sasteam

Is skydiving humor funny or insensitive and inappropriate?

I think we all know the consequences of skydiving can be grave and that incidents result in genuine human tragedy, suffering, and sorrow. But, does that mean we aren't supposed to laugh at comics like, http://www.ucomics.com/closetohome/2003/09/14/?

Are there cultural norms in skydiving that aren't generally taught like, "don't joke about (potential, not actual) accidents/incidents because they aren't funny"?

In acting, it's OK to say, "break a leg." In skydiving, probably not so funny.

Are there any related superstitions that are widely held?

Curious,
Scott
Crazy Ivan and the Crew (2005-2006)
Team Insane (2004-2005)
Insane in the Airplane (2003-2004)

This might sound a bit distasteful but: I was jumping in a 3-way, good jump, packed, went to manifest and one of the guys had manifested without us and got on an earlier lift. After we'd taken the piss for a while and told him he was no longer our friend the 3rd guy leaned over and wispered in my ear "I hope he dies on lift 16!". I was pissing myself for ages, it was just too funny.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

A work colleague noticed this very same comic you posted in the papers the other day, cut it out and gave it to me. So I then put it up in my cube above a picture of myself landing my canopy. But at the same time, it's also next to Holly's memorial leaflet that I got LouDiamond to send to me when he attended Holly's funeral.

So I have some skydiving humor and seriousness visibly up for myself and others to view. Don't take life too seriously, but don't take life for granted either.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Honestly - humor like that angers me because its portrayal of our sport - but granted, it helps to keep numbers lower than they might otherwise be which conversly equals less clutter in the air ;);)

Man am I one selfish bastard! ;);)

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I think its funny as shit. Joking about dying is hilarious as long as someone close to you doesnt hear you that doesn't "get it". (i.e. gf that doesnt dive, mom, dad, etc). If they hear you and feel bad about it, it makes you feel like shit for being an immature asshole punk.

It busts me up every time though. :D

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

there used to be a LOT more gallows humor.. some older DZ's even had "Crater Tours".. like so and so went in here.

Look up the Airborne song. " Blood Upon the Risers"

In moderation its ok.. but eventually in this sport... you WILL witness an accident... fatality...:(

Jeanne

Are there cultural norms in skydiving that aren't generally taught like, "don't joke about (potential, not actual) accidents/incidents because they aren't funny"?

That depends a lot on where you jump, I think. I used to jump at a small DZ where it felt like nothing bad ever happened, because nothing bad ever did. We made sick jokes about going in all the time, and they all seemed pretty damn funny back then.

Now I'm at a large DZ where thorugh sheer volume of jumps, accidents do happen. Nobody jokes about it here. I've lost a few friends in the last couple years (including one at that small DZ) and now, those jokes just aren't funny to me anymore either. Our sense of humor has everything to do with our life experience.

I'm a musician who's broken a leg. I'd love to never hear "break a leg, Betsy" again, but it's awfully funny to watch people's faces when they realize that might not be the best way to wish me luck...:P.

IMHO:

In some contexts, skydiving humor is a healthy and highly effective coping mechanism in a stressful environment. Sometimes it's just plain fun. In other contexts - if it is in reference to a specific tragedy, or carelessly offensive to someone, the same humor can be distasteful and inappropriate.

Just basic humanity here... but aren't skydivers a somewhat skewed subset of humanity?

Golfer screws up, sounds like: (Whack) ... "Oh, shit!"
Skydiver screws up, sounds like: "Oh, shit!" ... (Whack).

B|

Chad

good friends, blue skies, and sweet, sweet altitude...

Is skydiving humor funny or insensitive and inappropriate?

Isn't that why it's funny?:D

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think that particular cartoon is funny to skydivers because it is so close to true. You know that if all 4 members of AZ Airspeed had a broken leg, there would still be a lot of creeper dives going on. "Dude, watch out! You banged me in the head with your f^*&ing cast!" And when they got out of their casts, they'd have a few blocks mastered even better than before.

My good buddy Yardhippie currently has a busted leg. He went to Rantoul for nig-noggery anyway, and he darn near got hiself killed, cast and all, trying to get video of the latenight goings-on. BTW, his high-speed golf cart video is hilarious and well worth a watch if you catch him at the dz.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

What bothers me is people that don't skydive that think accidents are funny. Example.

I was watching AFV a while back and they showed someone at Bridgeday plow into a huge boulder sticking out of the river (under canopy). The guy bounces off and lands on his back about 10-15feet away. Everyone in the audience was laughing outloud... I am sitting on my couch thinking shit..he just busted his pelvis.

Anyway, when we joke (as someone already mentioned) I think it is just the way some fo use cope with the fact that we are in stressful situations. It helps to kid around about what we know could happen to any of us.

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Whether we want to admit it or not, there's a level of underlying stress that we have to deal with in our sport. Most of us go a little tight in the gut when we open the door, but once we're out the door it's just too beautiful. Then we stress again at breakoff and opening. It's been documented over and over with pulse rates and stuff like that. So we do our best to be careful, watch out for ourselves, our gear, the other guy/girl and the gear they're wearing ("uh, you want to hook up your chest strap there ?"). The other thing we do is make the most awful jokes about it. It's sort of like Halloween, people blow off their fears of demons, monsters, and the undead by pretending to be one of them and misbehaving.

One of our favorites - we would never get away with it these days - was to have one of us lie face down in the parking lot with all their gear on. The rest of us would come running with shovels and a wheelbarrow, saying things like "aw not again, that's the second time this week !". That was for the benefit of the FJC of course...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

On my very first jump my JM pointed out a coffin-shaped mine dump in the distance and then pointed to the golf course below and asked "Wouldn't you rather be playing golf right now?" I cracked up laughing (probably from the nerves) but I never did take up golf.
In the evenings we would sit for hours listening to the older folk regalling each other with 'war-stories', 'noshitthereIwas' stories and 'sick' jokes. Comes with the territory I reckon, although some people are more sensitive than others and one should respect that.

is this one really genuine ??? I laugh at it...
we had a tandem accident a few weeks ago, the passenger really enjoyed the jump, had 2 broken ankles and a tibia too...But he was laughing and joking, so we laughed and joked with him, even got him on VDO when he was getting in the ambulance.
2 weeks ago, not the same attitude at all when 16 year old student broke her elbow 5 meters away from me. She was really hurt, and there was no joking about... until we visited her at hospital :P
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579