47 47
quade

DB Cooper

'EXCEPT: He did not pull immediately, he pulled on the one-mississippi count of 10 as he was trained. So that theory/conclusion is invalid. You also need to include the 15 mile shift in real position from faking a crab to the fake winds out of the West, which might help. Real wind speed and direction should make it more clear. Lots of misinformation here over the years.

His jumping experience was civilian and was conducted at Flying Cloud Airport by Linstrom's Flight Training Service on the east side of the field in the summer of 1968. I have four witnesses who confirmed this. The log is mysteriously not available. Sound familiar?'

The only thing that 'sounds familiar' is that you are posting up allegations without any evidence, as usual. Names of the witnesses? Proof please?

There is none, in ref to BK's post.

In your post you state "extensive" in ref to his Paratrooper Training. This doesn't jive as a Paratrooper would be well versed in Static Line operations (barring Sport parachute training), now if the NB was worn by the JM/Safeties and he was so trained, he would have pulled once clear of the A/C, as per SOP.

By dismissing the Sport Rig as the one of choice, IMO, we can rule out any one who was a current Sport Jumper and any one trained in SOF/CIA ops.

So, "Cooper" could have been a Navy Life Support Tech, Marine With Parachute training, Army Paratrooper, or Air Force Life Support Tech, PJ or E-TAC.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The only thing that 'sounds familiar' is that you are posting up allegations without any evidence, as usual. Names of the witnesses? Proof please?

Do your own work. They are alive. I am one. You can also find extensive circumstancial evidence on parachute jumping in Minneapolis in 1968, jumping experience and rigger experience of certain suspects, and you might even get someone to talk to you. I doubt it though.

Once again, I’m lost. But at least this ‘equation’ is much simpler than Cooper’s seat selection because there were six (6) seats to use and only two (2) parachutes. Gee Wally, how many leaps of logic will this one involve?

Let’s say I was on Flight 305 and picked a parachute. If I choose the NB-6, I become experienced in something. If I pick the ‘sport’ chute I become a skydiver. Considering that I’m a whuffo, this is a quick way to gain some awesome experience with a result of being a military jumper or skydiver based upon nothing more than 50/50 chance. Hmmmm….. I still don’t get it.

Ahhh….. here’s my problem….. there are no criteria for ‘selection’. Without the process which Cooper employed which guided his hand to the NB-6, how can anyone assume it was anything other than chance? (insert cricket chirps)

If I go to a bar (big stretch here) and demand two beers NOW! The frazzled server may grab two mugs and two adjacent tap handles, then deliver my order. Kinda like a DB CooBeer (get it?). Now the beer I pick up will be a ‘selection’ based upon my expertise on brewing……. Right? (louder cricket chirps)

So I grab and guzzle a Coors Light leaving behind a Chimay Grand Reserve. This selection indicates I was interested in the lighter and more health conscious libation over the more traditional beverage, which has been malted by the very hand of God and brewed by Vestal virgins (once). It is when I engage this mental allegory that I realize no such ‘selection’ would ever take place. For the simple reason that I like beer and virgins, but have little experience with one which I will not disclose at this time.

If I were an experienced beer connoisseur, and wanted to enhance, nay optimize my experience; my selection would be somewhat more refined than demanding two beers immediately. Same with a parachute. I would have them delivered from a military base and would go so far as to plan the hijacking so that it was near a military base with aviation facilities. Then I would demand an NB-6 instead of the open ended order of two backpack chutes. Even here, there are clear signs of making a selection.

What if (if here) Cooper was delivered a pair of ‘sport’ chutes instead of this mixed bag of two? How would one conclude any military experience then? What did Cooper do that a coin toss could not replicate with an accuracy of 100%? (insert deafening, bone crushing cricket chirps)

I had a massive dumb attack Robert99 and think I now understand what you were asking.

Buried deep in my bias, I assumed you meant the TOUTL intersection since you referenced MALAY. See how confusing those intersections used to be? Good thing I wasn’t flying…… this time.

Attached is a comparison and perhaps an answer. The left is the FBI, sectional from ’71 and to the right is one from AIRNAV today.

Point ‘a’ is a registration of the hamlet of Silver Lake to compare geolocations.

Point ‘b’ is a wicked meander in a long forgotten rail road.

Point ‘c’ is the intersection of Toutle Road and the Spirit Lake Highway which is the modern location of Toutle the unincorporated village of.

Point ‘d’ which is marked as Toutle on the FBI chart was the old rail name for the stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toutle,_Washington

Hit the coordinates in that wiki file and it will take you to the old USGS named place. Is this what you were looking for? It was a good one.

Farflung, Your attachment to this post (#32349) illustrates the problem perfectly.

After further review (as the saying goes), I think your explanation can account for almost all of the discrepancy between the two maps.

My eyeball estimate of the latitude and longitude for the map symbol that is labeled "Toutle" on both the FBI map and the 2009 Seattle sectional is as follows.

FBI map: 46D 19.9M North Latitude and 122D 41.0M West Longitude.

2009 SEA sectional: 46D 19.1M North Latitude and 122D 44.0M West Longitude.

Converting the FBI map from the NAD27 to the WGS84 reference system moves the Toutle symbol south about 19 meters and west about 94 meters. This is a move in the right direction but is ignored since these numbers would disappear in the "rounding off" of the numbers used above to calculate it.

So just comparing the NAD27 and WGS84 Longitude and Latitudes, gives a shift of 0.8 Minutes of Latitude South and 3.0 Minutes of Longitude West just in going from the FBI map to the Seattle sectional.

0.8 Minutes of Latitude is equivalent to 0.8 nautical miles. 3.0 Minutes of Longitude at the Toutle latitude corresponds to a 2.07 nautical mile shift to the west.

The discrepancy was 2.5 nautical miles when abeam of the Toutle symbol. The above numbers can explain about 2.0 to 2.25 nautical miles of the discrepancy.

So it looks like the symbol for Toutle was wandering around between the two charts and not the PDX VORTAC.

Apparently as the charts were updated for the WGS84 coordinate system, the area around Toutle was changed (expanded?) more than other areas on the FBI map and that gave the visual impression, when considering nearby landmarks, that things hadn't changed at all. But the longitude and latitude changes seems to be the source of the discrepancy.

Farflung: I see your point about 'what if' Cooper had been provided with two sport chutes.

But the fact remains he did pick the military chute, for some reason. You are right. It could have been chance, or maybe not.

No, God damnit, you dont get the point!

Farf's point is: Cooper had no input into the chutes
offered (brought on board) in the first place.
Likewise, once the available options were brought
on board there is nothing in the record that Cooper
said or did which proves his choice was anything
other than random, from a 50-50 choice.

Farf is saying you are reading too much into what
actually happened and the random choices available.
And, that the choices available are actually non-
weighted. That means, that one chute was military
and one was civilian do not of themselves prove
the choice Cooper made.

Farf's point is: The choices of chute do not by
themselves certify any particular background for
Cooper.

Had Cooper specified in the beginning he would only
accept "military" chutes, then there is some cause
to wonder however even that is not sufficient or
amounts to proof. Because, Cooper might have
been asking for military chutes simply on because
of some thought on his part, that military chutes
would be more reliable somehow.

Likewise, there is apparently nothing in the record
Cooper said or did which addreses the choice he
made, if it was anything other than random.

What Farf is addressing is your long established
habit of jumping to conclusions the available
information does not warrant or support, violating
logic, and your ignoring or refusing to admit logical
possibilities you dont seem to see or claim do not
exist as logical choices.

It is strange how you "mix and match" things and
ideas! You will say, for example, Cooper's choice of
chutes "proves" a military connection greater than
mere random choice between two choices (50-50),
while on the other hand two guys in a trailer over
weekend plus other supporting data does not add
up to "Gay".

On the one hand you are blind. On the other hand
you see Jesus in the Toast simply due to Toast
being presented, and are even willing to cite the
scripture spoken from the damned toast - and THEN
examine for us if that airy disk spoken wasa lie or
not! I see that kind of thing on psych wards!

Farf is trying to give you good advice. I wonder how \
long he will hold out because I know you have the
power to outlast him! Your motivations are far
different from his - Farf knows that too!

Fellows, stick to one thing at a time. If Cooper's seat number is never determined and the "fake crab angle" issue resolved, then this hijacking will never be solved. Right?

Introducing all these new issues will overpower the capability of the people on the thread.

Fellows, stick to one thing at a time. If Cooper's seat number is never determined and the "fake crab angle" issue resolved, then this hijacking will never be solved. Right?

Introducing all these new issues will overpower the capability of the people on the thread.

where have you been!

That happned two-three-four years ago?

Apparently as the charts were updated for the WGS84 coordinate system, the area around Toutle was changed (expanded?) more than other areas on the FBI map and that gave the visual impression, when considering nearby landmarks, that things hadn't changed at all. But the longitude and latitude changes seems to be the source of the discrepancy.

Looking at the two charts, in the Toutle area, it is obvious that the Toutle circle moved with respect to nearby landmarks, namely the river courses.

The discrepancy was 2.5 nautical miles when abeam of the Toutle symbol. The above numbers can explain about 2.0 to 2.25 nautical miles of the discrepancy.

Which may be within the standard deviation for
points on the maps themselves?

True. And if anyone thinks they know the location of Cooper's jump zone, they need to specify where the information came from and who plotted the nonsense.

Looking at the two charts, in the Toutle area, it is obvious that the Toutle circle moved with respect to nearby landmarks, namely the river courses.

You and I must not be looking at the same maps. Or maybe we just have different experience levels of what maps represent and how they are produced.

After further review of your post I realized how far I ran with your initial question Robert99.

The perfect storm was churning with a cross contamination of terrestrial city names and airway intersection names (MALAY and TOUTL) combined with your reference of the NAD and WGS correction datum. I believe there are 48 or 49 people who are aware of NAD and they are all related. So I jumped to the conclusion that you were modeling the Victor airway environment in some GIS. Then I went ape shit with that assumption.

The mere mention of comparing NAD and WGS steered me to the conclusion that you had removed those corrections in both files and you were using the LAT/LONG from the FAA to plot the navaid’s positions in the flat file. Then I figured you digitized the Victor Airways from the ’71 and later file (separate layers) to discover some data contention between the two Mayfield and Toutle airway intersections. Am I getting far enough in left field yet?

So then I figure, like I know what the hell I’m doing, that you had not made any isogonic corrections to the VORTAC compass rose which included the 3 degree delta from the SEA VORTAC at 64 DME which would have induced a 3 NMI ambiguity ellipse at Mayfield and Toutle intersections (what are the freakin odds?). Viola, just add the magnetic corrections and align both files on WGS84 and you should be good to go. Or so I thought.

You can imagine my embarrassment to discover you referenced the town of Toutle and not the airway intersection. With that in mind, I’m blaming fatigue combined with an alien abduction and probing, rather than taking personal responsibility for the lack of reading comprehension.

After further review of your post I realized how far I ran with your initial question Robert99.

The perfect storm was churning with a cross contamination of terrestrial city names and airway intersection names (MALAY and TOUTL) combined with your reference of the NAD and WGS correction datum. I believe there are 48 or 49 people who are aware of NAD and they are all related. So I jumped to the conclusion that you were modeling the Victor airway environment in some GIS. Then I went ape shit with that assumption.

The mere mention of comparing NAD and WGS steered me to the conclusion that you had removed those corrections in both files and you were using the LAT/LONG from the FAA to plot the navaid’s positions in the flat file. Then I figured you digitized the Victor Airways from the ’71 and later file (separate layers) to discover some data contention between the two Mayfield and Toutle airway intersections. Am I getting far enough in left field yet?

So then I figure, like I know what the hell I’m doing, that you had not made any isogonic corrections to the VORTAC compass rose which included the 3 degree delta from the SEA VORTAC at 64 DME which would have induced a 3 NMI ambiguity ellipse at Mayfield and Toutle intersections (what are the freakin odds?). Viola, just add the magnetic corrections and align both files on WGS84 and you should be good to go. Or so I thought.

You can imagine my embarrassment to discover you referenced the town of Toutle and not the airway intersection. With that in mind, I’m blaming fatigue combined with an alien abduction and probing, rather than taking personal responsibility for the lack of reading comprehension.

Huh?

The moment Toutle came up my detector went off -
Toutle, Toutle Lake, the Olde Toutle, the Newe Toutle.

How many Toutles are there? Did one close and
another open up? Is it a group of villages - the
Toutle Group ?

I dunno. But Ive heard references to all of the above during my life.

Blevins? Do you know. You live in Washington!
JT?

You're right. I'm looking at an '08 sectional from Sluggo's (which is slightly tilted) and I'm looking at the original flight path plot from the FBI. Maybe your 09 sectional doesn't show rivers and highways? I've reproduced bits of the two charts below. In each, the little circle represents Toutle location.

There is no black and white answer, and Farflung's theory is no better than mine.

You have two chutes in front of you. You know SOMETHING about putting one on and using it. Which do you pick?

You could say it was an eenie-meenie-miney-mo choice...or you could say a moment of thought went into a decision that meant LIFE OR DEATH.

Chances are, Cooper at least considered which one to use. If he was military, the military chute was the obvious choice. If he was a sport jumper, he might not have known that the NB-6 was actually a better choice, and may have picked the sport. Hard to say. His lack of choice on the sport makes me think Cooper either had limited sport experience, no sport, or military only.

Having the NB-6 delivered, as I said, could have been sheer luck for Cooper.

There is no way to prove your point any better than mine. Random choice? Or bit of thought first before reaching for one of them?

Because of the life and death thing, I vote 'bit of thought'.

well, Farflungs theory of evidence is better than
yours because he has a different higher standard
for proof than you have, and for what he will accept
as a "causal connection".

You dont appear to know the difference.

What you would supposedly know and supposedly
do (you say) is not an adequate model for what
and who Cooper was, and nobody who knows the
difference is going to take you seriously on this no
matter how many times and how many years you
state your claims.

Sorry, but that just the way it is -

How many Toutles are there? Did one close and
another open up? Is it a group of villages - the
Toutle Group ?

I dunno. But Ive heard references to all of the above during my life.

Blevins? Do you know. You live in Washington!
JT?

Georger,

I don't know if you were jesting or not. Farflung explained it in his recent post. If I understand correctly, the Toutle on the old chart marked a rail stop that is no longer used. I think probably just the official location of "Toutle" changed. Still people living around the old location.

Georger,

I don't know if you were jesting or not. Farflung explained it in his post. If I understand correctly, the Toutle on the old chart marked a rail stop that is no longer used. I think probably just the official location of "Toutle" changed. Still people living around the old location.

Precisely and yes Ive been reading everyone's
posts. Farflungs included. I am suggesting the same
thing. As evidenced by "Toutle Lake" vs Old Toutle
vs New Toutle. My family made those references.
They were residents of Oregon and Washington
in the 1970s amd 80s and it meant something to
them, apparently. Several members of my extended
family hunted that area and knew the guys who
found the placard -

I am suggesting JT might know something about
the history of Toutle - his wife might - residents of
Toutle would and several of them used to read this
forum.

Moreover, there is some level of standard error in
these old FBI pre-gps maps; I doubt that has
anything to do with the position of Toutle as an