47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Your remark was uncalled for. I did not address you. That is why you and Blevins interchanged - you would poke at him and rile his defenses and it ended up badly and with multiple untasteful posting.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

mrshutter45

Jo, I think if you would take the time to get Duane's actual rap sheet. a lot of answers could be found on locating where he was. according to the FBI he was arrested some 26 times. I'm thinking you are scared to find out where he was during those times.

it seems he was in trouble in between being in prison with that many arrests. I find it hard for him to have had the time to do the things that take most people a full free life span to achieve.

We did explore his rap sheet and the rap sheet as you know did NOT explain his detailed knowledge of the WA and OR area! Ask yourself WHY before you diss the things I tell?

When he was free he roamed - as no one hired ex-cons in the day and there were no programs to help them with jobs. They were basically homeless. The story about WA is REAL and NOT one word of it is composed or falsified in any way. It is incomprehensive he would or could have invented a past with details like he recounted in WA in 1979...he did live and work in WA - but when and under what names I know not. If you wish to disprove it - then go for it.

We have explored the rap sheet in this thread, but NONE of it accounts for Duane's knowledge of the area - SO how did he acquire and when did he acquire this intense knowledge of the area? Was it while he was encarcerated? I think part of it was as a participant in some kind of program to use man power or to rehab these young men...but, when and where? You explain it - I can't!
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

exploring his rap sheet? what does that mean. if you had this you would know certain events such as what years he was in Ohio. possibly events from 1963 till Jefferson. it should have been one of the first things you did once you found out his background.

perhaps enough was there to convince the FBI he wasn't Cooper. I don't know because I haven't seen it. if you had his rap sheet. this means his entire criminal history. you wouldn't be asking the questions that you continue to ask. they would be on the sheet from his first arrest, prison terms and his last conflict with the Law.

I have helped you in the past and asked for nothing in return. I'm simply stating things as I see them. I will continue to help you when you need it. I don't have a problem with that. I hope you understand I'm not picking on you either.

" as no one hired ex-cons in the day"

that still continues today Jo. there is no such thing as "Time Served" nothing is forgotten.
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

In 1953 the FBI coordinated a collection of 10s and 20s for a 600K ransom demand. It took 80 people working overtime to count and bundle the bills and 12 federal reserve banks to supply the currency.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1907&dat=19531009&id=nGsrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=rdkEAAAAIBAJ&pg=828,1588250

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

In 1953 the FBI coordinated a collection of 10s and 20s for a 600K ransom demand. It took 80 people working overtime to count and bundle the bills and 12 federal reserve banks to supply the currency.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1907&dat=19531009&id=nGsrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=rdkEAAAAIBAJ&pg=828,1588250

seems a little extreme. that's only $7500 each person. Government jobs. you gotta love'm B|
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

if you are talking about the area I have circled on the photo provided, it's not a rubber band. it's part of the oval where the pic of the prez is. this photo has bothered me for a while.

Looking at a better picture you are probably right.

What I like about the picture, it seems to show a bundle of money
stuck together and undisturbed. The picture was taken within just
a few days of the money find. (maybe a day or so after)

I still think the bill on top could be the top or bottom bill, still bundled until the rubberband fell away when touched.

I was able to figure out the serial number even though Page 30 (the page it should be on) is not listed at the FBI vault.

The Serial number is L55 479 078B (1963A)

What is even more interesting.....From Gray's book...

"Himmelsbach picks up a packet of bills. He reads the series number.
"1963", it reads.
He writes down the serial number
"55376548"

It seems the Packet/Bundle? of bills would be stuck together like
the Oregonian pic shows and he could only read the outer SN.

The Serial Number on top of Ralph's packet is L55 376 548B (1963A)
The Serial Number from the Oregonian pic is. L55 459 079B (1963A)

There are 10,000 serial numbers and these two outer bundle numbers are probably within 60 serial numbers of each other on the list. I need to verify when I find page 30.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT????

this bundle of bills always makes me wonder. if you look carefully at the Federal Reserve stamp (L) it appears to have a crease in it. not a tear. everything is offset lettering wise at the top as if force was put on the bundle while wet. I know the Ingram's tried to clean them, but, did they take them apart?

worse case. the bills are soaking wet and the bulldozer pushes them down the beach. what would happen to them. they should bunch up, or be found "wadded up" as the FBI claimed. it also looks like they were cut by something dull. just doesn't look like deterioration, I don't know. shooting in the dark on this one. the area around the Presidents head is really out of form. the oval is way out of shape. the heads are not lining up. just seems this bundle has been through more than just lying around if you ask me? just some thoughts....

I know the Ingram's tried to clean them, but, did they take them apart?

From what I've read, many of the bills were stuck to each other. So I don't think the Ingrams could have taken them apart too much.

Attached is the front page article from the Oregonian on Feb 13, 1980.

You can see the Ingrams sitting in front of the bills with RH standing behind them.

The money is described as 3 bundles which contained 12 packets of money. Maybe they got that idea from looking at the money layout
on the table.

Picture isn't the best.

Article attached.

I also found this 2006 article about Brian Ingram selling the money. It appears he only has 25 bills that had readable serial numbers.
No mention of selling other bills before then.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.arktimes.com/binary/f0bd/2006_1-24_14-37-2-697.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/mena-man-to-sell-db-cooper-cash/Content?oid%3D863980&h=150&w=200&sz=11&tbnid=ac9rUEgLU8YYUM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=95&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcooper%2Bmoney%2Bingram%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=cooper+money+ingram&usg=__CyBLrSIFIV6EPRqQ3SktnlIIG6A=&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kE8hUrKVC_TOsASs34HoDg&ved=0CDIQ9QEwBg

Ingram is selling the entirety of the bills with readable serial numbers, which includes only 15 “whole bills,” which are deteriorated around the edges, and 10 “half-bills,” which are further gone. He will keep the rest of the money, which amounts to scraps of paper resembling confetti.

here is a better pic....most of the close ups, if not all of them are from this table. some pics were before they put the second layer of plastic over them.

mrshutter45

this bundle of bills always makes me wonder. if you look carefully at the Federal Reserve stamp (L) it appears to have a crease in it. not a tear. everything is offset lettering wise at the top as if force was put on the bundle while wet. I know the Ingram's tried to clean them, but, did they take them apart?

worse case. the bills are soaking wet and the bulldozer pushes them down the beach. what would happen to them. they should bunch up, or be found "wadded up" as the FBI claimed. it also looks like they were cut by something dull. just doesn't look like deterioration, I don't know. shooting in the dark on this one. the area around the Presidents head is really out of form. the oval is way out of shape. the heads are not lining up. just seems this bundle has been through more than just lying around if you ask me? just some thoughts....

I can imagine a lot of things.

testxyz

if you are talking about the area I have circled on the photo provided, it's not a rubber band. it's part of the oval where the pic of the prez is. this photo has bothered me for a while.

I still think the bill on top could be the top or bottom bill, still bundled until the rubberband fell away when touched.

I was able to figure out the serial number even though Page 30 (the page it should be on) is not listed at the FBI vault.

***"Himmelsbach picks up a packet of bills. He reads the series number.
"1963", it reads.
"55376548"

There are 10,000 serial numbers and these two outer bundle numbers are probably within 60 serial numbers of each other on the list. I need to verify when I find page 30.

Here's a better shot of that band!

testxyz

"Himmelsbach picks up a packet of bills. He reads the series number.
"1963", it reads.
"55376548"

I'm confused...in one paragraph you say "The Serial number is L55 479 078B (1963A)"
then you say "The Serial Number from the Oregonian pic is L55 459 079B (1963A)"

Is the last one a typo?

In Tosaw's book, the numbers are listed in order and those that you list L55 479 078B 63A and L55 376548B 63A are actually only 12 bills apart. There is no L55 459 079B (1963A).

Regardless,
To me, I'm just not seeing a cluster here - and since there is no way to know that the numbers were listed as bundled it's hard to see any real conclusion to be drawn based on the numbers we're seeing.

I don't know but I'm betting random means random and someone sorted this list after the fact.

But.....even though I'm not sure that this is not a wild goose chase..:) here is another number from the heritage website:
L57 110 577A 69

Also - here is your list as compared to Tosaw's list. A couple of corrections, added years, changed last 8 in some numbers to B. Of course you could be right and Tosaw's list is wrong...just fwiw...:)
E41 933 578A = E41 933 578A 69

F07 553 334A 691 = F07 553 334A 69

H27 412 928A 63A = H27 412 938A 63A

J12 657 135A = J12 657 135A 69

L01 701 113A 69 = L01 781 113A 69

L02 882 1118 63A = L02 882 111B 63A
L04 461 895? 63A = L04 461 895* 63A (Star note?)

L38 138 140A 60 = L38 138 140A 69

L51 236 3778 63A = L51 236 377B 63A

L55 376 548B = L55 376 548B 63A

L59 439 4????? = DON'T SEE L59 439

L72 525 8388 63A = L72 525 838B 63A

bills with astericks from here...http://www.moneyfactory.gov/starnotes.html

Star Notes

When an imperfect note is detected during the manufacturing process after the serial number has been overprinted, it must be replaced with a new note. A "star" note is used to replace the imperfect note. Reusing that exact serial number to replace the imperfect note is costly and time consuming. The "star" note has its own special serial number followed by a star in place of a suffix letter.
The serial number of the imperfect note that was removed is not used again in the same numbering sequence.

eta - fixed L01 Typo
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

I'm confused...in one paragraph you say "The Serial number is L55 479 078B (1963A)"

Is the last one a typo?

In Tosaw's book, the numbers are listed in order and those that you list L55 479 078B 63A and L55 376548B 63A are actually only 12 bills apart. There is no L55 459 079B (1963A).

L55 479 078B 63A is CORRECT!.....Thanks for looking!

12 bills apart is by far the closest of the thirty serial numbers I've come up with.

If each of the two L55 bills was on top of a bundle, that represents 4K of the 6K Tena Bar money. I would think there is some significance to it.

There is some rhyme or reason to the importance of the top or bottom bills for Bank bundle management. Tom Kaye says the microfilm show stop/start serial numbers on each bundle.

Maybe the bank stores the bundles in alpha-numeric order based on the top bill only. While the internal bills are random. Like they chose a run of L55 bills (or a run from page 30 that includes the two L55 bills) to put on the top of each bundle.

testxyz

Is the last one a typo?

12 bills apart is by far the closest of the thirty serial numbers I've come up with.

If each of the two L55 bills was on top of a bundle, that represents 4K of the 6K Tena Bar money. I would think there is some significance to it.

Maybe there is some rhyme or reason to the importance the top or bottom bills for Bank bundle management. Tom Kaye says the microfilm show stop/start serial numbers on each bundle.

Maybe the bank stores the bundles in alpha-numeric order based on the top bill only. While the internal bills are random. Like they chose a run of L55 bills (or a run from page 30 that includes the two L55 bills) to put on the top of each bundle.

Maybe maybe maybe ...

This case is full of people doing work-arounds and guessing and
maybe's. Including the FBI!

It's time to close this case as a monumentally botched job.
This case wouldnt make it to first base (in any Court!) due to
primary evidence being lost, alone. Keeping this case open is
nothing but a persistent embarrassment.

The canister and film record being lost IS the end of the story.
Everything else is conjecture.

The Cooper case isn't a mystery. It's a GIANT SCREWUP!

testxyz

Is the last one a typo?

Maybe there is some rhyme or reason to the importance the top or bottom bills for Bank bundle management. Tom Kaye says the microfilm show stop/start serial numbers on each bundle.

My only problem with the L55s being the beginning or end of a bundle - seems like there would be either no spread between the numbers or a 99 bill spread between them. plus just can't get around the wider distribution of the other numbers.

I'm not seeing your top bill scenario - what would be the point in that? But you might be right that the bills could be generally random but with small runs of "consecutive" (such as it is) listed numbers throughout - especially with the L's because the L's make up approx 75% of the bills - maybe a little more. (That's a rough guess based on flipping through pages. I did not count all of the columns). ;):)
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

georger

Maybe maybe maybe ...

This case is full of people doing work-arounds and guessing and
maybe's. Including the FBI!

primary evidence being lost, alone. Keeping this case open is
nothing but a persistent embarrassment.

The canister and film record being lost IS the end of the story.
Everything else is conjecture.

The Cooper case isn't a mystery. It's a GIANT SCREWUP!

I'm the never say die type - try to give em the benefit of the doubt - that they might just be holding something back - but I don't know Georger........I'm sorta thinking you may be on to something.... :)

My only problem with the L55s being the beginning or end of a bundle - seems like there would be either no spread between the numbers or a 99 bill spread between them. plus just can't get around the wider distribution of the other numbers.

If we are not on the same page...this is What i'm saying.....

Imagine the bank had 100 stacks of 20's with 99 random bills in each stack.

They also have 100 index bills in alpha-numeric order set aside. As they bundle or wrap the bills, each of the stacks get 1 of the index bills on top.

testxyz

They also have 100 index bills in alpha-numeric order set aside. As they bundle or wrap the bills, each of the stacks get 1 of the index bills on top.

I got that - I just don't know why they would do that if the rest of the bills were random. Why not just record the bill that is randomly on top of each bundle and then sort them alpha-numerically? There's your index.

I'm just not seeing the benefit behind taking the time to count out 99 bills in each stack so I can put a random bill on top that I have pre-selected to be my index. Maybe if the bills were consecutive, but they were not. Plus if I took the time to do this at all I wouldn't start from the middle of the list of bills. I'd start with the "A"s......:)
But hey, not saying it couldn't have happened that way.... I imagine banks are full of folks that stay up at night trying to figure out the best way to organize something. :)

smokin99

I got that - I just don't know why they would do that if the rest of the bills were random. Why not just record the bill that is randomly on top of each bundle and then sort them alpha-numerically? There's your index.

I'm just not seeing the benefit behind taking the time to count out 99 bills in each stack so I can put a random bill on top that I have pre-selected to be my index. Maybe if the bills were consecutive, but they were not. Plus if I took the time to do this at all I wouldn't start from the middle of the list of bills. I'd start with the "A"s......:)
But hey, not saying it couldn't have happened that way.... I imagine banks are full of folks that stay up at night trying to figure out the best way to organize something. :)

The fact the Recordax had a start-stop option indicates to me it
operated in a certain way and was controlable/programable to
some extent, and the filming-recording aspect was simply part
of a larger counting-sorting machine ??? Sounds like it was a counting-bundling machine that may have even supplied paper straps around bundles. Just a dumb counter-bundling machine
with a film recorder.

Im only guessing.

primary evidence being lost, alone.

It's hard to believe the FBI would have lost primary evidence for one of their most pubilized cases ever.

Having said that....

The only physical proof we see of a Cooper money list is the alpha-numeric list. The Tena Bar money is the only physical evidence of the Cooper bills and they are bundled randomly. Possibly suggesting....you know what I mean.

If the bills were randomly bundled by the bank, I have a hard time believing the FBI would lose? the Bank's start/stop control list or a copy of the control list. If they don't have a control list there is no way to verify the bank bundling sequence of the money found at Tena's Bar. Eliminating the possibilty of....you know what I mean.

TomKaye

More info:

There was a film canister with the film inside that was given to the FBI days after the event. The FBI had to determine which of the bills remained and which were given to Cooper. The canister contained the list of serial numbers in order PLUS a list of the start and stop serial numbers for each bundle. At the end of the film was a list of the start and stop numbers for each bundle that was left in the bank. There were 100 bills exactly per bundle.

The FBI never did any sorting of the bills what so ever from the transcripts. The bank people brought the money to Sea-Tac where the FBI then took it on the plane.

Tom

If "in-order" refers to alpha-numeric and the FBI was able to determine which serial numbers were left in the bank, then seems like there would also have been a list of serial numbers by bundle - not just the start and stop numbers.
Barring that, then someone had to go through each bundle that was left at the bank and check off the bills left against the master list.
The other alternative is that the alpha-numeric list was also the way in which they were bundled.

Did the bank have the resources to record and sort the bills by serial number using any other means except manually? I don't know - still skeptical that someone at a bank went through and manually sorted 12,500 bills into alpha-numeric order by serial number -- it would be hard enough to go through and list all of the serial numbers, plus that would kind of contradict that "random" word.

Sure would be nice to have that film or to know more about the way banks generally handled contingency money like this. I recently read that banks started taking out insurance against the potential kidnapping of their key people in early 70s - so I don't doubt that they had funds in place for ransom money.

Jo's emails aren't the only things that go "poof" in this case. You do have to start wondering about the stuff that folks say is missing. :S:(

testxyz

primary evidence being lost, alone.

It's hard to believe the FBI would have lost primary evidence for one of their most pubilized cases ever.

Having said that....

The only physical proof we see of a Cooper money list is the alpha-numeric list. The Tena Bar money is the only physical evidence of the Cooper bills and they are bundled randomly. Possibly suggesting....you know what I mean.

If the bills were randomly bundled by the bank, I have a hard time believing the FBI would lose? the Bank's start/stop control list or a copy of the control list. If they don't have a control list there is no way to verify the bank bundling sequence of the money found at Tena's Bar. Eliminating the possibilty of....you know what I mean.

LOL...Testy - just what are you trying to say?? That after pondering for days over serial numbers, we are right back where we started from - without a clue? :D

I feel your pain - unfortunately, this case is basically full of non-verifiable stuff. Parachutes, money, flight plans, descriptions, evidence, memories...I could go on....But nothing goes to waste. In 3 years someone else will say "what about the serial numbers on the Ingram money?"....and someone else will say "read the thread - Testxyz researched that a long time ago" :)
All I know is Carr said the butts are missing on here, and now it appears, per Carr via Kaye, that the money list on microfilm is also missing. So they are either holding out or they too are "clueless". :)

smokin99

***More info:

There was a film canister with the film inside that was given to the FBI days after the event. The FBI had to determine which of the bills remained and which were given to Cooper. The canister contained the list of serial numbers in order PLUS a list of the start and stop serial numbers for each bundle. At the end of the film was a list of the start and stop numbers for each bundle that was left in the bank. There were 100 bills exactly per bundle.

The FBI never did any sorting of the bills what so ever from the transcripts. The bank people brought the money to Sea-Tac where the FBI then took it on the plane.

Tom

If "in-order" refers to alpha-numeric and the FBI was able to determine which serial numbers were left in the bank, :S:(

That Tom could say this with a straight face is screwy on its face.

Since when does the Seattle FBI do the "accounting" for the
Sea First Bank!?

Telling the bank how many of its bills were used, and not used,
months later !!!?

This is another propeller story!

Moreover - there is another element of this tale I can't divulge
that makes this even crazier! This contagion of privilege and
"stupid" must be deep and I am not just making hay here at
Tom's or anyone's expense. This is plain stupid-ridiculous
with a major disconnect in how the world works.

Fact is: the FBI apparently doesn't want to talk about this,
and apparently Tom doesn't either. Tom says the FBI has taken
a 'hit' because of Marla and Blevins. Major hit>wont talk>
missing canister> .....
Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

What's up Doc! Yibbiddy Yibbiddy Yibbiddy. Is there anybody
home in there? :S:S:S

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you comin home, Dad, I don't know when,
But we'll get together then,
You know we'll have a good time then.

How many players are on the board here? Players please identify!
The game will be suspended until Marla and Bevins are found?
Well will announce it through Tom Kaye or Jerry Thomas!

:D

georger

This is another propeller story!

Very sad.....

I am just the messenger here. Everything I am telling you about this subject comes from text in the archive. To clarify, when I said "in order" that means the bills were in random order stacks, the microfilm list showed those random serial numbers in-the-order they were stacked in the bundles. The random serial numbers on the top and bottom bills was recorded so it could be determined where in the list each individual stack started and stopped. And it was described in detail that the FBI had to sort through the numbers to figure out the true list.

Tom