panzwami

what's the lowest you've ever exited?

What's the lowest altitude AGL that you've ever exited an aircraft?

Was the exit planned that low, or was there an emergency that caused it?

(by the way, I'm talking about sport jumps. I know military jumps are usually done pretty low.)

Edited to add: Did you go out on your main, or your reserve?

Matt
-----

the equivelant of a first floor balcony was my lowest jump... almost broke my ancle

hm ... what was the airspeed of the aircraft?

I've got no idea.

PC? Slider?

Standard skydiving setup, as far as I can tell. I just have the video. I wasn't present for the actual jump, which was probably made long before I ever made a parachute jump of any kind.

I wonder what Steve would have thought of the current news events re: Libyans shooting down the plane he was supposed to be on...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

400'

Night combat jump in the military. Was supposed to be 800'. Pilot flew over a four hundred foot hill (the panels were a little far out, but we weren't informed of a 400' hill on the dz during the MACO briefing.

Whole stick got out. I did my four thousand count, checked canopy and WHAMMO!!. Hit the dirt. I looked up at my canopy wondering what the hell I missed. Then, I thought is anything busted. About then, a Major landed next to me and got a concussion, so I helped him out till medics arrived.

All in all the whole stick landed after exiting at 400' and no serious injuries.

military round (Bravos) at normal C-130 exit speed. Whew! That coulda been a really bad night.

500' using skydiving gear (my Glide Path Maverick) packed slider up, with a regular skydiving pullout pc on a short 5' CRW bridle...

It was supposed to be 900' (two weeks after Bridge Day, '88, jumping into a party) but we forgot that the party was about 400' higher than the dropzone... We knew it looked low, but we figured from 900' it would look low anyways - then when we landed (short canopy rides) we realized our altimeters were still reading 400'. Missed my pud the first time I reached for it, too.

After we landed we went up to the owner (who hadn't been there for the jump) and said (at a buck per thousand feet, here's your 50 cents...)

Funniest thing was that there was a guy from the Ministry at the party. He never said anything about it, but he probably would've liked to. Looking back on it it wasn't probably fair to dz owner, although the jump was off the dz, however at least because he didn't know about it beforehand he shouldn't have had any liability ....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Working on my pro I exited from 2,000 feet. Got all the way to my 7th jump and had to start over again. I figured the lower I got out, the better my chance of not messing up.

Also did a four way launch from 2,000 feet at WFFC some years ago due to low clouds. We got three points. Not interested in doing that again.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

1600' just under the clouds. C-182

JM to the pilot,

"Ok, when I tell you to climb, climb into the clouds to get us a couple hundred extra feet"

Pilot
"Okay"

Jumper's in the back:

"You going"

"Man, I don't know, maybe. You?"

"Hell, yes I'm going"

"We'll I go too, I guess."

JM "Okay climb"

Jumpmaster counting then "Okay cut!"

Jumper sitting student. "NO! NO CUT! We need the airspeed!"

Sound of four canopies opening in the clouds, right over the DZ.

Just another cloudy, rainy day at the DZ.B|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE