18 18
quade

DB Cooper

On 9/25/2020 at 10:24 AM, FLYJACK said:

Obviously there's a lot of stuff in that article that does not match what is reported here and on the Forum, but one interesting thing of note is that Cossey claims that he supplied two backpack rigs, one of which was a B-4 sport rig. That rig would have the D-rings to attach the reserve. Yeah, it says Cossey believed that was the rig left on the plane, and that doesn't match the FBI description of the rig left on the plane, but still, it's a curious bit of info, the remote possibility that Cooper had a sport rig to choose from...

---

It also quotes Himmelsbach as saying that 'half a dozen hijackers tried to pull off the same caper', some of which 'were killed in the jump'. Any truth to that?

(edited)
59 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

Obviously there's a lot of stuff in that article that does not match what is reported here and on the Forum, but one interesting thing of note is that Cossey claims that he supplied two backpack rigs, one of which was a B-4 sport rig. That rig would have the D-rings to attach the reserve. Yeah, it says Cossey believed that was the rig left on the plane, and that doesn't match the FBI description of the rig left on the plane, but still, it's a curious bit of info, the remote possibility that Cooper had a sport rig to choose from...

---

It also quotes Himmelsbach as saying that 'half a dozen hijackers tried to pull off the same caper', some of which 'were killed in the jump'. Any truth to that?

Two questions there. I can tell you that at least ONE of the chutes has no dispute, and that's the Pioneer rig sitting in the WA State History Museum. It's relegated to a rather remote spot there, behind a glass case. Another is the popped bubblegum chute the Citizen Sleuths examined. Another is the missing trainer. The fourth is the one Cooper actually used, which *most* people assume was the Navy Backpack rig. Yes, there is some dispute on that one despite the Agent John Detlor report shown below:

HaydenCosseyFBIExcerpt3.thumb.jpg.c489173017c05ea42ab94530b27c7a2f.jpg

Himmelsbach said a lot of 'stuff' during his tenure with the FBI regarding Cooper. Like when he told people the FBI and the Treasury Department were checking for Cooper bills coming in to the Fed Reserve banks, or the BPE for years. That is not true, and was verified to BE not true from two sources. One you can believe, (Larry Carr's radio interview where he says everyone gave up the search for bills within 3-6 months) and the other you have to take my word...my interview with the senior Treasury official at BEP in DC who almost laughed at the suggestion they would do a bill hunt for years. 

If Himmelsbach means that there is a list of hijackers who got money and then were killed jumping, I doubt it was six, three, or even two people. Most of the people who were actually killed during any and all aircraft hijackings were due to authorities storming the hijacked plane. Relatively few were done for money. Most were political, or done by people who just wanted to go somewhere. I did hear something once about a Filipino hijacker who went right to the source and robbed the passengers in-flight...and then jumped with a homemade chute. He was killed, of course. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

On 9/25/2020 at 11:15 PM, RobertMBlevins said:

Figured this should be bumped, in case any of you missed it:

This is the one and only 'official' announcement regarding the final 'DB Cooper Campout' happening late next spring. The only other announcement that will be done at Dropzone will be a reminder of the date, done a week prior to the actual event. So...if you are interested...take notes...because we're going to run an Event Ad on Craigslist for this one two weeks prior, instead of our usual way of posting at the AB of Seattle site, or at WordPress. There are reasons for doing it this way which I won't bother going into now. Doesn't matter. 

• First, we've come to the belief that since Covid-19 infection rates continue to drop in Washington state, and it seems likely that a vaccine will be available by spring, that we will be able to hold this event sometime next May. 

• On my last solo trip to the Olympics, all I really did was test all the gear for this event and everything worked very well. This included power sources, big-screen projector capability for media, and an adequate stereo system. Toilet and shower facilities were also tested and passed with flying colors. These things are important because anyone and everyone is free to bring their own media for presentation to the group, whether it be their own research videos on the case, movies, or anything else they wish. And while they are there, for however long they choose to stay...they must be provided with some creature comforts. Other items include a comprehensive First Aid and medical station, a propane BBQ they can use, and full time hand washing facility. 

• Whatever place we finally choose to hold this event from our Short List of Locations, three things will be certain. There will be internet access via smart phone, it will be located near a natural source of water (lake, creek, or river), it will be FREE to attend, and you will be able to drive to it without risking your vehicle unnecessarily. If you have a laptop and a smart phone with a good data plan, you can 'tether' your phone to your laptop to gain full internet access. Google 'tether your phone to a laptop' for details. This works best with an Android phone. I have tested this system myself. Speeds are slower, but it works. 

• No one will be banned or restricted from attending, not even people who don't necessarily 'like' me personally. We do ask you to be civil and not cause trouble for everyone else who will be there to have a good time. For people in the known Cooperland community:  If you have a negative attitude about AB of Seattle or our efforts in the Cooper case, it is best if you contact me personally first if you decide to go, so that we can bury the hatchet. Showing up unannounced could send the wrong message, and you could be asked to leave if you come with a chip on your shoulder. 

• Have no illusions. This is a Cooper Party. People are encouraged to have fun, as long as they don't go completely crazy on other folks. Nothing that is legal is restricted. 

• A truth you should know:  Most of the people who will respond to the Craigslist Event notice (and actually SHOW UP) will be from the public and merely fans of the Cooper case, not known Cooperland folks. Please keep that in mind. We expect a large turnout for this one, and we will probably get it. A few people from the Nissan owners support forum where I hang out have already expressed an interest in going. Some are telling their friends. 

• Some proposals are being kicked around by AB of Seattle staff. One of them is to hold a Cooper character lookalike contest and offer prizes in the form of Amazon gift cards. In a way, this is a tribute to what the Ariel Store did during their Cooper Days celebrations. We simply decided to up the ante, and inspire people that it might be worth it to attend. Besides, it was fun when Dona Elliott did it, right? ^_^

• We have no problem if you want to shoot video of the event, do your own presentation for the group, or update via the internet while you are there.  Your media can be live on video, on a flash drive, or a DVD you create. It will be broadcast onto the big screen and with the internet access, you can do as you wish. We only provide the means and power sources. 

• AB of Seattle's main job will be support for the event itself. I have no plans to do a 'Kenny Christiansen presentation' or any of that. I will personally remain in the background most of the time. Frankly, I will be far too busy anyway. 

• Did I already say it was mainly a party? Or did I forget to mention that? I guess I didn't. YES. It is a party. 

• This event will run between a Friday morning and the following Monday morning. 48 hours prior, we will send out a press release to the proper Puget Sound media. 

• The most important thing, the one that stands above all others...is to bring your own damn chairs. If not, you will end up sitting on a stump. We don't provide chairs. Greg the Techie Guy and I already figure our two trucks will be fully loaded with everything else needed for this one. :thumbup: 

LOL...anyone missing this one is missing one heck of a party. You wouldn't believe it if I told you why. 

Greg the Techie Guy has suggested to me he would be willing to put up half of the cost for the Amazon gift cards to be used as Cooper character lookalike contest prizes. I told him, "Well, if we run a Craigslist Event ad for this one, the prizes alone will draw Cooper fans from all over the place..."

Look....let me explain this situation another way and tell you what we actually have in mind here. 

I've come to the idea that there should be one last Big Cooper Party for all sorts of reasons. There is no longer one going in Ariel. I will be moving to southern California next year and I don't mind organizing and partially financing the biggest one that's ever been done before I leave. I also believe that offering up to $1,000 in Amazon gift cards for the contest will bring many people out of the woodwork, especially in the Puget Sound area. 

On the other hand, I'm not aiming this event at the few known Cooper investigators living in this area. They are free to attend, but unless they happen to catch the Craigslist ad, they won't know where to go or when, or how it's being organized. In my mind, since AB of Seattle has had minor problems with these folks before...the event is not being organized around these people. Yes, they are free to show up, to do presentations on the big screen, or just talk about Cooper with everyone who shows up. There's even a chance that some press outlets may try to attend, even if it's just for a single afternoon, to get a story. We will send out the press release with a map showing location of the event, the times, recommended gear list if they plan to stay overnight, contact information, etc. Have no illusions, by next spring we will have this one fully organized and ready to go. 

If these same 'Cooper Folk' want to attend, about the only way they can do it and feel welcome when they show up is to contact me personally PRIOR to the event about it and get all the details. It is not my wish to shut anyone out of this one, but you have to be reasonable. The event is not slanted toward YOU, although you could be a big part of it. On this one, Greg and I decided we will shoot the Full Monty video on it and pull out all the stops just like we did back in 2016 when we sponsored the final Ariel gathering. I have already been in contact with a few of the same people who supported and attended that event, and a few have expressed an interest in coming, although others said it was too far to drive. 

One of the things we plan to do is honor both Bryan Woodruff and his mother for all those years they brought annual happiness to anyone and everyone who showed up to their Cooper Days event at the tavern. 

I am willing to listen to proposals from known folk in Cooperland who wish to know everything in advance, and assist in the organization for the whole thing...but they have to be serious about it and not play games. In other words, I don't want to see disparaging comments on a certain blog threatening to show up and disrupt the event...like I saw when we organized the Cooper Campout to Mt. Hood. If I see comments like that, the person responsible for the site where these comments appear will be banned from attending, unless those comments are removed immediately. I figure if they allow all that, then they didn't want to show up anyway. 

And besides...doing that is foolish. It isn't going to stop people from responding to the CL Event ad, which is a totally separate thing. If at some point you decided you really DID want to see what it's all about, the best thing is to think about it for a while and decide whether you want to be involved or not...perhaps even in the planning and the programming. There will be a sort of loose program going here, especially for activities during the day. 

EDIT: I'm going to suggest that interested parties copy down the last two posts for future reference, because they are the only all-pubic notices that will be made about this event. The only other one will be when I announce the date and times, and that won't be until around April of 2021. That announcement will not give details on where the event will actually be held, but I can tell you that it will be in the Olympic National Forest using a group campout permit. And that it will be on the Hood Canal side of the Olympics. 

If you want further details, you must either contact me at adventurebooksofseattle AT Gmail, or wait for the Craigslist Event Notice to appear. That will happen a week or two prior to the event. I'm not trying to make this difficult for people, but I also know *some* (aka *a few*) people have tried to sabotage at least one of the prior events, and that these people came from the Cooperland community. THIS event is aimed at the public, and to a certain extent, the press. Folks in the Cooperland community are not given any special privilege to know in advance the full details...UNLESS...they can be trusted, or wish to participate in organizing this event. And they have to prove to me they are serious. If not, or if this event does not interest you, then there is no need for you to contact me about it. 

(edited)

Not Cooper related, but let me drop my prediction on the election for you. Americans can be slow to catch on sometimes, but when they do, they usually act decisively. When Trump decided to encourage right-wing groups who carry guns, and who may want to disrupt the election and voting process, this was REALLY stupid. It was a wake-up call to Americans. 

Some right-wing group recently incorporated one of his lines in the debate into their official logo. Perhaps they have ideas of showing up at polling places on Election Day. 

That would ALSO be really stupid, since there are strict Federal laws about doing that. Maybe they get their fat-ass redneck-type trucks confiscated, along with the weapons they so easily decide to intimidate people with, and brag about. This is America baby, and although you are allowed to have your say, you are NOT allowed to intimidate people to get your point across. 

My prediction is that voters will now turn out in droves just to piss you off, especially YOUNG voters, and sweep out the garbage and hatred a certain President has encouraged in America. And after a short seven months, FOUR TIMES the number of our citizens who died in the seven-plus YEARS of the Vietnam War are filling up the graveyards via Covid-19. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who is mostly responsible.

I don't care who you vote for. Just make sure you VOTE. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

15 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

This is America baby, and although you are allowed to have your say, you are NOT allowed to intimidate people to get your point across. 

Robert, the party that you currently support has been doing this very thing for quite a while now. Watch the news lately?

We shouldn't be discussing politics here, but since you brought it up I will add this: Trump may lose, I personally think he's in trouble. I also gave him no chance 4 years ago, so we'll see.

But if he loses, it won't be for the reason you stated above. It will be because we live in a country that is full of snowflakes.

Peace

48 minutes ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Robert, the party that you currently support has been doing this very thing for quite a while now. Watch the news lately?

We shouldn't be discussing politics here, but since you brought it up I will add this: Trump may lose, I personally think he's in trouble. I also gave him no chance 4 years ago, so we'll see.

But if he loses, it won't be for the reason you stated above. It will be because we live in a country that is full of snowflakes.

Peace

Personally, I don't think the USA is 'full of snowflakes'. The vast majority of our citizens are decent, hard-working folks. A minority may be as you say. Their leader currently lives at 1600 Pennsylvania.

Or to put it another way:

For over a hundred years, historians have debated the question of 'who was the worst US President?' Andrew Johnson, the guy who took over after Lincoln was killed, is always near the top of the list. And a few others. After 2020, that debate will end. There will no longer be a question, because the answer has been provided. 

In actual Cooper news, I have identified a woman (and her husband) who live next door to where the Amboy Chute was discovered. It came to me that I interviewed her for a video at the 2012 Ariel Party. I dug up this old video recently and reviewed it, and yes, she gave her first and last name. Later, she told me some stuff about the finding of the parachute. This is no real big deal I know. Interesting, I guess. She was a nice lady. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Jimmy Carter. At least in my lifetime.

Oh. You mean the guy who won the Nobel Peace Prize and spent his post-presidency building homes for poor people. The US Navy vet who served on submarines. The peanut farmer who never told a lie in office. I have heard of him. 

Yeah, he was (is) REALLY bad. ^_^ Just an awful excuse for an American. He went back to teaching Sunday School last year, but had to stop when the pandemic hit. That was after his brain operation to relieve pressure, which succeeded. 

One of the expected requirements of the US Presidency isn't how good you might be at the job. It's if you actually take to heart that oath they give you at the start. Whether you are actually any good at the job is sort of secondary. It's a learn-on-the-job kind of thing. There is a world of difference between Carter and Trump. Americans are almost always better off when someone of character is holding the Presidency. Carter was by far not the best US President, but he's not rated near the bottom of the pile, either. He was always honest though. And if you can depend on that from your President, things have a habit of working themselves out. It was better that Reagan took over the job in 1980. Carter, although an honest man of supreme character both before he was President...and especially AFTER...just wasn't that good at the job. This doesn't make him a 'bad' President. 

If Reagan were alive today, I'm pretty sure he would not endorse Trump for a second term. And I haven't heard anything from GW Bush in this direction either. Maybe there's a reason. One thing I've noticed is that since Trump took office, people stopped picking on George W. Bush so much. It might be related to the famous song by Johnny Cash:

"Bill...George....ANYTHING but Sue..." (Sue being Trump)

I'm fine with ditching the politics for this thread. But I wonder why you showed up here only after I made a political post. You are everywhere else with Cooper except here. So why don't YOU start? I've made most of the recent posts here at DZ that are Cooper-related. Your turn. 

Yesterday, I got a message from Darren S linking me to a podcast (not one of his) a two-parter on the Cooper case where the participants came to the idea that KC was probably Cooper. I didn't listen to it. None of the sources listed for the podcast mention the 60 articles at WordPress, the 54-page public investigatory release we did, other stuff, not even the book. I couldn't figure out how they came to that conclusion without going to the source where the best evidence hangs out. 

I also have an observation regarding the Cooper case in general. I think the public interest in it is waning. The WordPress and Quora Space on Cooper still get tons of traffic, (I don't know about Dropzone), but posts at the Cooper Forum are pretty lean. I also get emails once in a while asking me why everyone fights, some people lie, and no one can cooperate on anything. I gave up answering those emails. Greg and I are going to finance one big-ass Cooper party next spring and then we are out of the Cooper business. Just isn't worth it anymore. I even turned down the option money last month and let the idea of the Cooper movie fade away. The only hard part was telling Geoff Gray of my decision. I didn't enjoy doing that. He was slated to take the historical fact-checking job turned down by Bruce Smith. 

He wasn't surprised though, I'm sure. They paid him too, (media rights to Skyjack, via the production company run by director Will Gluck. 'Friends With Benefits,' etc.) but no movie ever came of it. The only difference was this was my choice, and in Gray's case it was the choice of the people who owned the rights. And he ended up getting more money. I don't know for sure since that is not something you ask a guy like GG, but he probably did. I ended up collecting a reasonable five figures over a three and a half year period.

After that, I figured it wasn't worth the trouble anymore. The pandemic didn't help either. I decided it was time to take the money and move on. Currently, I'm working on my own script. I've already done a couple based on other books, and I now have an AAR agent. I'll probably shop them around after we move to SoCal next summer. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

EDIT:  THIS POST back a couple of pages gives the full and complete reasons I refused to sign an extension to the media option regarding the Cooper movie. No big deal. Just in case anyone wanted the full details on WHY I came to this decision. 

I don't think Darren will mind I copied over his message. There's nothing personal in it. He gives the link to the two-part Cooper show. Haven't listened to it, so I can't vouch for the quality. 

Hey Robert,

How are things going for you? I just finished listening to this episode of Astonishing Legends where they go over the numerous suspects. Anyway they discuss your work and they said they like KC more than the other suspects!

I thought you’d enjoy it, I did. 
Darren

D.B. Cooper Part 3 - Commercial Free Bonus Show
Astonishing Legends

In Part Three, the commercial-free final "mega-sode" of our D. B. Cooper series, we continue with the FBI's profiling of the infamous skyjacker and learn of their Lead Agents' conclusions, Ralph P. Himmelsbach and Larry Carr.  While the FBI investigation would practically come to a dead-end stalemate with their inability to "prove culpability beyond a reasonable doubt," that hasn't stopped scores of amateur and some professional sleuths from continuing the chase, with scientific evidence surfacing as recently as August 2020.  One factor that has kept curiosity alive is that several likely suspects have emerged in the years since his disappearance, some having an uncanny number of bizarre coincidences to the case.  As we close out our coverage with an in-depth look at these candidates for Cooper's legacy, perhaps doubts about their suitability should remain.  One of the enduring aspects of his story for many is that a seemingly average guy may have gotten away with a mischievous and lucrative daydream.  For the sake of our fondness for legends, especially more modern ones, perhaps some mysteries are best left unsolved.  Visit our website https://www.astonishinglegends.com/al-podcasts/2020/9/26/ep-189b-d-b-cooper-part-3 for a lot more information on this episode!
Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/astonishing-legends/id923527373?i=1000492653973

Edited by RobertMBlevins

1 hour ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Oh. You mean the guy who won the Nobel Peace Prize and spent his post-presidency building homes for poor people. The US Navy vet who served on submarines. The peanut farmer who never told a lie in office. I have heard of him. 

Yeah, he was (is) REALLY bad. ^_^ Just an awful excuse for an American. He went back to teaching Sunday School last year, but had to stop when the pandemic hit. That was after his brain operation to relieve pressure, which succeeded. 

Yes, that guy. Great ex-president, perhaps the best ever. But absolute train wreck as President. I find it ironic how the worst president of my lifetime was immediately followed by the greatest....well, until recently.

(edited)

Carter did some good things, but yes...he wasn't suited for the job. I will give you that. He was in WAY over his head. Please don't compare Reagan to Trump. The only thing they have in common is that they represented the same political party. 

There's probably nothing to be gained by arguing about Trump. People either love him or hate him.

To help move Trump news from the Cooper thread to a more suitable one, I have created THIS NEW THREAD over at Speakers Corner. It responds to the news that both the President and the First Lady have tested positive for Covid-19. 

I can give you a hint how I approached this news. I do NOT think this is GOOD news. Not because of my opinions about Trump. But because if he died, it would throw the nation, and possibly the election, into chaos. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

New FBI file up #51

https://vault.fbi.gov/D-B-Cooper /d.b.-cooper-part-51-of-51/view

Interesting one,, in mid 90's. Tipster's give Duane Weber (Jo's stories) and Kenneth Christiansen (?) also Robert Rackstraw mentioned.. all named in the files.

The cigarette butts were considered for DNA but it was discovered they had been destroyed years earlier in Vegas, not lost.

cigbutssdestroyed.jpeg.c4cac3f51e6ab87a5ee8e8b901fee88f.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

Well...that solves the mystery of where the cigarette butts ended up. I suppose back in the day before DNA analysis, there was no use in keeping them. No prints, and they already knew what brand they were. 

It's occurred to me that a big break for Cooper may have come with the July 1973 military records fire in St Louis. Although through the years efforts have been made to restore these records, for many of them they are incomplete. The main aim of the restoration was to ensure vets got their benefits, for example. But fingerprint cards, etc were all with the main files and that fire raged for days, plus having a thousand swimming pools of water dumped on them. 

If Cooper was in the military, but was never arrested and fingerprinted in the USA...there would be no way for the FBI to use military print records to match up against the ones they took from the jet. That is, unless they had a living subject and could get him to agree to a new set of prints. I know that probably not ALL the fingerprint cards were destroyed in the fire, but many of them were. 

These things could be the reason that although the FBI probably ran those prints dozens of times through the NCIC database (FBI print records etc)...they never could come up with a match. Because Cooper didn't HAVE an arrest record. If he had, they probably would have ID'd him by now. 

How bad was the St. Louis fire? How much was destroyed? BAD. See here for details.

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Heard Marty Andrade's interview,,, 

https://www.spreaker.com/user/afterhoursam/after-hours-am-christopher-balzano-haunt

RE: Cooper wanting to go to Mex...

Marty disagreed with my theory that Cooper wanted to go to Mexico... but mischaracterized the argument. He correctly stated the desire to jump ASAP but all that occurred after the negotiations for Reno.

My argument is that Cooper initially wanted to jump South of the US border but when Reno was in play he wanted to jump ASAP..

Cooper initially demanded to go to Mex and no landing in the US for any reason. Why would he make this demand if he knew it would be rejected? He wouldn't.. Cooper believed the plane could make it to Mexico to refuel. Mazatlan was mentioned in docs as a potential fuel stop.

Cooper initially demanded that the airstairs be lowered in flight. He changed that during negotiations with the crew, it isn't clear who instigated it but the crew was trying to get Tina off the plane. Why change his demand? 

Cooper was not dressed for the PNW climate.

Cooper asked for "US" and "American" currency.

Cooper was described as Latin/Mexican appearance and features.

When the Reno landing came into play, Cooper wanted out ASAP.

Cooper gave no heading, his LZ was not planned. It was ad hoc. He did not jump where he had initially planned to.

There is no evidence Mexico was a ruse. 

Everybody still thinks Cooper's initial demand was airstairs down on takeoff, this is 100% false. A game changer. Why change the demand once Reno was in play.. because he didn't want to be on the plane when it landed as that would be where the authorities would be set up. The circumstances changed and Cooper adapted. 

If Cooper jumped where he initially planned (or close) then why did he change his demand when Reno was in play...  it doesn't make sense.

10 minutes ago, Andrade1812 said:

I disagree that I mischarecterized your argument, I just mentioned it as an alternative. It would probably take an entire hour long podcast just to go through your entire theory.

Your statement on the show was correct, the evidence you gave applied after the crew negotiation, Reno was in play and Cooper changed his demand. It is not incompatible with my argument... you didn't actually make an argument against it but your statement suggested to the host Cooper's actions negated my argument. It didn't. It is compatible.

So, everyone listening is left with the impression you refuted my argument with the evidence you gave, it didn't. That is what I mean by mischaracterization.

(edited)

The REAL question is WHY Cooper requested to go to Mexico without any stops in the first place, when it was obvious that Cooper not only knew the workings of a passenger jet fairly well, but was at least familiar with the Puget Sound area from above. He knew the driving time between McChord AFB and SeaTac, for example. That is something only a local would know, in my opinion. And not just a local to Washington state, but someone local to the South King County/North Pierce County area. 

You have to look at his ORIGINAL demand, which on the surface makes no sense. My theory is that Cooper just tossed Mexico out there as a destination just like you would toss a snack to your dog. He knew it couldn't be done, but he didn't care. If he's planning to jump from the aircraft, he doesn't WANT the FBI or any local LEO to KNOW where he's going to jump. When they tell him they can't make Mexico without some refueling, he simply adapts to that, but he's just playing them because he has no intention of staying aboard long anyway, no matter what. 

All these 'negotiations' with Cooper over destinations and refueling are simply a red herring by Cooper. His main goal is to ensure that he can get off the bus without anyone knowing where he did it. In other words, it's all baloney right from the beginning. His one mistake was not knowing about the airstairs-open indicator light up there on Flight Engineer Harold Anderson's control panel. He didn't know about that, and this is what finally gave away the general area where he jumped. It was about the only flaw in his plan. Cooper probably didn't realize either that the stairs would bounce back so hard that a pressure bump might give away his jump point as well. 

All in all, it was a good plan. Without that indicator light and a hard bump on the flight deck, no one would have the slightest idea where Cooper jumped over an area of thousands of square miles. He figured he would be long gone Sally without having to worry about every citizen with a gun or any local cops trying to find him. They wouldn't even know where to start looking. B)

But as it turned out, only an area of maybe twenty or thirty square miles was sufficient. By the time they got anything really organized for a ground search, he was probably on his way home. Or...he reached a phone, hid out for a while, and waited for his ride. 

EDIT: Consider THIS>>>>  If Cooper really intended to go anywhere past Washington state, why in the heck would he don that chute SO quickly after the jet left Seattle? WHY would he concern himself with getting the airstairs down right away after takeoff? Another thing people haven't considered is that Cooper didn't seem to be a psychopath...so HOW in the holy hell did he KNOW that a 727 could land with the airstairs down without killing everybody on board? Somehow he seemed confident they could do that. It's almost like he heard about the tests done at Boeing while they were developing the 727. In some of the tests, the stairs were lowered in flight just to see what would happen. Basically, you have what could be considered a NEW control surface dragging the jet and that could have resulted in the jet inverting or rolling left or right and possibly crashing. To be fair, I don't know if they dragged the stairs on the Boeing tests upon landing. They WOULD have...unless the test jet was equipped with special hydraulics allowing them to be raised and locked in flight. The production models were not so equipped. All of these tests were well-known to anyone in the rank and file at Boeing, since they discuss these things all the time and sometimes results came out in the rank and file newsletters. You can call it scuttlebutt or whatever you wish, but it was the reality of working for Boeing on the line back then. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

No big deal, but I just received a sales report email from Lightning Source. Copies of Blast are now moving well in Germany...and of all places...India? I signed most of our books up for LSI's Global Connect program a while back. Hell, I didn't even know anyone in India CARED about Cooper. I can already see that not only will we have our biggest sales year ever, but financing all those Amazon gift cards for the Cooper Party next year will not be a big deal. 

Greg the Techie Guy will be assisting me on organizing that one. One last Cooper celebration for the Pac NW. It's the least I can do. We are going absolutely all out for this one, and have no illusions. It isn't a convention. It's a party. I also picked up a new generator that should arrive by October 15. We're going to need more cowbell, as they say. And hauling propane tanks for a three day celebration is a lot easier and safer than hauling a bunch of gasoline cans. Couldn't resist the 25% off deal. Be there or be square. 

I want to make an additional comment about this event. When Bryan and his mother were holding all those Cooper parties for all those years, the vast majority of the people who showed up were fans of the case...not active investigators. That means people like me, Bruce S, and folks like that were definitely in the minority. I know because I interviewed a ton of folks for the 2012 Ariel and put them on video. Those people....NOT known names in Cooperland...are what this is all about. However, everyone is welcome to show up even if you've had problems with me personally in the past. No one will be told THEY cannot attend. What we plan to do is shoot out a press release giving the times, the location, some pictures, and the general program about a week prior. Also the Craigslist Event notice on which we are not allowed to charge anyone a dime. I may even run a general ad in the Tacoma News Tribune and the Seattle Times as well. I figure people will be drifting in and out all that weekend. Some folks I know at the Nissan support forum are already planning to show. If you're going to do something like this, might as well go all out. 

After this event, I will be moving to SoCal for good. I will miss the Great Northwest in some ways, but I have a nice house waiting for us down near Oceanside, CA and I am calling it a life as far as full time work. It's time to leave that to the younger folk, as they say. I will be glad. The picture below shows where we're going next June. It was a gift from my wonderful mother-in-law, who gave it to us free just to get us to move nearer to her. Greg asked me if I was going to change the name of AB to AB of Oceanside. No, Greg we're not. ^_^

OurNewPlace.jpg.cef5e34f298576bb1e4f3762da69935e.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

5 hours ago, Andrade1812 said:

I'm sure Joel would love to have you on the show to discuss your theories in depth.

I just wanted to clarify that your statements were correct but not incompatible with my Mex theory. The false impression from the show was that you refuted it by stating Cooper's actions.

45 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

I just wanted to clarify that your statements were correct but not incompatible with my Mex theory. The false impression from the show was that you refuted it by stating Cooper's actions.

There IS no Mex theory. Cooper never had the slightest intention of going to Mexico. The Federales would have picked him up in a quick, fast, New York hurry...probably kept the money for themselves, beat the shit out of him just for putting them to the trouble, and then shipped his butt back to the good old USA. It was a ruse to try and ensure no one would know where he jumped. To give the cops a heads-up on where you REALLY wanted to go would be the supreme definition of foolishness. 

It would have been the same thing in Mexico anyway. Cooper jumps, indicator light flashes OFF for the airstairs for a moment and then goes back on permanently. Bingo. Now they know where you departed the aircraft. Only now, instead of some remote woods in the Pac NW, you come down in a place where everybody and his brother are going to be seeking not only YOUR ass...but all that money you are packing. He wouldn't have gotten very far before being picked up, or possibly even killed. 

And if he REALLY wanted to go to Mexico all along, why didn't he just take the refueling stops and do that? He didn't even wait to cross into Oregon. B)

2 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

The REAL question is WHY Cooper requested to go to Mexico without any stops in the first place, when it was obvious that Cooper not only knew the workings of a passenger jet fairly well, but was at least familiar with the Puget Sound area from above. He knew the driving time between McChord AFB and SeaTac, for example. That is something only a local would know, in my opinion. And not just a local to Washington state, but someone local to the South King County/North Pierce County area. 

You have to look at his ORIGINAL demand, which on the surface makes no sense. My theory is that Cooper just tossed Mexico out there as a destination just like you would toss a snack to your dog. He knew it couldn't be done, but he didn't care. If he's planning to jump from the aircraft, he doesn't WANT the FBI or any local LEO to KNOW where he's going to jump. When they tell him they can't make Mexico without some refueling, he simply adapts to that, but he's just playing them because he has no intention of staying aboard long anyway, no matter what. 

The only reason he demanded Mex nonstop in US was because he thought it was possible..  No way he makes a demand that he knows is impossible and would be 100% rejected by the pilots.

If he just wanted the plane heading South he didn't have to demand nonstop in US.. he could have picked many southern US cities.

The tell is that he changed his demand once landing in Reno was in play. He adapted and wanted out ASAP.. 

Tina claimed the hijacker put on the backpack after the passengers left but before the other stews left...

Flo stated she heard Mexico, San Francisco and Phoenix discussed.. then the hijacker put on the backpack..

It is fuzzy but seems to indicate Cooper put on the back pack during the destination negotiations with the crew. Reno wasn't confirmed yet but a landing in the US was.

4 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

There IS no Mex theory. Cooper never had the slightest intention of going to Mexico. The Federales would have picked him up in a quick, fast, New York hurry...probably kept the money for themselves, beat the shit out of him just for putting them to the trouble, and then shipped his butt back to the good old USA. It was a ruse to try and ensure no one would know where he jumped. To give the cops a heads-up on where you REALLY wanted to go would be the supreme definition of foolishness. 

It would have been the same thing in Mexico anyway. Cooper jumps, indicator light flashes OFF for the airstairs for a moment and then goes back on permanently. Bingo. Now they know where you departed the aircraft. Only now, instead of some remote woods in the Pac NW, you come down in a place where everybody and his brother are going to be seeking not only YOUR ass...but all that money you are packing. He wouldn't have gotten very far before being picked up, or possibly even killed. 

And if he REALLY wanted to go to Mexico all along, why didn't he just take the refueling stops and do that? He didn't even wait to cross into Oregon. B)

There is a MEX theory, mine... and the FBI considered a Mexican connection.

There is no evidence for a ruse that is just conjecture.

Cooper was Latin/Mexican.. the elephant in the room everybody conveniently ignores..

He demanded NO US stops for a reason.., he didn't want to be on the plane when it landed. Being on the plane for a landing with the money and no passengers is a big risk.