ladyskydiver

Number of Jumps vs. pre-second visit to different DZ

About 30 I think - I was still a student doing RAPS and due to bad weather, not jumping, andwanting to see friends at a different DZ, I went and got my cat8 there instead.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

I was still a student when I visted my first non home DZ, if that answers your question.
Its okay, they won't bite you...;)...They may seem a little inquisitive, but they are only trying to keep you safe. You may even have to repeat training levels, or do an evaluation jump, but they really don't want to see you hurt yourself. Thassall...
Personally I really enjoy visiting different DZs, it opens up your outlook on things, and keeps you out of DZ politics...

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

They won't bite? ;) I don't mind inquisitive and them making sure that I'm safe - not only for myself but others as well. And staying out of the politics sounds great!!!! :)
Thank you, everyone, for your answers. It's greatly appreciated and helps.

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

>and keeps you out of DZ politics...

Yeah right.... Its a double edge sword. Comments and jokes that you say all the time can get you in trouble at a different DZ. I was jokeing with a friend on a plane at a new DZ about what each of us would do if one of the engines went out and stuff... we both got "talked to" about it since there was a student on the plane and we did'nt kiss up to them like the rest of the DZ does. Stuff that you might do at your home like "him's", skydiver prayers and other things might get you in trouble else where... just lay back and play it cool untill you can see what the vibe is and how the general DZ attitude on things are.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I had 12 jumps I think when I made my first visit to a different dropzone. It was also my first BOC jump, and first jump without an AAD. How fun! This began my awareness of the fact that there are "good" dropzones, and there are "bad" dropzones.

I made another trip to another DZ when I had 18 jumps, there I was actually trained how to USE a BOC rig, jumped with a Cypres and an instructor who wanted me to do a check-out jump. There I learned that DZ's aren't just "good" and "bad", but varrying degrees between them. This DZ I've consistently labeled one of the most profesional I've been to - Aerohio.

Visiting different DZ's as a student is a lot of fun, but it leaves you at risk for not being able to properly evaluate the DZ. I supose this really isn't any different then when you chose your first jump DZ, but still. It can be quite an eye opener to who different places are run.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Now I'm just a newbie to the sport (currently only 59 jumps), but on jump #42 I attended my first boggie at Skydive New Mexico (I did lot's of firsts that weekend and bought beer). I have since visited four dropzones outside of my home dropzone and that number should increased to possibly seven or maybe even eight before the year is out.

Home DZ:

- Mile-Hi Skydiving (Longmont, CO)

Visited:

- Skydive New Mexico (Albequerque, NM)
- Front Range Skydivers (Calhan, CO)
- Skydive the Rockies (Canon City, CO)
- Pacific Skydivers (Vancouver, BC) but didn't jump due to poor weather.

Hope to visit soon:

- Denver Skydivers (Brush, CO)
- Skydive Arizona (Eloy, AZ)
- Marana Skydiving (Marana, AZ)
- Skydive Dallas (Whitewright, TX)

Hope to visit before I die (or get too old/poor):

- Perris Valley Skydiving (Perris, CA)
- Skydive Elsinore (Lake Elsinore, CA)
- Skydive Deland (Deland, FL)
- Skydive City (Zephryhills, FL)
- Skydive Sebastian (Sebastian, FL)
- Raeford Parachute Center (Raeford, NC)
- WFFC (Rantoul or where ever it's held next)

I don't know, what other big/good ones did I miss?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Great list. There's a few on your list that I'm interested in checking out.

We're not a big DZ, but you missed Sky Knights. Come visit...we'd love to have you.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I was a static line student. I'd been to 3 DZs by the time I made my first freefall, about 2 months after I began jumping. My freefall was on my 8th instead of 5th or 6th jump, but SLs aren't as expensive. Had logbook, no real problems.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Five. SL jumps. No questions asked, none necessary.

I went to my second dropzone after doing my FJC making five jumps in a week at DZ #1, made 4 more SL jumps in one day at DZ #2, then winter came and after that I had a refresher course at DZ #3, made 1 SL jump there, went back for three days to DZ #1 to pick up 3 prepaid jumps and 2 more since I was there, another winter came and I did a second refresher course at DZ #3, 4 SL jumps and then freefall jump #1, followed by one more SL jump because of clouds and nerves. That same season I moved to DZ #4 at 44 total jumps. All of this was just convenient, no politics, people, gear or plane considerations were involved.

I now jump regularly at DZ #2, which for practical purposes is actually DZ #5 (6, actually, counting one previous boogie).

By some standards it took me a long time to get off the static line, both in time and number of jumps, but I've never regretted the number of jumps. Freefall isn't the be-all and end-all, I still (in some respects, again) love to fly canopy.
Johan.
I am. I think.

58. Two days ago! It was great fun to be at another dz, see how they do things, meet new people. Good learning experience, too. Having to land in a new place made me recognise some bad habits I had already formed, and can now fix before they get too ingrained.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

waivers get old.

I'm not sure if it's still this way, but the first time I visited The Ranch their waver was one page, front and back. That was refreshing.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

waivers get old.

I'm not sure if it's still this way, but the first time I visited The Ranch their waver was one page, front and back. That was refreshing.
Jim

Nope. The Ranch waiver is very traditional now. Sorry.

-tom buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Hi
The first 'second ' dz i visited was Calaresholm alberta in 1980

I had about 60 jumps and maybe 5 of them were rw.
My buddy had about 125 jumps and we entered the pumkin pass. we got a large one...A LARGE ONE. we passed by each other once or twice. I cannot beleive the senior jumps and our X-instructors let us do it. I am sure they were laughing their bums off.

Hutch

At Aerohio I recently completed a 3 page font and back waiver and requires you to copy a paragraph thats half a page to state you understand the dangers. It took longer to rewrite that stupid paragraph then it did to do the rest of the waiver. You initial a pagagraph thats the same thing then you have to write it again... pointless!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I had 35 jumps when my first home DZ made its winter trip, 2 years ago, started in DeLand, next day at 38 jumps visited 2nd DZ, Zhills, 2days later landed at 3rd DZ SkydiveAmericapb at 45 jumps and went home on #60. Its a great learning experience getting out to different DZ's. :)

"How do you keep your feet on the ground when you know you were born to fly?"

8 jumps..... since then i've jumped at way to many dz's to keep track of all of em...... one thing jumping at diffrent dz's will let ya do is never have a problem spoting a new dz from under your parachute.......