47 47
quade

DB Cooper

13 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

I heard that before..

I thought it was unconfirmed.

Since there is no written statement from any source then it is unconfirmed.  Its not for lack of trying.  

In retrospect I should have stayed out of this ........... its still open for anyone to pursue. Good luck.  

My interest in the Cooper case is less every day. 

Edited by georger

6 hours ago, olemisscub said:

I’ll email Detlor about it. Maybe he remembers.

It never hurts to check things out independently - also call the Sheriff's Dept and see where you get with them.  They told me files from 1971 were expunged long ago, but who knows. They do charge a fee for searches. 

9 hours ago, georger said:

Since there is no written statement from any source then it is unconfirmed.  Its not for lack of trying.  

In retrospect I should have stayed out of this ........... its still open for anyone to pursue. Good luck.  

My interest in the Cooper case is less every day. 

You're too humble, G. You have done good research, and you have important information to share. I wish you would. 

17 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Yes, West.. it is 10 miles from Heisson store.

Heisson was 11:30 and the house intruder was around midnight.. those times are likely estimates.. a 10 mile walk is 2.5 hours. Either he hitched a ride or those times are actually further apart..  or maybe they are unrelated.

It is 10 miles as the crow flies but almost 17 miles by road, that is more like a 4 hour walk..  seems unlikely Cooper could walk that unless he hitched a ride to La Center??

1927397538_ScreenShot2023-09-04at9_27_24AM.png.2767df3dbf85bc72daa52a18f5a18da4.png

2 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

It is 10 miles as the crow flies but almost 17 miles by road, that is more like a 4 hour walk..  seems unlikely Cooper could walk that unless he hitched a ride to La Center??

1927397538_ScreenShot2023-09-04at9_27_24AM.png.2767df3dbf85bc72daa52a18f5a18da4.png

Cooper's first and only priority is to get OUT of the area asap!  He isnt going to screw around and waste time doing a break-in to steal new work boots! The store sits just feet from a major rural railroad-highway cross roads that people use all the time. . . . . . and why leave a calling card!  COOPER WAS HERE!

The information I have is 'the boots were found and returned ... the store owner declined to press charges.  ???  There is no file, not even the old call log. The og store owner is long dead. The new store owner loves all the attention but knows nothing...

Edited by georger
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, georger said:

Cooper's first and only priority is to get OUT of the area asap!  He isnt going to screw around and waste time doing a break-in to steal new work boots! The store sits just feet from a major rural railroad-highway cross roads that people use all the time. . . . . . and why leave a calling card!  COOPER WAS HERE!

Boots were not stolen...  "survival rations" were. At 11:30PM, dark and isolated.

storebreakin.jpg.7367068ea357a04e546082a588afd1fa.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, georger said:

I'm with you on this. Although I'm not sure if he was hustling as much as we think. He had no idea of knowing that the pressure bump would betray him. He may have been thinking that there was no possible way they'd know where he jumped, so maybe he didn't rush. However, it's still natural instinct to just get the hell out of Dodge as soon as you can. 

I don't believe Heisson was Cooper, but it would still be nice to have confirmation that it WASN'T Cooper. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, olemisscub said:

I'm with you on this. Although I'm not sure if he was hustling as much as we think. He had no idea of knowing that the pressure bump would betray him. He may have been thinking that there was no possible way they'd know where he jumped, so maybe he didn't rush. However, it's still natural instinct to just get the hell out of Dodge as soon as you can. 

I don't believe Heisson was Cooper, but it would still be nice to have confirmation that it WASN'T Cooper. 

I think its a big mistake to make ANY assumptions about Cooper, beyond what most people would do in a crisis where one is being sought and apprehended. Im not sure he is even alive after the jump. Based on what most jumpers say, he probably is.  But somehow several bundles of his money escapes? his control to wind up at Tena Bar years later. That breaks a smooth transition scenario out of Dodge and I tend to agree with Tom: something went wrong in an otherwise smooth escape ?  I hope Tom's new bills reveal something!  

2 minutes ago, georger said:

I think its a big mistake to make ANY assumptions about Cooper, beyond what most people would do in a crisis where one is being sought and apprehended. Im not sure he is even alive after the jump. Based on what most jumpers say, he probably is.  But somehow several bundles of his money escapes? his control to wind up at Tena Bar years later. That breaks a smooth transition scenario out of Dodge and I tend to agree with Tom: something went wrong in an otherwise smooth escape ?  I hope Tom's new bills reveal something!  

One of my dumb theories is that Cooper hitchhiked with someone, much like McCoy did. Whenever he got to his location, Cooper, already showing that he could be generous with money (Tina), tossed the guy a bundle or left it in the car for him. Guy drives off and is thoroughly confused. At some point he hears about the hijacking on the radio and panics, since he is now an accessory to a capital crime, and tosses the money into the brush as he's driving near Caterpillar Island. It sits in the brush until the 72 flood pushes it a mile or so north and deposits it on TB. 

2 minutes ago, olemisscub said:

One of my dumb theories is that Cooper hitchhiked with someone, much like McCoy did. Whenever he got to his location, Cooper, already showing that he could be generous with money (Tina), tossed the guy a bundle or left it in the car for him. Guy drives off and is thoroughly confused. At some point he hears about the hijacking on the radio and panics, since he is now an accessory to a capital crime, and tosses the money into the brush as he's driving near Caterpillar Island. It sits in the brush until the 72 flood pushes it a mile or so north and deposits it on TB. 

The paid hitchhiker scenario has come up before..

But the paper or rubber bands wouldn't hold till spring..

A few things about Heisson..

First, the FBI files never named it, we assume it is the Heisson store.. probably is.

and robbing a rural grocery store for survival rations at 11:30PM while escaping along the tracks fits a fugitive fine. Claiming he wouldn't do that to reject it is silly.

But, I don't have an opinion on Heisson,, there just isn't enough evidence to go one way or the other on it. 

Edited by FLYJACK

15 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

A few things about Heisson..

First, the FBI files never named it, we assume it is the Heisson store.. probably is.

and robbing a rural grocery store for survival rations at 11:30PM while escaping along the tracks fits a fugitive fine. Claiming he wouldn't do that to reject it is silly.

But, I don't have an opinion on Heisson,, there just isn't enough evidence to go one way or the other on it. 

Again, I'm with you. The survival rations angle certainly fits a man in his situation at that moment. 

One angle that just hit me is the cigarettes..

I have never smoked but smokers need their hits..

When Cooper jumped what was his cigarette supply?? What was the time span for his on hand supply??

Imagine this scenario,,, Cooper using the railroad tracks to get out of the area.. he was low on cigarettes, at least not enough to get through the night. He sees a grocery store and breaks in for cigarettes... then grabs a few other items.

Wherever Cooper landed he may have had a limited supply of cigarettes..

Edited by FLYJACK
  • Like 1

I've always found it interesting that Cooper wasn't noted smoking after they landed. Maybe he lit up once Tina was in the cockpit, but he seemingly goes a couple of hours without smoking between approx. 5:45 and approx. 7:45

fun trivia: Mac kept having to bum cigarettes from his hostage passengers throughout his hijacking. 

10 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Boots were not stolen...  "survival rations" were. At 11:30PM, dark and isolated.

storebreakin.jpg.7367068ea357a04e546082a588afd1fa.jpg

I wish I had had this when I talked to the old deputy. This is not the description of stolen items the deputy mentioned. He mentioned a pair of new boots, as in work boots. Sorry.

23 hours ago, Jay Ritchie said:

Assuming he was a regular smoker he would have taken spare packets - but might these have got soaked in the fall? If he was cold and tense he might have taken some real risks for a cigarette.

Any smoker needs a backup?  Had cigs and a few basics in the green paper bag ?  What store in the area packaged people's purchases in green paper bags? Any? Green shopping bags is a  little distinctive in that era?  An upscale paper bag?  A bag from an airport store?

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 16-33-15 green paper shopping bags 1971 - Google Search.png

Edited by georger