jimmytavino

do you still jump at the DZ where you made your first???

Made my first jump (static line, T-10) at a sport club which has since closed..:(..I DO still jump in the same geographic area,,, but have been a "regular" at about 5 different places, over the years.(and I have many many wonderful memories of friends and skydives made,,, at each one) ..... Most of those dropzones,, have since closed, or relocated. I have since found a real HOME, where I now skydive.:):)I got to thinking..... how many Drop Zone Dot Commers still skydive AT THE DZ WHERE THEY STARTED.??............what are the reasons..?.(besides" cause I love it there")???? what are the reasons why someone may have gone elsewhere??? and for those who DID change home DZ's??? did it work out?????:$;)

I still jump at the DZ where I did my first jump, it's my home DZ as well.

The club has been going strong for 30 years, but know we are experiencing trouble and might have to close down. I jump there simply because I don't want it to close down.

Gene Police: "YOU!! Out of the pool, NOW!!!"

I try to go to that "very first" DZ every year although it's 400kms away. I also try to go to they camps. There are those faces you learn to know years ago and you see them only few times in a year

"You can call me Mike"

There is no dz left where I learned and spent my first 6 years of jumping; it closed down after a plane crash. :(

I did get to jump in my "home air" this year anyway though. Organized a small boogie/reunion for those who used to jump there. What fun to see and party with my friends from 6-12 years ago; it was even more fun to jump with the ones that are still current! :)

Nope! But then, you already know that...

After starting at Frontier SKydivers in upstate NY,
First I moved to Clevleand, and jumped at Aerohio. Then I moved to Chicago and jumped at Chicagoland Skydiving.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yep, still jumping at the DZ I made my first jump at...it has since moved from the original location. And well it was 7 years between tandem 1 and tandem 2 (which was done at a different DZ, skydive the rockies).
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

No, and I rarely ever jump at my current home DZ.
I'm a longhaul truckdriver and I make most of my jumps while on the road, this is really coolB| because I get to jump at so many different DZ's, out of different aircraft, see how various Dz's are run/organized and meet so many awesome people:)I currently have jumped in 33 states and 54 DZ's.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I started in Missoula, Mont. while in college during the early 70's. B.J. Worth was one of my instructors. They have since moved to Stevensville, Mt. and I jump there whenever I can. The guy that owns the place started jumping the same year I did. It's got to be one of the most beautiful settings ever to jump. Wilderness on one side. Mountains and peaks going up to 10,000 feet, with National Forest on the other side. I can't wait to jump there again. Steve1

Did my first 2 tandems at Marana while on vacation. Had so much fun I found the closest DZ when I got home. It was Frontier Skydivers near Buffalo where I still jump (haha, still !! 1st tandem was in May 2002).

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

The short answer is - no.
I made my first 13 jumps at Chicago-Hammond Airport in Lansing, IL. When they closed I started jumping at Hinckley Parachute Center (aka Phoenix Skydiving... aka Chicagoland Skydiving) which is my current "home" dropzone.

Due to their close proximity I also jump(ed) at Skydive Sandwich, Skydive Illinois in Morris and Skydive Chicago in Ottawa.

Most definately, and will continue to do so. They are such a close knit group of skydivers, you would think that the were a stictly Cessna DZ, but we jump a turbine every weekend, barring some unforseen circumstances. Great group of folks, maybe 30 or so core members, which translates that if you are packed, why yes you can most definately get on the next load. Awesome place and great atmosphere.

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

great responses ,,, one and all....
What a wonderful sport....
where each of us can feel so comfortable and "At Home" on so many different Dz's in so many different places...... and the GREAT thing ..... is that every one of us,, is correct... and properly proud,,,,
of the drop zones which we frequent......
I was glad not to hear to many "horror stories",, about people who had to move on to another DZ due to safety concerns, or inadequate training , or clashing personalities.... Very little of THAT ,,, it seems....bravo...
.."support your local D Z ".
skydive hard ,, skydive often,, skydive with friends,, skydive with love....

First jump was in Palm Springs, CA and that DZ is closed now. Bummer, since landing near a golf course could get pretty interesting!;) Good small-DZ atmosphere and I'm close friends with the instructors from there still.

I guess you just never forget your first...:)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I started jumping in 6/97 at the east texas skydiving club. it's a cessna dz in gladewater, tx. i learned the basics of freeflying from their cessnas :D but a couple or 3 yrs later steve decided to sell the place and relocated to houston. when the new owners took over i didn't like some of the changes so i started going to houston to jump and have ever since. a few of the people i started jumping with are still there but mostly it's now a different crowd. but i still go there occasionally to jump and say hi. some of my favorite jumps and skydiving memories happened there.

levin
vSCR#17

no, my dad's dz closed down :( (no more free jumps >:()

i jump at Skydive Wayne County, which was aerodrome skysports, which was Waynesville Skydiving were my dad first started skydiving. but waynesville skydiving moved to richmond, indiana. but it's been the same owners all along (steve and Janie Stewart), but now they have pasted off to their daughter Jamie. but i choose this dz because they were old friends of my dads (and have known me since i was 3).

later

I moved to Tennessee from Minnesota a year after I started skydiving so, I only jump at the dz I started at when I go home to visit (in the summer).

I'm so bored, I may just be a post whore today.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.