chriswelker

How much does it REALLY cost to SKYDIVE?

Approximatly $6063 up to $7737 plus when purchasing a complete new gear setup.

I have overheared other skydivers telling tandem passengers "Well it's only $75 for the ground school, and $175 for your first 3 levels of AFF, and then just $150 for your last 4 jumps, then after you complete AFF your jumps will only cost you between $16-$20.

Unfortunatly most potential skydivers never do the multiplication in this equation, get started and then stop or quit due to a lack of funds.

When someone asks you how much does skydiving cost tell them that it is EXPENSIVE!

I have done the following break down:

Instructed skydiving lessons: $1000-$2000 depending on the method being trained(S/L, AFF, IAD, TM progression).

After they have completed training cost of jumps are between $8-$20.

Gear rental is usually $20-$25 dollars if you choose to go this route.

Used airworthy gear without a cypres $1500-$2200.

Used airworthy gear with a cypres $2000-$3500

New container (Javelin Odyssey with a 25% discount and no options) $1237.50 or $1522.20 with rings K/L pc.
New reserve (Rave Dash M with 25% discount) $793.50
New main (Nitron with 25% discount) $1350
Cypres $850 to $1150 depending on where you purchase from and the German exchange rate.

Altimeter $138-$225
Jumpsuit $160- $350
Goggles $6-$16

The above items are the things that you need to complete a skydive ater you have made your 20 jumps.

Then there are the optional accessories!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard shell helmet $39.50-$325
Audible alt. $171-$291
Gloves $15-$45
Gear bag $65-$150
Helmet bag $35-$60
Log book $6.95
Log book cover $12.95-15
Other than a RW suit $100-$300
Hook knife $6-$30
Flotation gear $2.95-$165

Yes it does add up.

Blue Ones,
Chris Welker

Yes it does add up.

I have spent more than 11k since July 14th on my skydiving habit. This includes my initial Tandem jump, AFF training (I had to repeat my Level V jump), another 29 jumps using rental gear, 48 jumps using my own gear, my rig (cypres equiped), a 2nd Sabre 2 main complete with it's own risers PC and dbag (which I haven't jumped yet), one chest mount, one wrist mount altimeter, Pro Track, Bonehead Boomerang Helmet, one RW jumpsuit, one freefly jumpsuit (haven't taken deliver yet) and various skydiving books and videos.

Yes it does add up. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have an idea how much it's cost me, and I even have an account in Quicken where the gear, jumps, and gas to the DZ's go.

I'll tell y'all something else: I don't have the nerve to hit the button that runs a total. The exact number lives in fuzzy obscurity while the rest of me enjoys the world's most rewarding and best sport with the coolest people.

One piece of advice: buy good used gear whenever possible as long as you can verify its airworthiness. You can save $1,000s over time and still be safe, although not necessarily color-coordinated.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I can add (barely). I knew by the time I started AFF what kind of financial committment I was making. I did it anyway.

I don't think anyone is blindsided. It's not like students are presented a bill for $10,000 six months after their first jump (unless they put everything on a credit card).
Skydiving is for cool people only

I started to add up the costs at one point in time. I have 47 jumps and chose the AFF route (with 1 tandem thrown in for fun) and bought new gear. I stopped adding up the money. Yeah...the sport is expensive. But, it is fun and worth every penny that I spend. I can't take the money with me when I'm gone....so why not play now and live life to it's fullest? Money can be replaced...people can not. And, I have met some of the coolest people since I've started skydiving. Would I give up jumping to have more money in the bank? No. Would I spend more money to jump (if I had it)? Yes.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Not much if you have the right assests. :)
I went tandem progression and with the promise that my last tandem jump would be topless, I only ever paid for beer and slots (of course I knew the people at the DZ beforehand).

My boyfriend was my instructor for all of my other jumps so once again, just slots were paid. And since he is now a wonderful camerman with incoming cash he usually pays for all of the jumps that I make now. I love this arrangement!

Yes it is expensive to start! Although I bought my first rig on my 12th jump and never regretted that move! I sold that same rig after about 100 jumps for the same that I bought it for, it now costs me $15.00 a jump although I buy 200 at a time instead of $18.00 per jump!B|B|
cool Conway 1085B|

It sure as hell ain't cheap. But there are ways to make it cheaper...ie: pack student gear. By the end of my first season I could flat pack a Manta with my eyes closed. And one good thing about living up north, is that the off-season gives an opportunity to save $ for things you need for next season: New Cypres, canopy, line-set, car or maybe just a plane ticket south[:/]

I got nuthin

In just jump tickets it comes to around 1,000/hr.

It can be less (Mullins Boggie till ya pukes) or more (SDC for 20.00 a jump).

I have over 40 hrs of freefall, 2 rigs, a camera setup, and somewhere around 50 hrs in tunnels. (some of that is Ft.Bragg and was "Free", some more is coaching).

I don't really want to figure it out.

Its a lot. But I live on the DZ in a trailer and don't regret it.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I usually tell people that it's more expensive than cross country skiing and less expensive than drag racing. But over the 24 years, between instructing and rigging I figure I've broken just about even. Not instructing anymore so costs have went up. If you're willing to give something back to the sport you can cut the costs considerably. And I haven't packed a student rig since we got rid of T-10's.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I think people should know exactly what they are getting into.

Ok, I was just kinda joking in my previous post, but . . . if that's the case and in the interest of full disclosure, what else should we tell a student walking on the DZ for the first time about the sport?

Hook turns? Drugs? STDs? Broken homes? Living in a van down by the river?

When it comes to talking to people about the full impact skydiving -could- have on their lives, I think the financials are probably the -least- important thing to be worrying about.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ya know Chris, I know you and I think your heart is in the right place but if someone had told me 2 years ago I would drop 10-20k to skydive i would have balked and maybe backed out. While they didnt try to hide the fact that it takes a chuck of money, they described it in terms that didnt hit so close to home. eg. youll start selling off your other toys, stop having other hobbies, and your friends will want to know why you never come around anymore. Yea we as skydivers should prepare students for the expense, but if someone really loves the sport, they will find a way. I did. Sold my jeep, my harley, and horse. Hell I bought that Nitro 120 with money left over from my house sale when I moved closer to the DZ!
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865