dkf1979

How many of you DON'T wear altimeters?

I've forgotten mine one and given it to other jumpers who have forgotten theirs twice.

I'm comfortable eye-balling if I'm current and familiar with the DZ.

It'll be a little harder to forget my alti now though, I just attached my Neptune to my left glove for the winter.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

4way altimeter bad? I don't understand. Forgive me i'm a rookie.

if you're looking at your alti, you're not paying attention to the task at hand (you're not seeing the next grip you have to take or the cue you need to move to the next formation). Of course, this is typically only done by those who are very comfortable with jump timing, etc., so as a rookie, you should be thinking...altimeter good B|, audible good B|

Shane

in 4way altimeter BAD! , dytter GOOD!
if your team catches you lookin .

What BS!!!!

I have jumped without an Alti...for about 600 jumps, but I prefer to have one.

And as a matter of fact I have one on my rig....And almost all I do is 4way.

I guess thats bad?

Altimeter #1. My eyeballs. They are not supper accurate, but if they break I have a bigger issue.

Altimeter#2. My Alti III. More accurate than my eyes, very reliable..But it can break. But when it breaks it easy to tell its broken.

Alimeter #3. My Pro Dytter. More of a break off warning. If it breaks you will not know until you are lower than you wanted to be...A very bad device to become dependant on..But I also use my internal clock, eyes, my altimeter, and my 4 way team members eyes, internal clocks, altimeters and audibles to signal break off.

Anything else is stupid.

And if my group had issues with me looking at my altimeter....Well I would find a new group...Its hard to win a meet if you are dead.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

if you're looking at your alti, you're not paying attention to the task at hand (you're not seeing the next grip you have to take or the cue you need to move to the next formation).

You may not need altimeter between 13,000ft and 2,000ft (freefall and "tasks"), but what about malufunctions after deployment and a need to know your hard deck, etc...? [:/]

On my very last AFF jump, went out with altimeter, but it fell off after a backloop, was scared shit, thank god my JM saw it and got on the ground to tell them to radio me in, had previously left instructions to not give me canopy advice unless i was really screwing up. I am sure some day, I will be ok if something like that happens again, but at that point in time, was definitely rattled by it. So yeah, have jumped without one, but not by choice. [:/]

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

You may not need altimeter between 13,000ft and 2,000ft (freefall and "tasks"), but what about malufunctions after deployment and a need to know your hard deck, etc...?

Don't misunderstand me. I am well aware of the importance of altimeters (I wear an Alti III and an audible) as well as mental timing and using my eyes. I would never recommend jumping w/o one (though I know some who don't). My statement was regarding those who complete in 4way and DO wear visual alti's but do not monitor them under normal conditions during freefall because of the task at hand.

Shane

: in 4way altimeter BAD! , dytter GOOD!
if your team catches you lookin .

I've seen alot of teams who not only have one on their wrist but on their hip harness also. They can see a altimeter where ever they are, at any time.

Safety is free use all you want!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

2000+ jumps without an altimeter. I always jump in groups and someone always has a Altimeter. I just break off when the first person does. My internal clock is usually good enough that I am aware of breakoff time when it comes.

On the occasional birdman, I will borrow a wrist mount for the jump.

It works for me. Your mileage may vary.:S
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

in 4way altimeter BAD! >:(, dytter GOOD! B|
if your team catches you lookin B|.

In case you are not aware of famous dytter-involved incident happened several years ago to famous 4-way team, look at Documented Cypress saves http://www.pia.com/SSK/saves02b.htm

Base698, laughed out loud at that one, I had a sandal launch a solo from 3k once, thought it gone for good till some one starts asking "who left their sandal in the pea gravel?". Would have been cheaper to replace though than an alti.
I sympathize with you... as I had my helmet and ditter knocked off me once when some one flew a hard mid warp on me. Tracked off and flipped over immediantly, but never saw it...

Never jumped without an alti, but I think I would. If I was at the dz with only a rig and a load was going up, I'd probably go sans alti. I would be aprehensive and more nervous than normal, but as others said, my first alti is my eyes. I can't say my eyes are as accurate as I'd like, but I can tell the difference between say 5 or 6k and 3k.

I have 1000 dives without any alti, mainly 4 way.

We got sucked down once, and my eyeballs saved me - but I started wearing one after that.

I now wear a wrist mount and a Pro Dytter. I sometimes wear another one on the legstrap (Thanks Chuck!;)) but that's used mainly for confirming visuals cues for swoops (or a replacement for one forgotten on the load, or sometimes in a sit)

Funny how at 1000 dives I never needed one, and now I sometimes wear 2 visual + Audio.

t
It's the year of the Pig.