47 47
quade

DB Cooper

After several failed attempts asking and still being lost on the subject, I figured a couple pictures may help somewhat. There were only two backpack chutes according to the record but this thread makes it seem like there were dozens which were radically different in appearance. Perhaps that is true as well, I simply can’t tell.

Since this tale has secretaries, taxi cabs and airline personnel all handling these parachutes, the parlance may be to blame for some of this. Cooper took an NB-6 or NB-6 style parachute from the supplied pool of two (2). So far this makes sense to even me. The first attachment has an image of an NB-6 on the left with the cryptic title of NB-6.

The ‘other’ parachute has been variously described as a ‘sport’, ‘Pioneer’ or civilian parachute and was allegedly photographed by Bruce Smith last year, which is the image on the right of the first attachment (Pioneer ‘Sport’).

Now perhaps a jumper can instantly spot a massive or obvious number of differences between these items but I simply don’t see it. They both appear to me (a non-expert) as aircrew emergency chutes. If Hayden did own the chutes Cooper used AND the chutes were identical (as Hayden indicated), THEN I would surmise that the chute Cooper grabbed was an NB-6 style rig and his choice was moot since there were two of the same breed to select. But for some reason this question is always answered with deflections and are so vague that I still can’t tell what happened.

The second attachment illustrates the NB-6 and Pioneer chutes being modeled for use. Once again, I feel like one would have to be a supreme expert on the subject to identify any difference between the two from my experience level.

Perhaps the difference between Sport and military rigs in 1971 was minimal in comparison to later equipment. The first civil emergency chute I put on was so thin and light that I was suspicious of some sort of joke being played on me.

Does the source and type of parachutes Cooper used remain a mystery (like the seat he used) or are the pictures of the NB-6 and the Pioneer ‘Sport’ representative of Cooper’s chutes? Secondly, what are these major differences which are spoken about between the two in the photos?

The NB-6 could handle the high speed opening while the Pioneer would have probably failed.

where does the reserve attach to the pioneer?
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

The NB-6 could handle the high speed opening while the Pioneer would have probably failed.

??? :D

That Pioneer 'sport' rig isn't a 'skydiving' system...there is no reserve D rings on front or side strap tie downs on it.

It's a PEP, or Pilots Emergency Parachute... that's what we gravity junkies call 'em.

And either container could obviously hold the exact same canopy...the same strength and opening speed parameters would apply to either container if the same parachute was inside. ;)

Does anyone knew exactly what type of Pioneer system was given that fateful day? Pioneer made several Skydiving systems ...and since reserve parachutes were included in the delivery (or so I thought-'training aid'?)

I tend to think one may have been an actual sport rig and not the 'Navy' rig copy that flug posted a pic of.

Edited at add: I see you caught that and made an edit :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It is good to say;"But what if?" or question; "Why?" but not to lie.

Mat

So then, we are even, because I am not a liar and you are not a crew member. What you know is not the same as what I know, but you don't ask me, you tell me, I lie. Why? That is against forum rules, Matt. You are making a false assumption based on a lack of knowledge, hence the retarded picture, which, I admit was also over the top. Consider cause and effect. I am normally considerate, but react too quickly to unsupported confrontational attacks. Try being what you suggest yourself. Let's all be pleasant. 377 is a shining example for us all, most of the time.... We can disagree without your attacks.

As it stands presently there are two diametrically opposing answers (how surprising).

mrshutter45 indicates that the type of canopy packed in the chutes is visible, but left no clue as how a layperson (code for me) could see this variation. A Pioneer chute may fail I suppose, but the aircraft was doing less than 200 knots and tens of thousands of aircrew bailed out of flaming, spinning and or inverted aircraft during WWII with a very high success rate and at greater velocities.

Either way, I was asking about the differing points of appearance and how someone (code for Cooper) could look at the chutes in the photographs and make a determination as to function since they appear nearly identical to me (code for dork).

airtwardo responds that the canopy contained within either of the rigs could be the same as there are no external signs to indicate what flavor is packed within. This makes me feel a little more secure since they appear so similar that I would have sworn they are nearly indistinguishable in appearance and function. Guess I can be less concerned about that booze filled night in Bangkok and that woman who carried me home. For a while there I was starting to worry about my visual interpretation skills.

Boo-yah.

Either way, the Amazing Farflungini is beginning to sense some uncertainty as to the type of parachutes delivered to Cooper. The Amazing Farflungini predicts the answer to the parachute’s precise nomenclature will remain a dark mystery, which in fact serves as the dilithium crystals which power the spaceship ‘Private Enterprise’ deeper and deeper into a void of random chaos and anti-logic. The Amazing Farflungini anxiously awaits the appearance of a ‘Green Tina’.

ok, well here is a link on canopy info, will find more that I have found, but gotta go to work:)
I will find the link but did read somewhere that the pioneer would fail in high speed drops.

http://themountainnewswa.net/2011/10/25/db-cooper-case-heats-up-again-with-controversy-over-parachutes/

"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

ok, well here is a link on canopy info, will find more that I have found, but gotta go to work:)
I will find the link but did read somewhere that the pioneer would fail in high speed drops.

http://themountainnewswa.net/2011/10/25/db-cooper-case-heats-up-again-with-controversy-over-parachutes/

http://huntfordbcooper.com/pioneer-v-s-nb6

This one maybe?

From the article you linked it sounds like there was probably a 26' Navy conical, possibly sleeved...in the Pioneer rig.

It would not have self destructed upon opening and in fact would have been a smoother/softer deployment at any speed.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It is good to say;"But what if?" or question; "Why?" but not to lie.

Mat

So then, we are even, because I am not a liar and you are not a crew member. What you know is not the same as what I know, but you don't ask me, you tell me, I lie. Why? That is against forum rules, Matt. You are making a false assumption based on a lack of knowledge, hence the retarded picture, which, I admit was also over the top. Consider cause and effect. I am normally considerate, but react too quickly to unsupported confrontational attacks. Try being what you suggest yourself. Let's all be pleasant. 377 is a shining example for us all, most of the time.... We can disagree without your attacks.

Really? Out of all that, you avoid the actual issue and want to feel sad you are not trusted and believed?

I rarely see you considerate of others, you're usually harsh and mean spirited, maybe this is too close to that for you and your feelings got hurt?

You point out a rule infraction to me? Yet your on record of numerous? (By the way, the saying you cherry picked, never called YOU a liar, you put that shoe on)

I, and many others, have asked you numerous times to PROVE your story, you won't, I believe it is because you can't.

I have yet to see any "proof" your word is not "proof" it is hear say (just like my word in this case would be "hear say", as I too, was not there), or as some have stated a made up story.

But, that aside:

I have done some checking on your story. So far none of it adds up. So far each person who could answer the question has said : No, not a statement of fact, or that it is a bold face lie. A few even knew why I was asking and named you with out a hint of prompting. One even said the slander had better stop or I would be in court, till I read your post to them. So, before I get accused of being a Bob Knoss "lacky" again (ironic, huh?), please post actual "proof" or "evidence" as that would meet the Standards of the Courts, even circumstantial. Please remember "Hear say" has already been rules out.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Farflung's point about heads or tails on the choice of parachute makes a lot of sense.

The only caveat I would mention is Cooper knew about McCord Air Force base and might (toss that quarter again) have assumed that any chutes would come from there. Hell that's probably the first place I would have gone if I was the one securing the chutes anyway.

Regardless, he (Cooper) obviously had the power and the opportunity to direct where the chutes should come from and/or what type/model of chutes they should be -- and he didn't. I think that says a lot.
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

http://huntfordbcooper.com/pioneer-v-s-nb6

This one maybe?

From the article you linked it sounds like there was probably a 26' Navy conical, possibly sleeved...in the Pioneer rig.

It would not have self destructed upon opening and in fact would have been a smoother/softer deployment at any speed.
I remember Gray's article, but that's not the one, I'll find it:)

Over the weekend, Bruce Smith had a medical
emergency and was hospitalised. Bruce has asked
me to announce that he is recovering but will be
absent for several days on this forum -

I will share further info as I receive it.

Thanks.
G.

I hope he makes a full recovery and looking forward to hearing from him.

The only caveat I would mention is Cooper knew about McCord Air Force base .

How do we know that for sure? He did mention
Tacoma.

Georger, did Cooper mention Tacoma and McCord while landing in Seattle? if so how did he see it on the right side of the plane?

Here’s a description of the parachutes delivered to Cooper from the FBI files according to Bruce Smith’s article:

1. Civilian luxury type, tan soft cotton material outside, 26 foot while canopy inside. The parachute inside is a military parachute. The parachute has a foam pad cushion and a fray mark down the rib on the back from rubbing on metal.

2. A military backpack parachute, standard olive drab green on outside, a 28 foot white canopy on inside. He (Norman Hayden) stated that this parachute also has a foam pad cushion.”

How would a skydiver take an inventory of a couple parachutes? Would it appear this vague and whuffo-ish? No manufacturer, serial numbers, model, etc.

I don’t think the FBI would describe a gun as a luxury, silver handheld weapon with wooden grips. This appears to be someone doing their best with something they have never encountered before.

Was the Pioneer chute more of an NB-6 clone or civilian variant which morphed and mutated over time? What is the genesis of this military, NB-6, surplus parachute? Please include your source.

Tacoma.

As far as I know the hijacker never mentioned McChord AFB. Nothing about it in the transcripts, etc.

'We're over Tacoma now...' is supposedly what he said to Mucklow while they were circling over the Puget Sound area.

agree on the first -

where in the Transcript does he say 'We're over
Tacoma now...' ?

here are some specs on the NB-8

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-10-1670-213-10.pdf

http://www.butlerparachutes.com/PDF/PIApresen.pdf

Tacoma.

Georger, did Cooper mention Tacoma and McCord while landing in Seattle? if so how did he see it on the right side of the plane?

Frankly I dont know at the moment - my memories
for these fine details is fading, frankly - and they
seem to change with every new asset joining this
case.

If and when I get time I will try to reconnect all of
these dots in light of the latest-greatest researcher
to join the chase - but my enthusiasm for this is
fading fast - thank Christ!

Tacoma.

Yes, Cooper mentioned McCord AFB to Cap and me. He said he knew a guy there that he thought still worked on the ground crew and he was going to see if he could enlist his help. Of course, because I have said this, now it is no longer true, right? Baloney! Another Knoss FACT.

Take care, Bruce! Godspeed.

Tacoma.

As far as I know the hijacker never mentioned McChord AFB. Nothing about it in the transcripts, etc.

'We're over Tacoma now...' is supposedly what he said to Mucklow while they were circling over the Puget Sound area.

agree on the first -

where in the Transcript does he say 'We're over
Tacoma now...' ?

Why don't you check Tosaw's book?