rendezvous

HALO ( 30000) at WFFC, is it worth the experience for $350

Just wanted to see what people feel about doing a HALO at WFFC for $350. Sounds a bit steep but is it worth doing it once. After all a Tandem with the video cost the same and that was definitely worth the experience.

When Apple Valley was open I spent 2 years teaching high altitude jumping to skydivers. We provided everything need, ground training, O2 equipment and the ride to 30,000. Believe me, if it is done "right" it is worth at least $350. If it is not done "right" it can get you killed.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have done a hand full of high alti jumps (23k) and I wouldnt want to go any higher.. I prob wont do anymore 23k jumps.. my head isnt all that sensitive to jumping, but the last one I did I had a headache for 2 hours and my ears were ringing for about 30 min afterwards... Ill just take several jumps from 13.5 instead..

-yoshi

Did a 24,000' from Mullins' king air last year. It was kind of cool being in freefall that long, but basically, just a skydive. Wouldn't pay an extra $310 for another 6000 feet.

You're not paying the extra money for "just another 6000 feet".

You're paying for the training, rental of the HALO gear (mask/O2 bottle/military gear if desired) and a training jump from 15,00 with the gear. There are also only half as many slots per load, so those have to be covered also.

Not trying to change anyone's mind, either it's worth it to you or it isn't. Just keep in mind what you are really paying for when you do your cost/benefit analysis.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Right...but why are you renting the HALO gear? So that you can go 6000 feet higher. Unless you have a desire to jump with a bail out bottle and think that's worth the money.

Also, you only get the training jump if you go to their home facility.

"We will provide you with training jumps from 15,000 ft. (Memphis Only)"

There seems to be some discrepancy in the materials. At one point, someome (Mike, I think), posted that the price included a jump from 15,000; as you pointed out, the web site linked from the WFFC site states "Memphis Only".

Who knows for sure? Guess it's up in the air for now.
(Sorry for the pun:$)

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Right...but why are you renting the HALO gear? So that you can go 6000 feet higher. Unless you have a desire to jump with a bail out bottle and think that's worth the money.

Why do you think you are renting HALO gear? Do you think you can survive without it at 30,000 feet? Your time of useful conscientious is measured in seconds at that altitude!
Sparky

When did I say you don't need halo gear? I said it's not worth the cash for the extra 6000 feet. Someone else said "yeah, but you're getting halo gear". So what? Unless you have some strong desire to jump with halo gear, there's no reason to do it unless you want that extra 6000 feet for the additional charge of $310.

Just wanted to see what people feel about doing a HALO at WFFC for $350. Sounds a bit steep but is it worth doing it once. After all a Tandem with the video cost the same and that was definitely worth the experience.

I paid the same $350 for a single B-17 jump with Johnny and Darrel about 3 months ago. Some stuff is just a one time deal. Do it once and move on.

How high you going? Isn't the Mullins King Air going to 22k for 40 bucks?

That would be a good deal. But I believe they are talking about going to 30k MSL for $350.

23k for 49$
30k for 350$ - include training, bailout bottle (very important), military HALO rig if you choose. We're doing raffles for this as well. 10$. Once 35 tickets are sold, one gets drawn, wins, and on to the next group.

Great, a high risk jump is going to be handled with something as frivolous as a raffle. Whatever. My 2 cents is if you plan on doing a 30K jump, do it right, not at a freakin' boogie. Find someone who knows what they are doing and does it right.

My suggestion would be SkyDance SkyDiving. They have been doing it for quite a number of years, with an extremely professional organizer brought in each time to coordinate the event. Chamber ride is required so you can see the physiological effects of 30K+ altitudes before you go.

It's not just a longer skydive.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Great, a high risk jump is going to be handled with something as frivolous as a raffle. Whatever.

The suggestion to do a raffle came from some who's been jonesing to go to skydance to do one, but couldn't afford the trip. People need to make their own decisions and do their own research prior to taking on anything new such as this. Where they choose to do this is totally up to personal choice.

Tell Rod hello for me at your boogie.

edit 'cause I can't spell

Great, a high risk jump is going to be handled with something as frivolous as a raffle. Whatever. My 2 cents is if you plan on doing a 30K jump, do it right, not at a freakin' boogie. Find someone who knows what they are doing and does it right.

My suggestion would be SkyDance SkyDiving. They have been doing it for quite a number of years, with an extremely professional organizer brought in each time to coordinate the event. Chamber ride is required so you can see the physiological effects of 30K+ altitudes before you go.

[url]

$350 is a lot of money to spend on a 30k HALO jump. I just wonder who the current oxygen tech and MFF jumpmaster is who is running the operation. I hvae been there and done that more times than I care to recall and can't say that I ever got any satisfaction out of it. Too much positive pressure from your regulator blowing out of your mask and into your goggles. Too much shit hanging off my rig. Level one trainups where you land two dropzones off from your primary target in the middle of the night. No thanks. Still, if they need a current MFFJM, there are more than a few who regularly post here who could definitely keep people from getting hurt.

Chuck