47 47
quade

DB Cooper

testxyz

It appears the bank unwrapped all the bills, then shuffled and mixed all
of them as much as they could, then put rubberbands on them.

Tena bar money distribution chart attached.

Gimme A Break! Lives depended on that money getting to that plane. The FBI nor anyone else took TIME OUT to randomize the serial numbers on the money....unless it was done when the money was set aside for such a incident. Common sense is NOT an attribute of the new Computer Geek world. It was 1971 not 2014.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

EVickiW

nice pics! you can clearly read the gauges. appears they took the last row of seats out.

here is a picture of the team put together for the testing.

Added: an email from a Northwest employee.....WSHS

WSHS also has a PDF...Larry Carr Dropzone threads....81 pages B|

Re: Email stating "Hal Mount, the agent who checked him in"

I might be mistaken but I believe the following to be accurate based on historical and recent accounts...

Hal "Williams", was the gate agent, not the ticket agent. The ticket agent was Dennis Lysne.

Not calling anyone out - I realize that it's been a long time and names can be forgotten ....and lots of people think Hal Williams was the ticket agent. From everything that I've read, he was not.

According to this article, Hall Williams was the Ticket Agent.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=128759;

It says he was the "ticket agent at the gate". I think that's the person that checks/takes the boarding passes or tickets at the gate. But my understanding is the one that sold the ticket (and probably wrote the name) was Dennis Lysne. I will post a source if I get a chance tonight.

I found these postings about Lynse from the first thread. JackWilson scribes a page from Himmelsbach's book. See url.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2945865#2945865

Thanks. I also found two Oregonian articles that mentions Lysne, one from 1973 and one from 1986. Both articles say he was the ticket agent.
I think in the case of the title "ticket agent" - yeah it's probably semantics - they are both agents and both handle the tickets and, hey - I'm not entirely sure that I would bet the farm on a description from either since there was really no reason for either to remember one passenger out of how many they see in the course of a day?? On the other hand, and if my memory serves, they both said they noticed him and remembered certain characteristics about him that day. So maybe they did.

That said, gate agent vs ticket agent can be an important distinction when you "possibly" have someone claiming that the handwriting on the ticket has been compared against the agent's handwriting. Cause if he's talking about Hal Williams - he might need to start over. Now to be fair, Grey Cop hasn't clarified his post yet so maybe I'm reading too much into his post. :)
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

This is an interesting article from 1972. Donald Murphy conned a Newsweek reporter that he was DB Cooper. The reporter had to pay 30K for the interview.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=9KFYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kPgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7413,4132542&dq=donald+murphy+cooper&hl=en

Evidently the FBI distributed a "Random List" of all Cooper serial numbers throughout the country in Dec of 1971.

Donald Murphy superimposed 3 Cooper serial numbers on 3 twenty dollar bills and xerox it. He show the xerox to the reporter as proof.

Picture of Fake Cooper bills attached...

testxyz

they were in a rush. Rush means "hurry", means "late and running
out of time to get the money to the airport

I went back and read the Ckret comment again and your right.

I'm up to 17 serial numbers and a odd pattern has developed.

My take from Gray book is the bank stored the bills in $2000 bundles with paper wraps.

It would seem logical to presume the bank bundled the bills in Alpha-Numeric order as listed on the microfiche. Afterall this money was set aside for an occassion like a hijacking.

Having said that.....the 17 serial numbers I have come across
are found in 17 different bundles, if they were once arrange alpha-numerically like I think.

17 different serial numbers from 17 different bundles out of 100 bundles.

If you can find proof it might be interesting. Your chance of
finding proof is zero.

The bank did not unwrap all bundles to mix them up ... the bundes were unwrapped to photo copy each bill. No way of knowing if there was an order implicit. Ckret did make a point of saying each bundle contained randoms serial numbers. Again he spoke with bank people still alive. That he had to talk to bank people implies there are no FBI records, he found.

Lets say you distribution is correct. That would mean the Ingram
find represents bills from 17 or more separate bundles! That
would imply someone resorted through all of the money and
made new bundles! That would imply the new resorted bundles
were lost or planted later. Do I have your chain of logic correct?

smokin99

I'm up to 18 serial numbers and a odd pattern has developed.

My take from Gray book is the bank stored the bills in $2000 bundles with paper wraps.

It would seem logical to presume the bank bundled the bills in Alpha-Numeric order as listed on the microfiche. Afterall this money was set aside for an occassion like a hijacking.

Having said that.....the 18 serial numbers I have come across
are found in 18 different bundles, if they were once arrange alpha-numerically like I think.

18 different serial numbers from 18 different bundles out of 100 bundles.

It appears they unwrapped all the bills then shuffled and mixed all

It would be just as likely, however, that the numbers on the list were sorted later by one of those FBI secretaries that now wishes he/she'd never bitched about having to redact all day. :)

Ckret never sad who made the list - bank or FBI - or how the list was made after the bills were each photocopied.

testxyz

This is an interesting article from 1972. Donald Murphy conned a Newsweek reporter that he was DB Cooper. The reporter had to pay 30K for the interview.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=9KFYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kPgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7413,4132542&dq=donald+murphy+cooper&hl=en

Evidently the FBI distributed a "Random List" of all Cooper serial numbers throughout the country in Dec of 1971.

Donald Murphy superimposed 3 Cooper serial numbers on 3 twenty dollar bills and xerox it. He show the xerox to the reporter as proof.

Picture of Fake Cooper bills attached...

Yes and at least one newspaper editorial in the day wondered if that wasn't the best way to beat the system - get convicted and serve probation or a couple of years for the lesser fraud crime reasoning they would have a heck of a time coming back on you for the real crime -- since you had already been convicted of basically what amounts to making a false confession of that crime. :)
Yep - kinda hard to actually write all that, but you get my drift. :)
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

testxyz

The FBI nor anyone else took TIME OUT to randomize the serial numbers on the money..

The randomization, because they were in a hurry, does not make sense. Hurried bankers know how to bundle money properly.

So prove your claim.

Nobody said hurry was the sole cause.

Your contention that he Ingram find represents bills from at least 17 previously packed and recorded bundles ... requires proof!

If what you are saying is true that would be a BIG revelation ...
as you very well know.

Has this been posted before?
Mr. Shutter - this isn't you, is it?

Click on the Vector 23 hyperlink in the middle of the page - not the video ad. :)
http://mdkelleher.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/db-cooper-investigation/vector-23/

As Alice and Florence hesitated to leave Tina behind, Cooper offered them the change from his pockets and after they shook their heads - the said ''Wait a second" at that time he pulled out 2 (two) packets and said "here, take these. I don't want them." They refused and did not think about the packets having finger prints on them.

So now we have 2 packets - and believe you me I believe this story far more than anything anyone has said because the person who wrote this accounting actually inteviewed the women.

When the refueling kink happened Cooper said they were stalling and started to hit his fist against his hand and in a rage. When I was re-reading this book for the first time - I wondered why I had not re-read it before. Weber did that same damn thing when he was impatient - telling me to "come on - hurry it up" - he would not be shouting or angry - just wanting me to speed things up....so we could get on the road. According to Tina Cooper was hysterical and threatening to blow up the plane because the refueling truck had pulled away.

He did NOT calm down until another truck started to hook up. The crew was upset and thought it was a stall themselves.

Cooper did NOT want stops in SanFrancisco or LosAngeles - claiming they were too large.

GOD I wish had reread this book yrs and yrs ago. Hell - San Francisco and Los Angeles are the last 2 places Cooper wanted to be. Duane Weber had STRONG TIES to both areas (besides his record) SanFrancisco and LosAngles. He had a sister living in Modesto and a brother there and the area his parents lived and died in. LAST place he wanted to land!

I will remind you guys that Cooper asked the lights in the cabin be turned out by Tina before she went forward. Well, we know why he wanted the lights out! At 8:04 the crew felt a slight movement. This was 28 minutes after takeoff.

At that time the crew wanted to know if Cooper was still there. He answered 'Everything is fine now".

8:13 the crew felt a burst of pressure in their ears.

Ckret said...

"It is my understanding the money was wraped in rubber bands, no paper bands. the money was put together in different bill counts so it looked as if it was put together in a hurry."

When I read different bill counts...I think some Bundles might have 90 bills, some might have 101 bills.

Does he mean Serial Numbers?

Even with different bill counts, I would expect the majority of the Tena Bar money serial numbers to be grouped into 3 different main bundles .....with a few 20's elsewhere. If they started with Alpha-Numeric bundling.

If the FBI photographed the money, might be able to tell how the money was arranged from the photographs.

skyjack71

Both had a reason to remember Cooper. He was the last ticket sold and the last one to board.

I'm not saying they did not remember him. Maybe they did. Maybe he gave off a certain hijacker smell.

But last ticket sold and last to board is not a reason to remember someone.

First, if you are a ticket seller, you have no way of knowing that is the last ticket that you will sell so why would that even register? You would just assume that he is one of many. Was this the only flight out of the airport that the ticket agent might have been processing? I doubt it.
Additionally, how do you know that Cooper's was the last ticket sold. I don't remember reading that, but I haven't read everything, that's for sure. :)
As for being the last one to board.....Picture in your mind all of the gate attendants that you have walked past on your way down the gangplank or whatever they call it.
Come on - do you really think that they would be able to pick you out of a honest lineup 6- 12 hours later. Most especially on the eve of a holiday when that agent probably just wants to get home so he could finish doing the #$%%%& grocery shopping for the wife.

Not saying they didn't remember Cooper - there's no way for us to know the particulars of that night that might have made Cooper stick out of the crowd for both of these guys.

I'm just saying that the only alternative is to take them at their word - there is nothing in the scenario or logistics of this particular episode that makes it more likely that they would remember one passenger out of many.

georger

Does ANYONE have knowledge of the copying equipment in 1971. NO WAY could they have copied all of those bills after the demand was made for 20's and 200K. There was over 200K sitting there waiting for something just like this to happen. In fact it was just a little over 200K sitting in that vault - wonder if Cooper knew this? Well, it makes sense - at least to me.

The bank did not copy or repack those bills - time was important. The money WAS there for just such and event! All the authorities had to do was go get it after one of 2 bank clerks fumbled over the unlocking of the safe

For yrs I have read this stuff about the money being copied after Cooper made his demands knowing it just was NOT possible in 1971 for such a machine to be available at the location of the money. There was more than 200k on hand - all they had to do was check the numbers of the remaining monies to compile the numbers on the SKYJACK bills..

smokin99

Has this been posted before?
Mr. Shutter - this isn't you, is it?

Click on the Vector 23 hyperlink in the middle of the page - not the video ad. :)
http://mdkelleher.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/db-cooper-investigation/vector-23/

Here are a few other blog articles from Michael D. Kelleher from his Crows Dream web page.

hmmmmmmnnnn.... Kelleher presented a PowerPoint presentation and case overview to investigators involved in the Cooper investigation? http://mdkelleher.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/db-cooper-investigation/

http://mdkelleher.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/excerpt-from-vector-23-the-db-cooper-tapes/

Melvin Luther Wilson - Missing Person since September 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QLnFvk8Fs

skyjack71

Does ANYONE have knowledge of the copying equipment in 1971. NO WAY could they have copied all of those bills after the demand was made for 20's and 200K. There was over 200K sitting there waiting for something just like this to happen. In fact it was just a little over 200K sitting in that vault - wonder if Cooper knew this? Well, it makes sense - at least to me.

The bank did not copy or repack those bills - time was important. The money WAS there for just such and event! All the authorities had to do was go get it after one of 2 bank clerks fumbled over the unlocking of the safe

For yrs I have read this stuff about the money being copied after Cooper made his demands knowing it just was NOT possible in 1971 for such a machine to be available at the location of the money. There was more than 200k on hand - all they had to do was check the numbers of the remaining monies to compile the numbers on the SKYJACK bills..

I would have to go back and look this up, but what I remember from several accounts is that bills were on ready and all they had to do was copy them. One account was that the bank had $240000 set aside, and they got 200,000, but I don't remember where that came from. So might be myth.

ANYWAY.... it's not like they had to copy them one at a time. 1970s was in the day of keypunch and machines that could copy a lot of cards at one go. I know that we have a lot more technology now, but it's not like they were having to write down the numbers down with quill and sheep's blood, for crying out loud. :)

Not saying they didn't remember Cooper - there's no way for us to know the particulars of that night that might have made Cooper stick out of the crowd for both of these guys.

I'm just saying that the only alternative is to take them at their word - there is nothing in the scenario or logistics of this particular episode that makes it more likely that they would remember one passenger out of many.

Some flights going out of Vancouver that after noon were only at 1/2 capacity for some reason. I do know one said he had on a black suit and another said a brown suit - so they probably did pay a lot of attention.

When Cooper was in the boarding area - he was the last to board. Who ever that was remembered because he was holding back on boarding. I don't remember where I read this - but, it was in some of the physical things I read - articles, books or magazines. Of course when an FBI agent comes to talk to you - you at least would try to remember.

Like everyone else I forget which agent sold the ticket and who was in the boarding area....after 17 yrs one would think I would know this. After all these yrs - from 1996 to now - the only book I have read over multiple time was Gunthers book - the one that is 98% fiction.

That book is how I found out D.B.Cooper actually gave his name as Dan Cooper. That was the night the lights came on May 25th 1996.

Had I not have read Gunther's book, after a friend suggested Duane might be D.B.Cooper I would have never have understood his confession in the hospital 14 months before. My relating to a friend - my husbands illness and death bed confession. I didn't have a clue when Duane told me 'I'm Dan Coooooper " - meant nothing to me!

I would have to go back and look this up, but what I remember from several accounts is that bills were on ready and all they had to do was copy them. One account was that the bank had $240000 set aside, and they got 200,000, but I don't remember where that came from. So might be myth.

That was Tosaw's book and the amount was just under 240K - NOT MYTH - completely fact. The author was an attorney. His book was one of the better books and the only one in which the author personally spent a lot of time interviewing the individuals - one of which is Tina. This is the only writer I know she actual co-operated with and spent time with.

He also gave the most extensive interview with Mitchell that has ever been given. Mitchell sat the closest to Cooper and did NOT move until the money transactions took place. Mitchell is the one who noted something hanging out from under Cooper pants leg - whatever it was stood out from his pants and shoes. Thick socks or long underwear was suggested....must have been quiet obvious for an 18 yr old to remember it.

They did NOT have long to get the money - and have you ever tried to copy even on todays equipment - dollar bills (both sides). The money was already recorded - waiting to be picked up.
I do not know who thinks the money had to have serial numbers in a specific order to be traced.

he exercise that has been going on seems like a diversive action - it make no sense to me, but then I make no sense to others. If all the serial number had been recorded before hand - all they had to do was check the one left - around 38K and the other #'s on the file would be the Cooper numbers. At least if I worked for the government - that is the way I would have done it!

;)Government always does thing back assward! They take days to do what clerks in other occcupation making minimum wage have to do in 8 hrs.

;)Yea, I had to get that remark in!

smokin99

ANYWAY.... it's not like they had to copy them one at a time. 1970s was in the day of keypunch and machines that could copy a lot of cards at one go. I know that we have a lot more technology now, but it's not like they were having to write down the numbers down with quill and sheep's blood, for crying out loud. :)
My recollection is several banks contributed, money was taken
to some location (FBI office?) to be michrofiched, the bills
bundled and bagged. Ckret said serial #s were random in each
bundle and each contained roughly $2000.

If bundles were made immediately after michrofiche then bundles
should reflect to some extent the ordering on the micofiche.

I have always assumed the rubber bands in the Ingram find
demarcated at least two bundles, or portions of 4-5 bundles?
If it turned out the Ingram bills represent bills from 17+ disparate
bundles ... that would be new.

PS: The microfiching and grouping of bills into bundles with
rubber bands, was done at the bank, because, it was the bank
employee who did the grouping and banding that Ckret called
when a dispute over paper straps vs. rubber bands came up.

Ckret called Brian and asked him to confirm 'rubber bands' again
with Brian's mother. Brian called his mother and it was 'rubber
bands'. Then the bank employee surfaced to add confirmation -
so the grouping into bundles was done at the bank by a bank
employee.

(Does this mean the microfiching was done at the bank?)

Smokin99 wrote

Yes and at least one newspaper editorial in the day wondered if that wasn't the best way to beat the system - get convicted and serve probation or a couple of years for the lesser fraud crime reasoning they would have a heck of a time coming back on you for the real crime -- since you had already been convicted of basically what amounts to making a false confession of that crime.

Yep - kinda hard to actually write all that, but you get my drift.

Wouldn't have worked. The swindle charges aren't lesser included offenses under the air piracy charge. You could be tried and convicted for both without violating double jeopardy.

I found it very surprising that a seasoned journalist could be swindled so easily.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

testxyz

I'm up to 17 serial numbers and a odd pattern has developed.

Having said that.....the 17 serial numbers I have come across
are found in 17 different bundles, if they were once arrange alpha-numerically like I think.

17 different serial numbers from 17 different bundles out of 100 bundles.

Heve you got the entire serial number list ... by bundles?
Who's list is it and where did you get such a list if you have ..

Here is what Grey wrote in his 2011 book SkyJack

"To prepare for a robbery, Seattle First National has set aside a cache
of bills and each serial number of each bill has been recorded on
microfiche. They count out a hundred stacks of twenty-dollar bills,
each stack worth $2,000. The load must weigh twenty pounds, maybe more."

"Inside the airport, the bank officials from Seattle First National bank
lug the ransom into the Northwest flight operations office. The bank
officials cut open a seal of the leather satchel and hand FBI boss
J. Earl Milnes the Canvas bag inside, Its dimension are roughly a
foot by a foot, and eight or nine inches tall. Milnes looks at the
money. He does not count it. He hands the bag to Al Lee, Northwest's
director of flying."

"Al Lee scurries out of the detective's car and around the trunk. He
opens it. He grabs the canvas sack of money and waits for Tina
in the rain"

Georger wrote.....Heve you got the entire serial number list ... by bundles?
Who's list is it and where did you get such a list if you have .

The list was printed in Alpha-Numeric order in various Newspapers in 1976 including the Portland Journal.

The list printed in the newspapers is at the FBI site under DB Cooper vault and is available to the public.

Each page printed in the Newspaper had 300 serial numbers or
3 bundles of 2000 dollars. Starting from the beginning you
can divide each page into 3 bundles.

For example.....if the Tena Bar serial number is found on page 21 and is within the first 100 serial numbers......3 X 20 pages + 1 bundle =
Bundle 61.

testxyz

Here is what Grey wrote in his 2011 book SkyJack

"To prepare for a robbery, Seattle First National has set aside a cache
of bills and each serial number of each bill has been recorded on
microfiche. They count out a hundred stacks of twenty-dollar bills,
each stack worth $2,000. The load must weigh twenty pounds, maybe more."

"Inside the airport, the bank officials from Seattle First National bank
lug the ransom into the Northwest flight operations office. The bank
officials cut open a seal of the leather satchel and hand FBI boss
J. Earl Milnes the Canvas bag inside, Its dimension are roughly a
foot by a foot, and eight or nine inches tall. Milnes looks at the
money. He does not count it. He hands the bag to Al Lee, Northwest's
director of flying."

"Al Lee scurries out of the detective's car and around the trunk. He
opens it. He grabs the canvas sack of money and waits for Tina
in the rain"

***Georger wrote.....Heve you got the entire serial number list ... by bundles?
Who's list is it and where did you get such a list if you have .

The list was printed in Alpha-Numeric order in various Newspapers in 1976 including the Portland Journal.

The list printed in the newspapers is at the FBI site under DB Cooper vault and is available to the public.

Each page printed in the Newspaper had 300 serial numbers or
3 bundles of 2000 dollars. Starting from the beginning you
can divide each page into 3 bundles.

For example.....if the Tena Bar serial number is found on page 21 and is within the first 100 serial numbers......3 X 20 pages + 1 bundle =
Bundle 61.

Is a complete list of the of the Ingram serial numbers there too?

These published lists may not reflect the bundles that were
assembled and given to Cooper. Only the FBI would know and
they may not even know or care!

Is a complete list of the of the Ingram serial numbers there too?

I haven't seen a list of ingram serial numbers anywhere. It would be
nice for Brian ingram to publish the serial numbers he has. I imagine
he has enough of the 300 serial numbers to possibly develop a very good pattern of how the bills were sorted.

Sometimes I wonder how many of the Tena bar serial numbers are legible. In some pictures the bills seem completely black (looks like a black sheet of paper) from exposure to the enviroment.

I developed my Tena Bar SN list from pictures of Tena Bar money found on the net.

Currently I'm up to 20 serial numbers. I have finally found two serial numbers from the same bundle.

If I can find many more serial numbers and they continue to cluster genernally within just a few bundles then I think we can say for certain the money was generally bundled in a alpha-numeric order (as found on micofiche) when cooper got the bundles.