Mad47

How often do you "trash" pack?

When time is running out and you rig is not packed there is always a choice between packing in a hurry and doing it carefully but skipping the load. It would be interesting to have some statistics for packing attitudes. ;)

i"ve been to a couple of boogies where i have missed loads because i refuse to rush myself packing. It sucks - but you need to take you time and do it right. I would be pretty embarrassed if i cut away due to sloppy and poor packing - missing a load is ABSOLUTLY no excuse for throwing your canopy in yor bag.
I've watched a couple folks trash pack at boogies - i've seen some pretty amazing things stuffed in a d-bag. More guts than i have.

Blue Skies,
=========Shaun ==========

I generally trash pack my Stiletto. I just make sure the slider is at the stops, Shake the lines to the center and the fabric to the outside. Once I clear the stabilizers I just roll it up psycho-pack style and stuff it in the bag.

Consistant soft, on-heading openings every time.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I generally trash pack my Stiletto. I just make sure the slider is at the stops, Shake the lines to the center and the fabric to the outside. Once I clear the stabilizers I just roll it up psycho-pack style and stuff it in the bag.

My canopy has been packed the exact same way for long enough that the material has the creases that this can be done very easily. When it goes over my shoulder is is basically already flaked. However, i take the extra time because my canopy is kind of old and has seem better days - i don't think it can handel a lot of the extra friction that could be eliminated by a super-neat packjob. Also, for peace of mind.

Blue Skies,
=========Shaun ==========

What is a "trash" pack? Sorry for the question, but I'm new and when I hear the term I envision cramming the chute into the bag willy-nilly and getting on the next airplane. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Aren't there standards in packing?

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

I used to trash pack occasionally... until I trash packed a sabre I was jumping, and WHAM! I decided it was better to do at least a halfway decent pack job then get those big black bruises on my legs again. :S

Whenever I trash packed, I would be extra careful to do my cutaway/reserve handle practice pulls a few times, just to be safe.

MB 3528, RB 1182

clean hurry pro pack = 6 minutes (don't try to talk to me in these times :P ), I guess i could save 1 minute packing trash style. But I apreciate too much the comfort at pull time when I know what's in my back... no trashpack for me B|

The question would be: What exactly is trash pack?
If I look at the different methods at our drop zone, some people need a couple minutes to pack, others up to 30 minutes. I would say my pack is kinda trashy. I route my lines (separated by steering, back and front), count my cells, push them together in the middle of the canopy. Pick up my center cell and twist it a couple times and lay it on the floor. This takes no more than 30 - 45 seconds, then bagging which is much more time consuming.

I have always nice openings and never ever thought it might not open. BTW it is a almost new Sabre2.

So, would you call this a trash pack?

The question is when dont I trash pack?

I'm kinda the same way, my canopy (hornet 135) has pretty consistent openings with my pack method. The line groups are color coded, my pack jobc onsists of me running the lines out putting them over my shoulder folding the left and right cells (nose) into the center cell pulling the tail up and over and then the normal lay on the parachute and sfold into the bag.

I tried this method with another canopy (stilleto) and got the crap wacked out of me... so it must be just my canopy you can do this with :)

i can pack in 8 - 10 min..

Easy way for a sub 6 minute pack job...

Stow the brakes
3 line check as you walk to the canopy
Count the nose cells tuck them between the knees
Open the slider and push it to the slider stops
Cloverleaf the slider
Grab tail at warning label, 8 flicks of material to get to the nose, roll material around C&D lines inside the pack job
Hold warning label under chin, flick the left side and roll
Bring the tail around and roll

That takes about 60 seconds to a minute and a half once the brakes are stowed.

Bag it ant its another 60 seconds for that. Stow the lines (If you are that type of jumper :ph34r:) and its 45 seconds for that. Put the bag in and close the container about another minute and a half.

Total time is about 6 minutes but its far far from neat... and if you know how to freestow... :ph34r:

When ever I know I'm taking my birdman suit out on the next jump I'll take a few minutes more and make things a littler neater.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Easy way for a sub 6 minute pack job...

Well, now, it takes less time to pack a handkerchief, too:)
Continuity check, brakes untwisted and carefully stowed, slider up and cloverleafed, lines inside the canopy & stabilizers reasonably clear.

Decent stows.

The rest is gravy. But it takes me a good 15 minutes because I'm rarely in a hurry...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

6 minutes ??LaughLaugh That's time enough to clean it up perfectly AND stow the lines Tongue Come on phree, you're exagerating aren't you?

LOL.. coming from someone who took hissweet time flat packing yesterday ;)
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

6 minutes ??:D:D That's time enough to clean it up perfectly AND stow the lines :P Come on phree, you're exagerating aren't you?

a old buddy of mine, RIP, i watched best his time trashpacking, AND jumping it after, at 2:43.........
i couldnt come close..........

no hes not gone from a bad packjob either.......

I clear the nose, split the slider and wrap the tail, and shove it in the bag....as long as the lines are stowed neatly I dont worry too much about it, I get very nice openings consistently.....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.