SDiver218

What did you feel like on your first solo?

I graduated AFF and did my first solo jump a few weeks ago, and instead of practicing turns, tracking and whatnot, I just kept in a stable arch and tried to truly experience what it was like to freefall. I remember that it was the first time that I actually realized the full impact of what I was doing because I wasn't focusing on anything other than enjoying the freefall. I spent the entire time just looking around, watching the ground come up to meet me (although I know its actually the other way around). I can honestly say that although I didn't really do anything significant, it was the most fun I've had on a jump...

It was during that jump when I realized that jumping out of an airplane is by far the best thing I've ever experienced. I'm hooked.

Does anyone else have any first jump experiences they'd like to share?

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk. - Barney Gumbal

yeah dude my first few solos were total brain fucks. Wow I really AM free falling through the sky!!! This is the shiiiit!!!

Hehe, rock on brother, blue skies! :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

My first solo jump was incredible. I was going to the plane, just planning on doing a nice stable exit, when my old jumpmaster asked me what i was doing. Another skydiver told me i had to do a forward roll out the plane. I didn't even realize that i could do that. I told nickie that, and she said "oh ya, that's a must", so i did a forward roll out the plane, and found myself in the air all by myself. It was the weirdest, and one of the awesomest feelings i ever had.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

haha I did a backward roll out the door of the Otter last saturday while waving and screeming at the Tandems. I held the position and did about 1K ft worth of backloops B| now that was fun haha. This wasn't my first solo though. Since I'm a S/L baby all my jumps have been solos

HELL YES!!!

I have five of those puppies under my belt. You are correct!

My first was alot like yours, just held heading and tripped on it. Watchin mother earth scream towards me.

Just the coolest shit in the world.

Blue Skies, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Someday we'll do RW!!! Race you to the A :-)

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

You're right...it is some cool ass shit.

BTW, how's the DZ's up in St Louis? I might be headng up there early next year to visit a couple of buddies of mine.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk. - Barney Gumbal

Here's what I wrote about my first solo.

My altimeter broke....

Enjoy!

(BTW, I started having "fun" after about 30 more jumps....:S...that's when I took the canopy control class and learned how to fly my canopy....)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hmm, my first two solos were amazing, it was a truly awesome feeling...

Can't really explain it beyond that.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I will never forget my first jump, which just happened to be all by my lonesome. I remember the jumpmaster telling me to "Stand In The Door!" I got in the door and hung myself out in the wind, checked in, did the prop up down, let go with my hands and WHAM i was gone. I remember myself falling away from the plane like it was yesterday. It was when i saw that plane growing smaller so quickly that I realized what i was doing. After what seemed like 10 sec (I admit seeing that plane flying away so freaked me out and i lost count) i pulled and was under canopy. After a couple deep breaths i looked around and took in the scenary and I just started screaming at the top of my lungs, I was so excited about what i had just done. And that was when i became hooked. Well thats my story.

B Moore

'Turbulence is a bitch'

yeah I know how you feel man... One of my first jumps off student status I just held a heading and looked around. I didn't have to do manuevers or try to dock on anybody... I just kinda floated there. It just felt right, you know?

MB 3528, RB 1182

My first (and only, so far) solo jump was awesome. I did a forward flip, tracked for a few seconds, looked at my altimeter and realized I still had 2 grand to fuck off, so I just looked at the horizon, and it was the most amazing feeling. Also, for the first time, I was completely relaxed in freefall, probably cuz I didn't have to prove anything to anybody. I can't wait to finish my last 2 coach jumps so I can do it again!

So far I've done four solos (no coach jumps yet), and each one has been better than the last. The first one I just fell in a stable arch all the way to 4500, and each time I've added one new thing that I do. That's just what makes me the most comfortable at this point. But at one point in time during my first solo, I actually started laughing. Someone at my DZ told me right before I jumped that his first solo was almost comical-- you look at your alti, and you're at 12k. You wait awhile, look back, and you're at 11k. It seems to last forever (but in a very good way). He also said it 's funny, because the thought went through his head, "What am I doing out here? I'm just falling through the sky all alone. It's almost silly." So I had a good laugh right around 6k when my brain cleared, and then it was almost time to wave and pull. I had always thought that I would pee in my pants when it was time for my first solo, but I wasn't anywhere near as nervous as I had been when I was on any of my AFF jumps. Weird, huh? :S I loved it, though, and my only complaint about skydiving is that it really makes my Monday-Friday workweek suck bigtime. I'm living for the weekends now!

Blue Skies!
Kelly

The best feeling ever. I remember it VIVIDLY. I was the last one in the plane. There were numerous big-breasted women at my home DZ so we were at like 16.5 and I was just sitting there looking out the door at huge puffy clouds. Just me and the pilots. I just jumped out and took it all in. Didn't do anything the entire free fall but slowly turn and look. I will never forget it.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

***I just kept in a stable arch and tried to truly experience what it was like to freefall. I remember that it was the first time that I actually realized the full impact of what I was doing because I wasn't focusing on anything other than enjoying the freefall

,ist was exactly like this and this i did for the next 5 solos..... always blue skies and fun in the air, christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

All my jumps 1-9 were solo, I went thru a static line progression method.
Now ask me about my first jump off student status...
I was ecstatic, barrelrolling, front/backflipping, spinning and diving all over the skyB|!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

haha I did a backward roll out the door

I haven't done a backward roll yet. Got to try that one. I did start doing backdives out the otter. That's a fun one to try.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Yea, when I landed safely I kinda felt just to make sure I didnt actully shit my pants...:D and told myself this is the ground im on now...Chill...man I loved it..B|
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

I also did static line, but my first jump off student status was one of the most exciting jumps I've ever had! I bombed the door and went semi head down, it was actually like a steep slow turning track. Then I did some barrelrolls and back and front loops. It was the best feeling to be so free and to do what ever I wanted to do on the dive after having a set plan for all of the jumps preceding it!
Man I love this shit:ph34r:

I just did my first solo this weekend! Man I was kinda worried about it at first because the owner of the DZ came up and said "Hey, you are on the manifest but we do not have enough instructors but if you want you can go up and do a solo." I was like umm huh . . . serious? And she said "Yeah, I would not offer unless I was 100% sure you could handle it." I almost chickened out (I am going through AFF) I thought I was not ready but I figured "What the hell. I'll do it. That is what it is all about anyway."

So I did a floater exit and I had planned on doing 360's and a couple of front flips but when I dropped and was belly down I took a look and it almost brought me to tears. The was "industrial haze";) at around 4,000 and the sun was at about 10:00. I could not see the ground through the clouds and I thought, "God is Awesome! Look at this gift!" And for the first 20 seconds all I could do was look around and I started laughing, then I did some 360's and thought man I bet I could do those faster and I kept doing it over and over and finally threw my hackey just above the "haze". Everyone could hear me yelling and laughing as I came through it. It was actually one of the most spiritual experiences I ever had. I am so done for the rest of my life. I will do this until I die.

I have been wanting this since I was five and I cannot believe I waited till now to finally do it. I got a lot of time to make up for. But man is it going to be fun doing it! Dreams can come true!:D