47 47
quade

DB Cooper

it appears that the jumper was a lot further up the steps....

that is the page Greg sent me.....

Nice photos. Can we assume the stairs are locked down
in your photo?
The stairs were not locked down in the test (photos).

Georger, You are very observant. The cloth "modesty panels" on each side of the stairs have been removed. And it looks like some structural member has been added on each side of the stairs and runs down to about the second step.

So it looks like something has been done to the stairs and locking them down during the jump would probably be the best thing to do. Then unlocking and retracting them to their normal up position would be easy to do for the landing.

Robert99

in your photo?

I can't be 100% sure, the picture seems to be from the movie.
note the color of clothing "brown" and the way he is jumping out?

the picture was taken off of Dropzone, Greg Gasson gave me the link.

a better quality of the film is found here, the first 5 minutes are the only parts to watch, or up to the bomb scene.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/208410
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

in your photo?

a better quality of the film is found here, the first 5 minutes are the only parts to watch, or up to the bomb scene.

Except for the close ups of Treat Williams, the opening scenes were shot in the air. Real airplane, real jump, real landing in the trees, etc..

Robert99

in your photo?

Except for the close ups of Treat Williams, the opening scenes were shot in the air. Real airplane, real jump, real landing in the trees, etc..

Robert99

Thanks Robert99, take a look at these two photo's, it appears the stairs are not locked in photo #2
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Robert, once again you fail to remember that this is Hollywood.
these scenes were taken at different times, they very well could
have done a low altitude jump for the landing.

just because he jumped from a 727 doesn't mean the landing is
one in the same! how many times have you watched a movie with
two people talking and one has a glass of beer let's say. when they
show the first part you see a full glass of beer, then the camera shifts
to the other guy and then back on him and the glass is empty? this is
because they mixed two different takes.

the first couple seconds of the plane do look staged, but that's
about it. there was probably several different shoots, some only
filming him after he jumped and probably several of the actual jump.
they can't have one take with the cameraman following him as he
goes down so this was done in different take/shoots/scenes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r71ryANleZ0

I'll go for the real landing in the trees

Cool I have done it several times and I have all the gear.. when can we set you up for a tree jump???:)

Not a chance. But thanks. I might be willing to dupe Cooper's actual jump, though. I'm a survivor and that's a fact. (*smiles*)

On that tree shot in the film, I only wondered how the cam crew managed to be in the exact spot under that particular tree to catch the jumper coming down. For the jump folks: Notice it's also a round.

I don't want to pick on the film too much, though. Any movie about Cooper is better than nothing. The reason Hollywood can't do a serious, high-budget production on Cooper is simple: They can't write the last few pages of the screenplay yet. Maybe someday they will. :)

Its called S P O T T I N G
I did a thing called the Green Meet in 2004 at Snohomish...I spotted the load.. and landed 25' from dead center with a mil surplus 40 year old round... with all the old gear including a belly wart for the reserve ( hence the name GREEN MEET) The winner of the meet beat me by 5 ft... and was 30 years younger and a whole lot smaller... dayum those little floaty butts..

in your photo?

Robert99

Thanks Robert99, take a look at these two photo's, it appears the stairs are not locked in photo #2

Mrshutter, you are right. Unless the stairs could be locked in an intermediate position, and that is unlikely, they were "floating" in the aerial picture.

Amazon wrote

Its called S P O T T I N G
I did a thing called the Green Meet in 2004 at Snohomish...I spotted the load.. and landed 25' from dead center with a mil surplus 40 year old round... with all the old gear including a belly wart for the reserve ( hence the name GREEN MEET) The winner of the meet beat me by 5 ft... and was 30 years younger and a whole lot smaller... dayum those little floaty butts..

Damn good job Amazon. You took first in the masters division.

Spotting is a lost art that should be revived.

Jumping surplus rounds is a lost art that should remain buried, DEEP.

I've got well over a hundred bone-crunching backwards-speeding perfect PLF or break something C9 jumps. Whaduhyuh expect from a $25 canopy anyway?

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

On that tree shot in the film, I only wondered how the cam crew managed to be in the exact spot under that particular tree to catch the jumper coming down. For the jump folks: Notice it's also a round.

Blevins, While the parachute is round, more or less, it also has slots and is steerable. The camera crew picked their tree and got set up. The jumper was aware of the specific tree in which he was to land and he did so. The jumper came to the camera crew without any magic being involved.

To repeat, in the opening scenes of the Treat Williams movie, ALL of the scenes were filmed in the air. The scenes prior to the ones that start with Robert Duvall's name superimposed were filmed when the air mass underneath the was either marine air or had quite a bit of smog. The airliner was above that air mass and in bright sunshine. You have to see this stuff from the air and under a lot of different conditions to understand that it is a natural situation. Also, those scenes were apparently filmed in the late afternoon (and I don't mean early morning).

The scenes with Robert Duvall's name superimposed and later ones had much less smoggy type air beneath the aircraft and things on the ground appeared to be sharper.

Robert99

You guys have been busy tonight.

So have I, but in an entirely different way.

Strange things no one is talking about! Even I am wary of saying much lately - so then U know something is going ON.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Jo wrote

Strange things no one is talking about! Even I am wary of saying much lately - so then U know something is going ON.

That girl can sure tease good. This last one has a hoodoo voodoo tone to it. I can almost hear Dr John, the "night tripper" in the background.

The best zombie song, however, is this one by the Reggae artist Busy Signal: http://www.in-jamaica.com/videofeed/22k64PVNenc#/videofeed/22k64PVNenc

The song is sung entirely in English but the Jamaican accent is so heavy that I bet few here can understand more than a word or two. I challenge you to write a few lines of the lyrics and post them.

So Jo, beneath the tease, what is going on? Can you put him on da plane?

The Duane in plane falls mainly on the insane. ;)

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I think the film Crash is one of the most under-appreciated movies ever done. It addresses human issues in a way no other film has done before or since. Of course, probably the most dramatic scene is the one between Thandie Newton as the woman trapped in the car and Matt Dillon as the racist cop who molested her earlier...now trying to save her life. That's drama for sure.

Uhhhh, you have the wrong film!

Crash as in Disc Channel documentary "Crash" ...
crash testing a 727... It was previously discussed on
this thread. I assumed most people have read this
thread ... most people come here to read the thread
on DB Cooper. A few come for other reasons with other
motives and a barge load of previously unresolved
personal issues having nothing to do with this thread
or anyone here.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/topics/discovery-channel-crashed-727.htm

But there is a SECOND element around here, and it's just as big a problem. Without naming names, let's just say that one or two users have gotten into a bad habit of making smart-ass comments with little or no provocation. New visitors see this stuff, and no doubt it drives them away. I have seen comments on other websites occasionally about it.

I just farted in your general direction...!!!!!

:D

Blevins stated:

But there is a SECOND element around here, and it's just as big a problem. Without naming names, let's just say that one or two users have gotten into a bad habit of making smart-ass comments with little or no provocation. New visitors see this stuff, and no doubt it drives them away. I have seen comments on other websites occasionally about it.

Did U not get the GEST?

U made the thread USELESS for research!

U made the thread about U and promotion!

U will deny this!

U will make a LONG post objecting!

U will pretend U understand something and rattle uselessly about it!

U open your mouth and insert foot!

LOOK in the Mirror! Sure does smell pretty BAD in here! At least I am smart enough to know when the conversations is something I can contribute nothing to. U do not SEE Yourself!

Whew!:S

Do U not understand - U drove away the individuals who need to communicate their expertise on various subjects related to the Cooper EVENTS of 1971. U make senseless posts about subjects U have NO knowledge of! U just cannot see yourself in the Mirror!

Jo doesn't PRETEND to have knowledge of what she knows nothing about. I presented my suspect and I continue to update on the progress or regressions.
I do NOT promote myself! I stay out of discussions I know nothing about - listen and learn!

UPDATE:
As for new information regarding Weber - there is some, but nothing U would care about and things I am not ready to talk about.

"U can put Duane in a chute, but U have to put him on the plane".
What if I could do that?

What if I can put him in a chute with known jumpers in the forestry?

Will it put him on the plane?
NO!

What if one of these individuals had something left on his door! Would he have acknowledge that he knew who Cooper was or could have been? Would he have been fearful of being accused of being an accomplice?

Remember the pic of Ed Huran and the escapee he looked like!
Was that just JO imagining things? Age progression - sure is a wonderful thing!

I don't suppose your 5,500+ posts without a single thing that can be checked had anything to do with 'driving people away'? :S

Take a poll on that one.
The people came here to see what was happening with my story. We did very well and then along came Blevins to promote and to put anyone down but his suspect.

Tonight it was decided I would go back to the N.E. Sure a lot to do to prepare for this, but it will be done unless the authorities take step to get it done before I get there. I will be doing things I asked other to help me with, like you Blevins but you were so into your promotions you didn't have time to check out Coure d alene and Missoula and Spokane for the footprints. You were told about a specific place but you didn't even bother to check the smokejump museum out at all.

Part of the story is right there right under your nose and on to the Indian reservation and then to Spokane. I will do this and if I should die in the process - I will have given 100% to the cause. Expect I am the only one who knows what I am looking for.

Maybe I will sprout wings and fly like a bird and then soaring over the forest and the mountains and streams reliving the history of the area in the 1940's. Then on to Seattle and just for fun up to Alaska.

Then the trip back down the West coast thru Oregon and over to Bemerton and then to Tahoe and have a little fun.

Then to AZ where I have family and then hit the high road again to Co and Nebraska and to Kansas and then to Canton Ohio where he was born and place what remains I do NOT release in Wa on the ground he was born in in the yr. of the Loraine tornado.

skyjack71

You say:

" Then on to Seattle and just for fun up to Alaska."

I say that when you are in Seattle, I would like to invite you to lunch with Bruce Smith and myself at Seattle Yacht Club and on my ticket. We can compare notes on the DB Cooper Caper and get to put a face on our nom-de-plumes. Let me know when you plan to be here and I will try to fit it into my plans.

Bob Sailshaw
[email protected]

Wonder why U know who thinks it was so ODD I presented a picture of a guy in Salt Lake. WHY the hell did HE think I posted it in the 1st place?

I posted it because I was looking for answers just like you make your posts about Petersen. It was part of the search efforts I needed to make to uncover the things I DID not know.

I do KNOW the Salt Lake photo WAS not just a pic of a passerby, but someone who KNEW Duane Weber! The answer to that one pic might clear up a lot of things for some people - including myself.

I did NOT come to the thread to PROMOTE a subject - I came to learn MORE about jumpers, to see if anyone recognized him, to explore his past and HOPE that someone passing by or thru the thread might have some answers.

Yet, the one person who puts me down the most is the one person who has utilized this thread for one purpose to PROMOTE his subject and his book - NOT to explore the possibilities and definitely not to LEARN!

Sailshaw you have presented your subject and told why u think he was Cooper and I presented Weber and why I think he is Cooper. You nor I have tried to SELL a story about our subjects.
Neither Sailshaw nor Jo Weber have written a book about their subjects.

I have definitely been given the opportunity over the yrs to exploit Weber - but chose to go with evidence and truths and not stories contrived to sell a book.

I would rather go down as having tried to find the truth rather than
having written a book about a person who could NOT have been Cooper. AT least I am trying to do the right thing - some individuals absolutely have NO Scruples.

All being said - the LAST PERSON ON EARTH ANYONE WITH A COOPER SUSPECT NEEDS would be assistance from Blevins.

Lots of real people try to help, but one has to be a little leary about information forthcoming after 40 yrs. I try NOT to get my hopes up when new information comes my way - but for some reason a lot more are coming forth NOW than they did 17 yrs ago...perhaps because the case is 40 yrs old and is being closed.

Perhaps the FBI had lots of people contacting them, but now with the internet - perhaps they can correlate the new and the old into a more orderly exploration of this old crime and the suspect from the past.

HARD to believe that a man Could get NATIONAL attention by Skyjacking a plane and NO ONE I dentified him in 40 yrs. If he died - NO one missed him!

;)Wonder HOW many phone calls the FBI got about individuals they suspected of being Cooper?

:|Suspects presented and NO way to correlate them all. Maybe NOW the FBI is searching thru the old files and computerizing all of the prior leads to see how many of them targeted a specific suspect!

DO U THINK!:)

I just farted in your general direction...!!!!!

But there's someone around here called the 'vitriole magnet,' and I wonder how many people stay away from, and have left, the thread because of him. I'm getting a real strong feeling right now, and I believe it's gas....oh oh, I just let one go too.