jonnym84

When was your first reserve ride?

Jump ~ 32

Stupidity in body position (read: not arching and was actually looking down and back leading to a few flips... did the same trick twice and went for the reserve instead)

I've learned since then to relax a lot more and just do what you are taught... duh :S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

One cutaway so far, at jump number 99. It was the "kindest" sort of situation for a malfunction that I could imagine. I hadn't jumped in a few weeks so I wanted to go solo and open high to play with the canopy. There was one tandem on the load, so the tandem master told me I could go last if I opened at 7,000 feet. The canopy (215 ft2 Falcon) opened with three broken lines on the left side, and started a slow turn that quickly picked up speed. I found I couldn't counter it with the opposite toggle, and when the spin built to the point where the canopy was horizontal with me I chopped it. Under the reserve by 6,000 ft. Kept the handles but lost the freebag. So I had lots of altitude, lots of time, all in all ideal circumstances to experience the first cutaway.

Jump No36 Log book entry reads"Oh shit!problem good canopy but can't get at the toggles cos the risers are twisted[probably due to a bag rotation].Decisions,decisions(i hate f!*king decisions)i used to be indecisive but i'm not sure anymore)f!*k it,cutaway,deploy reserve 3000' nice everything!

Thats what it says,approx550 non reserve rides since!
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Jump #20

Seasonal DZ, opening weekend. It was Earth day 2002... nice on the ground but still bloody cold at altitude. Fourth jump of the day and I'd carried on my student progression ot 20 second delays.

Did my tasks and had a grand to spare before my assigned pull altitude of 4k. flew flat and happy for a 5 count then pulled.

...then another 5 count with nothing. YIKES!! PC in tow - shoulder check --aaah there it i....

Waaaagh! Slider is 'stuck' at the top (it just might been an actual snivel from a Cruiselite) but I was still cookin at 2500 ft so i chopped.

24 foot Lopo from near-terminal. I couldn;t believe how BIG and how QUIET a round was.... even though it was a small one :o.... and how brutal the opening was.

Winds pushed me over congested areas but set me down with a sideways PLF on soft spring grass - about 30 feet long of a half demolished building :o:o:o.

I de-geared, debriefed, went to buy my case, and was on the sunset plane (2 loads later).

Reserve ride was the Best thing that happened to me, but now I wanna try to fly a round for FUN

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Jump #442. Was filming a tandem, pulled after I filmed their opening. Had four line twists and it was twisting up the opposite way the canopy was spinning. Chopped and under reserve by 2500.

Next jump was a night jump that evening.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

jump #34: another jumper opened above me, my parachute opened faster then his, he fell 1 meter away from me (we were facing each other and both had :o ) and his parachute caught my spring pilot chute and wrapped it around my canopy, had to chop due to a spin, opened a round reserve, landed in a backyard surounded with trees, power lines, houses and a church

jump # 250 something: jumped a friend's Ace 135 which he packed, it opened with line twists and immediately spinned... i liked this one very much!!!

edit: i have now 580 jumps

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

#22 my fault I forgot to turn on the astra AAD before the load, looked down at the light and turned it on in the plane (at about 3000') :(
Jumped from 13000 deployed at 4500' at the same time the astra fired.
Two:S canopies out both ok after I removed my head out of the reserve lines. Down plane in about 3 sec so I cut away the main all good by 2500'
now I have about 146 jumps.:S

Jump 689,
Switched back to my VX after a demo the night before. The VX was on risers in a d-bag w/ the pilot chute. Apparently I got the risers swapped.
After a solid 4-way comp dive, I ended up with 4 revolutions of line twists. Got out of them by 1600', and 'shit!' I was going backwards. Kaching! In the saddle under reserve by 1000', landed on the DZ proper.
Lost the freebag, but recovered the main (had to cut down a few trees to get it).
I now unpack all mains to check them after hookup.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Jump 575 at couchfreaks a few weeks ago. It was also my first save as a rigger.;)

Ken

Ha - I saw that (had been holding your hand a few seconds earlier). Bag lock, if I recall correctly.

Still waiting for my first at 1300 jumps. I'm in no hurry.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

newbies screw up pack jobs. This pushes the stats way up. Look at the types of mals listed, a lot of them can be caused by packing errors (no offence to anyone) Once people have a few jumps under their belt and know their pack job more thoroughly they tend to have different types of mal... like spun up highly loaded elipticals.

Besides this is a thread for "first mal" - stands to reason the ones reported would be in the lower umbers.

newbies screw up pack jobs. This pushes the stats way up. Look at the types of mals listed, a lot of them can be caused by packing errors (no offence to anyone) Once people have a few jumps under their belt and know their pack job more thoroughly they tend to have different types of mal... like spun up highly loaded elipticals.

Besides this is a thread for "first mal" - stands to reason the ones reported would be in the lower umbers.

Sorry...not for me. Both of my mals - someone else had packed. They are the reason that I learned to pack although I hate it.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Jump 320,
Broken steering line on a StarTracI, could have flown it but........it was military (owned) gear and I wanted to get my first one out of the way. Chop-swoosh a beautiful yellow Sharpchuter. The cool thing was the Blackhawk I was jumping picked me up in some farmers driveway. The other cool thing was when I lost the freebag the team rigger said, "no problem dude, we got lots of those.":)

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

First mal was on jump 1601, my first jump on a tandem rig. Had to do the solo, didn't have enough ass under the thing, sniveled for a couple grand then tension knotted bad.
Only mal after that was at about 3050, another tension knot on a tandem (this time with a passenger).
No mals on my personal rigs yet (knock on wood).
Miami

Hmm, first reserve ride was 1973 or 4. It was an intentional using single shot capewells and a front mounted, pilot chuted 17' GQ conical reserve. The reserve was overdue a repack, so decided to see what a cut-away was like in the process.

Second was 1977 - first jump on a brand new, first jump Strato Cloud. It blew out couple lines on the opening which promptly wrapped the slider. It was a bit ugly so I got off. It was a piggy-back system with tapewells (capewell male and female hardware but the movable parts replaced with webbing and velcro), and a 26' Navy Conical. My letter to Paraflite after the event did not generate any acknowlegement that a blow up first jump of their (at the time) premier product was unusual.

No cutaways since - but who knows, I'm going jumping this coming weekend. Maybe Murphy will visit, as I have a fresh reserve repack.

Blue Skies,

fergbird B|