially for someone about to be ousted by the community for snitching. 

I've tried like hell to find the early 72 issues of Sky Diver magazine to see if he actually promoted this story. There are no scanned versions online and the only ones for sale are part of a huge collection being sold as a lot. So there are no individual copies out there for purchase or viewing. 

I don't think he was lying about the encounter, but I would not be surprised if he embellished the story a bit. The skeptic in me has alarm bells going off during the the Raleigh cigarettes part. That's just way too on the nose to be totally authentic. 

So it looks like Mizzou has Sky Diving v. 14 (1972).  I'm not sure if they'll lend it as the title is kind of scarce, but I can put in a request for it if it's of interest to the group.

Edited by SeventyWonderful