does anyone here jump for free?

I don't think anyone jumps for "free". There is an exchange of consideration somewhere in the deal. Instructors, camera flyers and other employees of a DZ exchange labor for their jumps. Teams get reduced rates in exchange for the good will and prestige they bring. The guy that won the 100 jumps just by posting the fact here is exchanging good will. Even the DZO doesn't jump for free. When its all figured out he/she probably pays more then any of us.:P:S
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

For the time being, I am heeding (spelling?) your advice about NOT working for a DZ and instead just fun jumping. When you think about it, very few people who work at the DZ actually do fun jumps. :S

That's what i'm saying. AFF instructors/ tandem masters have to jump with students. Just fall on belly, pull when it's time. Nothing fun, no tracking, no freeflying, no flailing, just fall and deploy... oh, and pay attention to students. At first I thought these would be awesome careers, but the more I think about it, the more i'd rather not pursue them. Of course, with the $$ you make, you can go make fun jumps on days off... but it must get old jumping 7 days a week, no? I mean, I don't see it now cuz i'm having a blast, but it has to get tiring. Maybe cool as a part time job,tho, pays for ur fun jumps:).

Just my thoughts.
Angela.

I get paid to do camera and video jumps. I'm at least a year from recovering my equipment expenses. Two rigs, cameras, suits. I'll break even in another 400 or so paid tandems/AFF videos. At that point Murphy says I'll have to ditch my helmet and replace all that stuff.

None of it's free, it's just different kinds of fun.

Plus there are responsibilities that go along with being a DZO or staff member. However, if we are strictly speaking on a jump ticket basis, I'd bet that a certain local friend of ours that was ON THE WINNING FREE FLY TEAM AT THE WORLD GAMES just this month "jumps for free".B|
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I get free jumps when I do demos.

I have done around thirty demos for high schools, middle schools, race car events, Vietnam Memorial Wall events, Armed Forces Day at Ft. Bliss, Balloon Festivals, Museums, etc.

Added to the free jump is the publicity and we always jump smoke and flags. They are a blast. It is a real thrill to jump into an unfamiliar place.

Clint D-24352

As a parachute instructor I have only paid for 2 of the 900+ jumps I have done in the last 2 years or so.

However, I was a "proper" soldier for 17 years, have been on operational tours of Northern Ireland, The Gulf (91), Former Yugoslavia, etc. etc.

The job I do at the moment is a 6 day a week job including nearly every weekend working upto 14 hours a day during the summer.

Of the 900+ jumps i have done since i have been in the job around 700 have been below 5k, I have not earned a penny for any video work I have done although I have all my own camera gear, and less than 50 have been genuine non working FUN jumps.

That said I have done 900+ jumps in 2 years had a trip to Elsinore, Ampuria, 2 weeks skiing in Bavaria and another trip to Perris coming up in Jan 04.

All that and the British Tax payer picks up the tab, so I guess I cant complain.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

For the time being, I am heeding (spelling?) your advice about NOT working for a DZ and instead just fun jumping. When you think about it, very few people who work at the DZ actually do fun jumps. :S

That's what i'm saying. AFF instructors/ tandem masters have to jump with students. Just fall on belly, pull when it's time. Nothing fun, no tracking, no freeflying, no flailing, just fall and deploy... oh, and pay attention to students. At first I thought these would be awesome careers, but the more I think about it, the more i'd rather not pursue them. Of course, with the $$ you make, you can go make fun jumps on days off... but it must get old jumping 7 days a week, no? I mean, I don't see it now cuz i'm having a blast, but it has to get tiring. Maybe cool as a part time job,tho, pays for ur fun jumps:).

Just my thoughts.
Angela.

You can have a lot of fun after breakoff, Im paid to swoop what better reason than that is there? When I buy a ticket its usually to 5'000 and thats where students/tandems ect deploy, best of both worlds if you ask me.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I put money on account, and until that is gone I jump for free! When it is all gone, all I have to do is bolster the account and again I am jumping by just going to manifest and asking to get on the load.
Is that what you're talking about?
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.