superstu

When did you go to an elliptical canopy?

I haven't flown one yet so I can't answer you. :) Of course why am I posting in this thread then you may ask? I don't know except to say that I'm probably just killing time post whoring. But I will likely demo one in Rantoul and I suspect I'll have 300+ jumps by then. But I'm not sure when I'd buy one. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

>But I will likely demo one in Rantoul and I suspect I'll have
>300+ jumps by then. But I'm not sure when I'd buy one.

Be careful!! The WFFC is among the most crowded landing patterns on the planet. You can't open high so you have only a few seconds to practice flares, try turns etc and often those are impractical due to traffic. If you do demo a canopy it's a _very_ good idea to plan on landing away from the main landing area.

doesn't sound like such a good place to demo a canopy? Especially if you can't open high.>:(

As a sidenote, do most people get semi elliptical canopies right off student status?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I had about 500 jumps on a Sabre 190, tried three different Stilettos (190, 170, 150) before buying the 150, put about 600 on that before getting my Vengeance 135, have about 400 on that now, and thinking about a Velocity 120 :)This progression seems to have worked well for me, and aside from losing a little knee skin from time to time, I've never spanked myself with any of them. My advice: take a lot of time before moving to an elliptical and downsizing, or go to one of the canopy schools, these guys seem to know their shit.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Be careful!! The WFFC is among the most crowded landing patterns on the planet. You can't open high so you have only a few seconds to practice flares, try turns etc and often those are impractical due to traffic. If you do demo a canopy it's a _very_ good idea to plan on landing away from the main landing area.

Thanks for the info and based on my Eloy holiday boogie experience last year, it is a point well taken. If I do demo, I should plan to land off. I was only thinking about Rantoul as a good demo time since all the manufactorers will be there. I will be coming down in altitude though, so as long as I don't downsize with the demo, I should be fine. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Let's see. I bought my first square at about 500 jumps; my first semi-elliptical at almost 1200 -- no elliptical yet, but at that rate it'll be awhile.

Not everyone ends up there.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

WFFC is a really bad demo place... even if you plan on landing off you still can't pull high. The only way you can pull high is if you get on a CRW load and jump at the same time and place as the Dawgs. Then its only one option of clear and pulls.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

my first eliptical canopy that I owned was a crossfire 149 that I bought when I had about 70 jumps (1.3 wingload) first jump on eliptical was jump number 40 something on a stiletto 190 at 1.05 wingload. did a handfull of jumps on that then a 170 then I jumped mine... not the progression that I would suggest for anyone though... it was a really fast progression and I am lucky I didnt get hurt...
-yoshi

I went to a eliptical at around 250 jumps.. Crossfire 129 @ 1.7:1.. Every thing went down hill from there. Concentrated heavily on canopy control, trafic patterns, and fundamentals of landings..

I have never gone back to a square.. and I dont plan on it...

Depends how you define elliptical and high performance.

I had about 300 jumps when I first jumped a Sabre; about 650 jumps when I first jumped a Spectre; about 700 when I first jumped a Safire; about 750 when I jumped a Diablo. All of the above could be considered high performance; any except the Sabre could be considered elliptical.

All of the above could be considered high performance; any except the Sabre could be considered elliptical.

Well, then, I was on an hp elliptical at jump number 12....
Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Don't have my log book in front of me but...

I did 65 jumps my first year on Mantas and Cruiselites, then in year two.. maybe 10 jumps in I bought a semi eliptical BT-60 (170 sq ft.), by the end of year 3 (at about 150-170 jumps) I had put jumps on Sabre 135, Spectre 135, Stiletto 150 and 135. At the beginning of this season I bought a stiletto 135.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

I still haven't! I did 400ish jumps on a PD170, 200 on a Sabre 150, another 200 on a Sabre 135. I was going to demo a Stiletto 135 this weekend but I wasn't too happy with the winds so decided not to. I think I now feel ready to try an elliptical canopy, but I will wait for the right conditions.

Vicki

As far as a higher-performance elliptical, I had a knock-out Sabre opening at Quincy at about 750 jumps. I took a poll about the slowest opening canopies (excluding PD because I was pissed about the Sabre). I then made a production about taking my bleeding body to the Icarus tent, cutting away my Sabre, and demoing (is that a word?) and buying a Crossfire. I love it. Of course, this stunt didn't put me in a good bargaining position.

On 99% of all jumps, a lower experienced person under a moderate elliptical - Stilleto, Crossfire, that sort of thing, would be fine and they would love the canopy. But, the lower experience level could get them into trouble in a last-minute situation.

I've watched my 20-300 or more jump newer skydivers make wrong decisions when faced with a last-minute problem, like doing a 180 at 50 feet because they were nearing an obstacle or off the wind-line. Because of what they were jumping, I watched these skydivers get up, brush off their rig, and only have a bruise to show for it. However, if they had been under an elliptical, it would have been a 911 call.

Staying away from a fully ellipital until you can consistantly make good, last minute decisions about landing, even under bad conditions, gives you room to make mistakes. As soon as you buy a canopy that dives at the ground when you turn, you'd better not ever be in a position to make those mistakes, or be willing to live (maybe) with the consequences.

I had about 300 jumps when I first jumped a Sabre; about 650 jumps when I first jumped a Spectre; about 700 when I first jumped a Safire; about 750 when I jumped a Diablo. All of the above could be considered high performance; any except the Sabre could be considered elliptical.

I didnt know that a Spectre was considered an elliptical...

Anyways...I had about 209 jumps when I got my first Stiletto...loaded at about 1.2.

As far a going to an elliptical, I would also take a look at your ability to consistancy to flare evenly. One of the biggest things that I see people do is flare unevenly and turn themselves into the ground. This can be more of a serious problem when you start getting into ellipticals. Most people dont realize that they even do it...it really helps to have someone film your landings so you can see what your hands are really doing while you flare. Most people chalk up a crappy landing to a "gust"...when in actuality it is themselves that fly their canopy that way.

I think you need to define "high performance" and "eliptical".

Sabre 2's could be considered both, but many DZ's are using them for first jump students.

Myself, I went from a lightly loaded triathlon to a heavily loaded Stiletto at around 350 jumps.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.