Tinkerbelle

what is the most relaibly softest opening canopy?

What is the most reliably soft opening canopy, and not just a sniveler and popper like I found the Spectre to be? I have tried so many, and still I find my sabre if packed properly is the softest and most reliable, but then again it has 1000s of jumps on it by now. I got 2 badly herneated discs in my neck way back before '92 when it was new and had first come out. If anyone else packs it it might still hurt me as it did recently. With a neck injury already I need one which will not hurt me again. As it is medics say if I try to jump again I may end up in a wheelchair! I will not stop skydiving despite those odds, just need to know how most safely to do it now with a bomb ready to go off in my neck!

I love stillettos, fun to fly, and a 120 is perfect, but they can open off heading in a dive. I think I would like the slowest, softest, easiest tugboat just for safety sake. I'll have fun in the sky flying. I just want a gentle parachute to set me softly on the ground so I can go up in the sky and fly some more.

Its called a "sitontheground 135" If you use it, you never get a hard opening. Canopies are made of fabric and lines, and all function because of the laws of physic's. There will never be a canopy made that wont potentially slam you, while some are more consistent they all will at one time wake you up when opening. I for one love my Velocity openings, but I have heard a few people complain about them, no canopy will keep 100% of the people happy.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I've found the Silhouette line of canopies to be very reliable openers. Not super soft, but no slammers either. I've put maybe 200 jumps on one on jumps from birdman to demos to regular RW. My safire has never slammed me either over about 500 jumps. I just got a Pilot, and I think that will be a very nice opener as well, but I only have about 20 jumps on it so far, so it's too soon to tell.

Hey Mr. Smartipants,
Give my sweet Carl a big hug and a kiss (on the cheek, no cooties) from me! I will see you at the end of March for my B-day and Carl's in April with my sitontheground 135, so be nice, or I'll have to beat you up when I get there! B|
Say, how do you like my icon? I don't know if Carl has seen it yet, but I told him about it, and he said he would check it out! Aren't we cute together?! :$ That was taken at the Nationals in Eloy, 2001

What is the most reliably soft opening canopy, and not just a sniveler and popper like I found the Spectre to be?

I have something like 1800 jumps and zero reserve rides on Spectres loaded at about 1.2:1 to 1.3:1 depending on how much food I eat and how much I've been working out.

I use these same canopies for -everything-: fun jumps, camera jumps, PRO Accuracy, CRW camera. I'm not a super swooper, but I know people that can swoop the -hell- out of them.

My two Spectres open -very- reliably (over 1800 jumps and no cutaways), very much on-heading and very smooth and soft even if I just throw it at a packer. They seem to do pretty much the same thing on almost every jump.

Is it possible that the Spectre you tried was out of line trim or packed oddly?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I tried Melanie Conatser's 107, of which I spoke. I also demoed a 120 I think it was. It was the 107 that opened like crap, but then again I am not used to stuff below 120. I though the Spectre with dacrom lines would be ideal before I tried one. In theory, that should be perfect for questionable necks. I know Mikey McGown wears about 20 lbs of camera on his head and jumps a stiletto 120 I think just like Carl, but Mikey is built like a tank and weight lifts all day so he could probebly hold a building on top of his head and still not lose his head on opening, that is unless there was a cute chick near by! I think I would like a stiletto, just because they seem all around good and are well proven by now. I am a scardy cat. I don't want one of those new high speed Mach 12 furious canopies that scrapes you across the ground at 70 mph! :S
Oh, by the way, and I'm gonna need someone to pay for it too!

i also have a safire (with hooknswoop's mod done) and love the way it opens... but it needs a reline soon so i have to send it in....... as for another canopy that opens great is the crossfire.. my frirnd joey at my dz has one and it is a dream.... opens softer than my safire even..... doesn't tkae to much altitude but wel it's the same force per say all the way through instead of being harder in the middle and softer atthe begining and end.....

The mod changes the breaks configuration and improves the flair mainly but the openings as a side result. I've heard the Safire2 uses something similar in design. Sure would be nice if Icarus would have gave credit to Derek for it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What is the most reliably soft opening canopy, and not just a sniveler and popper like I found the Spectre to be?

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks the Spectre snivels then pops - never a hard pop but still a pop. I've done a handful of jumps on the Aerodyne Pilot and found the openings on that very soft - hard to make a decent judgment on it with so few jumps on it though.

Vicki

I have about 600 jumps on my Crossfire and that thing is smoooooooooth. On opening I can just lay back in my harness and hang while watching the canopy slowly and extremely sofly open. There is nothing better that I have expereinced. :)
You just can't go wrong with a Crossfire or Spectre.
Que sera sera