samp76

Static Liner's Unite!!

There is a little question for everyone that learned how to skydive through S/L progression.

I am just a little curious on how everybody's delays went. For example, how many hop n pops, now many 5 secs, 10 secs and so on. I looked in the SIM and could not find anything specific. I also did a search but came up empty on that too. Any Help?

-Sam-:P
Let go of the NUT!!

Way back when I was learning, the only way to do it was S/L. The BSR said that 5 S/L needed to be done before going on to a Hop/Pop. Three DRCP needed to be done, with the last one and the first Hop/Pop being done on the same day. After that, it was three Hop/Pops, three 5 second delays, three 10 second delays, and so on.
I'm not even going to say how many S/L jumps I had to do before getting to do my Hop/Pop, but I think I hold the record for the most here in Colorado.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I hold a dropzone record for number of 15-second delays to move on to 30-second delays. I wsa convinced that they had a bowling ball right around the corner for me. It took me 13 times before I "met the targeted learning objectives". I persisted, because I wasn't particularly unsafe, I was having fun, and I was SKYDIVING! They didn't give up on me. Eventually, I learned how to "ride the bike". And I'm still having fun!
-Jeff.
http://www.iplummet.com

Common sense and common courtesy are NOT common.

I was 11 jumps on the dope rope before my "pre-second" freefall:$:S:D.

Then it was 2 5 sec, and 2 10 secs. Then on the 20 secs, I was stuck for like 5 jumps because of a built-in turn that magically stopped everytime I looked at the altimeter:$:S:D. I nearly had to transition off to AFF to correct that problem. Until my instructor Mike Bell figured out that it's because I didn't have a reference point to key off. One jump w/ Mike, and big Mt. Ranier was too obvious to miss.

After that, I'm on to the big plane babay!:ph34r:

Ditto here flyangel, except I only had to do two 10 sec. delays, two 15 sec. delays, two 30's etc. As far as progression went it seemed like every other jump was a good jump and every other jump was a bad jump. But they kept letting me go to the next step. (The 3 tandems done the year before helped alot to finally get the arch down.) Harry

S/L went by the book; C&P was another matter. :)
30 c&P's before the biggest fattest JM took me out on a harness hold and blew my mind. :$

Off student status in 48 jumps. This was in 1975. :ph34r:

It's not a record a friend of mine did 90+ jumps before he got off and made of very good jumper in the end.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

10 years ago when I started on Long Island, it was 3 dope ropes then unassisted delays. Everything went perfectly until I developed a slow right hand turn at about the 30 second delay level. Couldn't figure it out and the JM couldn't see why from the plane. Had to spend a while in a wind tunnel before I was able to fall straight.:)

But is it up to each DZ to decide on the time of the delay and how many of them that are to be done? After what delay can you say that you are no longer on a delay??:S

Does the USPA have anything to say about it?

-Sam-

Let go of the NUT!!

Let's see, I started back in august and here's my progression:

2: Static Lines
4: Practice Ripcord Pulls
1: Hop-n-Pop
1: 5 second delay
1: 10 second delay
2: 15 second delays

It would have been only 3 PRCPs but on the 3rd one I got short roped and the bag was out of the container before I could grab the handle and I never was able to find and pull it...I was sooo pissed, but all is well :P

me: 7 SLs (5 DRCPs), then might have repeated a level or two, but pretty much stuck to the "3 jumps at each level" thing. The delineation between "student status" and "no longer on student status" wasn't quite as formal then.

I had a guy with maybe 50 jumps putting me out on my 15-second delays. But his only job was to make sure I hadn't blown the spot too badly.

Unfortunately my logbooks walked away one day many moons ago, so I have no idea of specifics. Except that I KNOW my first freefall was my 8th jump!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

1-2: Static Lines
3-5: PRCPs
6-8: Failed 5 secs (unstable)
9: Fixed instability, cleared to second 10 sec.
10-11: 10 sec
12-13: 15 sec
14-15: 20 sec
Then I went on winter break (no jumping for two months)
16: recurrency PRCP
17: recurrency 10 sec
18-20: 30 sec
Graduated to the turbine
21-23: Coach jumps.
Cleared to self-JM.

Total time: 7 months

I did 18 jumps till I was off student status. The only jump I had to repeat was a 10sec delay... turns out the instructors don't like me pulling 1000 feet lower then planned :D (but I did it for the extra freefall jk)
The other extra jumps were for recurrency PRCPs and hop and pops

MB 3528, RB 1182

:D ok ..
In South Africa you have to do a minimum of 8 S/L jumps, 5 of which are DRCP's. The last DRCP and first H & P have to be on the same day. After that:
3sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 15 sec with alti, 20 sec poised exit, 20 sec unpoised exit.

My progression. Did my first H & P on jump 13. Did a back loop, repeated, did a side loop thingy, back on the rope. And then my woes began. I was back and forth like a yo yo.
In total: 22 dope ropes
6 x 3 sec delays
3 x 10 sec
4 x 15 sec (had a spinning problem)
2 x 20 sec poised
1 x 20 sec unpoised (Best jump of my life!!!!)

Now that I've fixed my turning problems, I'm now trying to figure out how to do 360s ...:D

Had my pre-second unstable exit on sunday ... pretty freaky feeling B|

I know my progression has been, at times painfully, slow, but I am not in the least bit embarrassed. It's not a race, I don't have a time limit, but most importantly I'm safe and I am having the time of my life.B|

Kerry

I know my progression has been, at times painfully, slow, but I am not in the least bit embarrassed.

***> good, there is no reason to feel embarrassed, everyone has a different information saturation point.....and then.....whala.....everything just works:)if anyone gives you a hard time about the pace of your training, refer them to me and I'll pummel em for ya;) uhhhhhh your in Africa?? ok how bout an internet jab?:P a verbal lashing??

LOL
Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I was 11 jumps on the dope rope before my "pre-second" freefall

---> 11??? 11???? oh my gawd, I wasnt the only one??

Take comfort knowing i was worse than you 2.

I did 12 S/L before i was cleared for my H&P.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Take comfort knowing i was worse than you 2.

I did 12 S/L before i was cleared for my H&P.

***> wait wait wait!!!!..........I know William and was just flipping him some static about........:P his static lines (and mine).......
there is no worse, you jump, you live, you learn. there is nothing anyone can do in the air that makes them more special than any one else........sorry if I gave the impression of making malicious fun......it was meant in good spirits

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I looked in the SIM and could not find anything specific. I also did a search but came up empty on that too. Any Help?

The "recommended" number of jumps for the static-line progression can be found at the beginning of each category in "Category at a Glance." In addition, there is a "Swim-Lane" Diagram on page 20 that gives a snapshot of all categories.

Hope that helps...

...Bigun

I used about 80 jumps between SL and 5 sec ff (rounds). I got to be pretty ace at SL but everytime I went to 5 sec ff I would pull as soon as I was out the door. Eventually I realised the SL progression system was not for me. :ph34r: I ended up doing AFF with no re-jumps.

The ISP no longer lists the as 5-sec..10-sec delays. It is broken up into categories. If you follow the recommended number of jumps per category, IAD or S/L should take 25 jumps if all goes well. The 26th jump would actually be the check dive for A-License. Works out perfectly for the new license requirements. Again, that is without repeating any jumps.

Hope this helps.

Rock

Five S/L's
One 5 second delay
One 10 second delay
a 2 way from 7,500.
an 8way from 12,500.

This was 1992.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334